Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: Should the Red Sox Acquire Adrian Beltre from the Texas Rangers?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, cut ties with Panda and eat his contract.

4 30.77%
  • Yes, relegate Panda to the bench in a platoon role.

2 15.38%
  • No, stick with Panda when he returns from injury and keep him well stocked with belts.

3 23.08%
  • No, get another third baseman to fill the void

4 30.77%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Should the Red Sox Acquire Adrian Beltre?

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Many folks on Red Sox forums would not have traded Anderson Espinoza for Drew Pomeranz, Manuel Margot, Javier Guerra, Logan Allen and Carlos Asuaje for Craig Kimbrel, or Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe and Victor Diaz for Chris Sale. The initial negative reaction to each trade ranged from mild to harsh. Through a grieving-type process, many Sox fans came to accept each trade.

My point is that perceived value evolves over time. Before a trade a fan tends to overvalue the assets of his or her team while undervaluing the assets of other teams. A trade itself can change the perception.
    But the FO should not have a false impression of the value of their assets or they are not doing their job. Devers is pretty close to MLB ready. He is a much more valuable chip then all of the others traded except for Moncada (and he netted us a super star starting pither)
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    If the Rangers fall out of it - it's possible ... although Gallo can move to 1st base too. The additional year of control makes Beltre more expensive. Olney on ESPN noted that the team is scouting Devers (who has gotten off to a pretty ridiculous start at Portland as one of the youngest regulars in AA - small sample sizes of course) to see whether simply bringing him up in June, putting his at the #9 position and let him figure it out.

Now Devers could be moved for a starting pitcher ... but I think the team also strategically emptied its biggest bullets on that front already. They kept Devers over Moncada for a reason.

Deity
    With respect to keeping Devers over Moncada, i don't think that they were really looking that far ahead. Substitute Devers for Moncada and I'm pretty sure Sale does not come to Boston. No one really had a thought of Devers potentially being in Boston this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    With respect to keeping Devers over Moncada, i don't think that they were really looking that far ahead. Substitute Devers for Moncada and I'm pretty sure Sale does not come to Boston. No one really had a thought of Devers potentially being in Boston this summer.
    I agree. Moncada was the Big Blue Chip with the "Can't Miss" tag.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Who is beating the drum to do this now? That is in your head. We are looking down the road. Texas isn't going to start selling off stars in May. No team is, but as we progress through June if they are still in last place I think Beltre will be available around the All Star break. Generally, no one makes deals before the All Star Break. No one is panicking. We are just planning and shopping around. There is a huge hole at 3B defensively and offensively (against LHP especially) even if Panda is healthy. It is not going to resolve itself. A new player from within or outside the organization is needed to solidify that glaring weakness. That is not panic It is sound judgment based on observation.
    There are fans who are most definitely in panic mode. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    There are fans who are most definitely in panic mode. Just sayin'.
    You probably are right about that.

Legend
    These guys self scout constantrly - I think they knew they had something legit in Benintendi and Devers. I don't think they thought Devers would be in Boston this season - but he could be forcing them to re-look at it. It's early - but the signs are interesting. And we know DD will promote a guy aggressively if he believes in the kid.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    These guys self scout constantrly - I think they knew they had something legit in Benintendi and Devers. I don't think they thought Devers would be in Boston this season - but he could be forcing them to re-look at it. It's early - but the signs are interesting. And we know DD will promote a guy aggressively if he believes in the kid.
    I think that you are right. i hope that it doesn't turn out badly for Devers if in fact he is just not ready. Suspect Chavis will soon start to move up through the system as well. The contingency plan for what to do if Sandoval didn't do was weak and I'm sure that they were uncomfortable putting that much faith in a successful Pablo return. Like most here, i really wanted them to resign Beltre when they could have (should have - thanks whoever the gm was at the time) but I would not trade anyone that might make an impact for us for him now. Got to look ahead not behind. Sandoval will likely get one more shot but it won't surprise me if he is gone before this season ends. One way or another.

I think that you are right. i hope that it doesn't turn out badly for Devers if in fact he is just not ready. Suspect Chavis will soon start to move up through the system as well. The contingency plan for what to do if Sandoval didn't do was weak and I'm sure that they were uncomfortable putting that much faith in a successful Pablo return. Like most here, i really wanted them to resign Beltre when they could have (should have - thanks whoever the gm was at the time) but I would not trade anyone that might make an impact for us for him now. Got to look ahead not behind. Sandoval will likely get one more shot but it won't surprise me if he is gone before this season ends. One way or another.
    1. On the first bold statement, I agree. I know our situation at 3B has been bad with the # of injuries, but there really wasn't a good back up plan, in other words good depth, at 3B in case of a long term injury.

2. On the second bold statement,

Deity
    1. On the first bold statement, I agree. I know our situation at 3B has been bad with the # of injuries, but there really wasn't a good back up plan, in other words good depth, at 3B in case of a long term injury.

2. On the second bold statement,
    What do those little yellow circley things mean and how do you do that bold thing anyway? i might be able to get a little snarky(lol) if I learn how to pick and choose little things that I read from other people's postings. remember that I'm one of the guys here who isn't all that sharp. have trouble with big words and understanding advanced metrics.

i'm just fooling around - it is a rainy day (as it has been since the middle of April) and i am bored. You have a great Mother's Day!

What do those little yellow circley things mean and how do you do that bold thing anyway? i might be able to get a little snarky(lol) if I learn how to pick and choose little things that I read from other people's postings. remember that I'm one of the guys here who isn't all that sharp. have trouble with big words and understanding advanced metrics.

i'm just fooling around - it is a rainy day (as it has been since the middle of April) and i am bored. You have a great Mother's Day!
    Thank you, I am having a fabulously relaxing Mother's Day (so far).

Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful moms in your life.

Thank you, I am having a fabulously relaxing Mother's Day (so far).

Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful moms in your life.
    Happy Mothers Day!

Happy Mothers Day!
    Thank you!

I love Beltre but we already missed the boat on him. Too late now.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    I love Beltre but we already missed the boat on him. Too late now.
    Our recent history with FA and traded for field players is poor, while our home grown players has been good. Maybe we need to stay on our strength and bring up Devers instead of bringing in some has been star. Beltre was probably still capable and I am not knocking him but if I was selling the Brooklyn Bridge, I would look to the Sox front office
    for interest.