Register now to remove this ad

Page 53 of 171 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Jackie Bradley Jr be traded?

The biggest differences between Manny and JDM is that Manny was a better fielder and a better hitter.

Do we really have so much confidence in our offense that we'd be willing to screw up what's one of the best overall outfields in baseball because our GG caliber DF'er is streaky?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The biggest differences between Manny and JDM is that Manny was a better fielder and a better hitter.

Do we really have so much confidence in our offense that we'd be willing to screw up what's one of the best overall outfields in baseball because our GG caliber DF'er is streaky?
    Godamn, I hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Godamn, I hope not
    It strikes me as being another solution in search of a problem.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    JBJ is really not off to a bad start with the stick. He's making good contact - only 7 K's.

Where have you been BTW?
    This is a good trend. Hope it continues. Put the ball in play is good. He was striking out every 3.5 at bats before this season, with a HR with every 30.5 at bats, not good. He hits the ball up the middle and other way he's a .280 hitter. Pull the ball in a hitters count. He's a .300 hitter.
    I hope he is finally seeing, Power is not the answer, contact is.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 04-20-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Maybe some hard luck...

2018 BAbip

.422 JMart
    .414 Bogey
    .373 Betts
    .367 Moreland
    .354 HRam
    .353 Devers

.295 MLB average

.288 Beni
    .262 Vaz
    .255 Nunez
    .250 Holt
    .245 JBJ

(JBJ is 7th out of 12 on the hard hit% list at 32% and has hit the ball "softly" only 10% of the time -- 3rd best on the team.)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post

I don't think that there is any reason at all to break that outfield up but it does make the concept of resting everybody more palatable. I don't think JD is as bad as people seem to think he is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I don't think that there is any reason at all to break that outfield up but it does make the concept of resting everybody more palatable. I don't think JD is as bad as people seem to think he is out there.
    I guess when you compare him to JBJ and Betts, then it's a striking differential.

When Pedey comes back, Nunez may be squeezing into the LF conversation.

One thing that stands out sharply this year is JBJ's having very little success against lefthanded pitching. Being able to shape his playing time in favor of his platoon strengths is a luxury we definitely have this year.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    One thing that stands out sharply this year is JBJ's having very little success against lefthanded pitching. Being able to shape his playing time in favor of his platoon strengths is a luxury we definitely have this year.
    The thing is, JBJ has not always been horrible vs LHPs.

vs LHPs/ vs RHPs
    2018: .432/ .731 (just 12 PAs vs LHPs)
    2017: .766/ .713
    2016: .673/ .902
    2015: .918/ .791

Career: .698/ .735

JBJ probably has one of the narrowest career lefty-righty differential on the team. (I think Holt's might be the narrowest.)

Deity
    Glad to have you back with us Dojji and good luck. I don't think that Cora is nervous at all about using JD occasionally out there. so far so good although I admit it hasn't always looked pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    there is nothing good or elite about JDM in the outfield.
    Weakening the defense (considerably, IMO) in 2 outfield spots is not my idea of a smart move.

I'm with you. JBJ all the way in CF, regardless of how he's hitting.

I was fired from my job at the call center last year, and I've had my head down trying to find new work. No luck so far. I'm not technically unemployed since I'm volunteering for my church on a part time basis, but the money situation is... distinctly unfun.

The offseason was so boring I simply had nothing to say, since we all knew the Red Sox would more or less sit pat. And April in a baseball forum is mostly a time for unserious "If this trend continues" jokes that I got tired of 10 years ago.

And I agree, there's nothing wrong with JBJ. But we have 3 other elite outfielders so if his bat disappears on him, or he continues to be his usual super streaky self, Beni, Betts and Martinez could Wally Pipp him between them pretty easily.
    Sorry to hear that Dojji. Best wishes to you.

He really has been that bad.

I'll reserve judgment on how he is this year until he's had more playing time. I've seen some decent plays so far, but I've also seen some questionable ones.

True. And it also allows for Moreland to play more often. Add his pop is of significant benefit.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I grit my teeth each time a ball is hit to left with him out there.
    I do to but so far he has made the plays. He hasn't looked stellar on every play but he has done the job. Cora is going to rest his guys and run them through a rotation. We've seen that. Moreland is going to be at first a good deal. Ramirez is going to be doing some dhing and JD is going to see some action in the outfield. I know how you feel about Martinez and his fielding but Cora must have some confidence in him I guess.