Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Jackie Bradley Jr be traded?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    JBJ can't hit. Who waits for a guy to get "streaky". That's crazy. And is far from the best defensive outfit in baseball. He is smooth. He gets a good jump on the ball, then tthrows it to the wrong base---off line/

No, his defense is very much over rated. Watch the guy from the Rays, for example. As under rated as JBJ is over rated. Spectacular plays, yes. Of any value a this time. No.

Before the season gegan I lobbied (daily) for the Sox to get rid of him. My thought was to bring back Swihart as the left fielder. Put Benni in center. Swiahart has, I think, given up. The last time I looked, he was hitting about .200. So I was right and I was wrong. Par for the course.
    ZiPS and Steamer project rest-of-season wRC+ of 97 and 105 for Jackie Bradley Jr. and 75 and 75 for Blake Swihart, who has posted a wRC+ of 71 in 52 plate appearances at Pawtucket this year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...176&position=C

I hope we can agree on which player is the better defender.

All-Star
    We know JBJ can hit...we also know he's streaky as hell. This year, unlike 2016, he's started off cold, so his overall numbers look like dog shit. He's also had a stint on the DL and has only played in 16 games. Give it time.

I am bemused that anyone would "lobby daily" to get rid of Bradley just so that we could put Swihart in left, but perhaps I should leave it at that.

If JBJ was in his hitting zone, we would be up about 3 more games than now.

He'll turn the corner and carry the team a month or two. It's coming, just wait.....
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    ZiPS and Steamer project rest-of-season wRC+ of 97 and 105 for Jackie Bradley Jr. and 75 and 75 for Blake Swihart, who has posted a wRC+ of 71 in 52 plate appearances at Pawtucket this year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...176&position=C

I hope we can agree on which player is the better defender.
    Harm , Any word from Steamer on when the Mariners might finally win a pennant?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Harm , Any word from Steamer on when the Mariners might finally win a pennant?
    I don't think Steamer makes those projections, but FanGraphs currently projects the Seattle Mariners with a 2017 record of 80-82:

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts...Standings#AL-W

So the chances of a Mariner pennant this year are slipping away. I hope to witness another Seattle pennant in my lifetime but at age 61 my time is running out.

Nevertheless thanks for asking.

Trivia: In the three-plus seasons since Boston won the 2013 World Series, the Red Sox have a record of 257-258 while the Mariners have a record of 262-254.
    Last edited by harmony; 05-06-2017 at 12:35 PM.

I love JBJ, but alas, while there's almost a dead certainty that a 'streaky hitter' will go cold, there is no certainty whatsoever that such a hitter will get hot.
    Last edited by jad; 05-06-2017 at 06:15 PM.

I really think that some people undervalue defense.

I also think that some people tend to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I also think that some people tend to panic.
    This is true. The "trade JBJ" seems like it comes up every season, then again in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I love JBJ, but alas, why there's almost a dead certainty that a 'streaky hitter' will go cold, there is no certainty whatsoever that such a hitter will get hot.
    Read this morning that JBJ's K/BB ratio is currently 2.3, which is exactly what it was last season. His BABIP last year was was .312 and it was .310 in 2015. His current BABIP is .231.

While there is no certainty that JBJ's bat will heat up, that data suggests that it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    This is true. The "trade JBJ" seems like it comes up every season, then again in the off season.
    Yeah, so does the "fire Farrell". I'm not saying that Farrell is without his share of the blame, I just think it's too early to make such rash decisions.

All-Star
    Trading JBJ would be crazy, great center fielder and when he gets hot he can carry the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    Trading JBJ would be crazy, great center fielder and when he gets hot he can carry the team.
    His slumps are too severe and prolonged.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Just to be clear - I do not want Swihart being out OF instead of JBJ - that is absurd and not sure why it was brought it up. I was hoping in off season we'd trade for a potential 3B as I DIDN'T trust fat as.. and I still dont

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    We agree on this.