Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 International Signing Period

All-Star

2017-18 International Signing Period

Haven't seen a post/thread about this, but the July 2nd signing period is coming up, and with the Red Sox out of their penalty period, it's nice to see us linked to some legitimate international prospects once again (with a chance to go even bigger if we can trade for more pool money)...

Per Baseball America’s Ben Badler, the Red Sox are expected to land two top-10 international amateurs: catcher Daniel Flores and shortstop Danny Diaz, both from Venezuela.

Flores could be an elite big-league defender and has had high bonus demands. MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez ranked Flores as the second best prospect in this year's crop. Sanchez and Badler both expect Diaz and Flores to land with the Sox.

Wrote Badler: "Given Boston’s expected international activity, the Red Sox will probably be trading up for more international bonus pool money once they’re allowed to make a trade beginning on July 2."

Diaz "has advanced feel to hit for his age, uses the middle of the field and hits the ball hard now with a chance to develop plus power," and is likely bound for third base, per Badler.
    http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/...ngs-punishment

All-Star
    MLB.com's top 30 international prospects: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=int

Boston is expected to sign Daniel Flores (#2), Danny Diaz (#13), and Antoni Flores (#20).

A question about this process. If teams go over their spending limit on international prospects, what is the penalty? Is it the same penalty that existed when the Red Sox signed Moncada, etc. a few years ago? I'm pretty sure the rules were changed, but I don't recall the new penalties for over-the-limit spending.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    A question about this process. If teams go over their spending limit on international prospects, what is the penalty? Is it the same penalty that existed when the Red Sox signed Moncada, etc. a few years ago? I'm pretty sure the rules were changed, but I don't recall the new penalties for over-the-limit spending.
    As I understand it, there is no more "going over the limit" and paying a penalty...the new CBA includes a hard cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    As I understand it, there is no more "going over the limit" and paying a penalty...the new CBA includes a hard cap.
    Yup, that's the way I understand it as well. Now I could be wrong about this but I believe there are still a few teams that spent big the last two years who were under a weird restriction where they had their hard cap and also couldn't sign anyone for more than 300K but I'm uncertain.

It seems like the Red Sox were ok with signing a few extra guys by trading for extra pool space. The Sox invest heavily in South America and Latin America, and they've seem to of done better than most teams over the past decade, so lets hope that trend continues.

Thanks. So basically, with a hard cap, there is no more spending over the limit. A team that does go over the limit will probably lose all the players they signed.

This is a better system.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 08-07-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Yup, that's the way I understand it as well. Now I could be wrong about this but I believe there are still a few teams that spent big the last two years who were under a weird restriction where they had their hard cap and also couldn't sign anyone for more than 300K but I'm uncertain.

It seems like the Red Sox were ok with signing a few extra guys by trading for extra pool space. The Sox invest heavily in South America and Latin America, and they've seem to of done better than most teams over the past decade, so lets hope that trend continues.
    Very true. We did swing and miss on Castillo, but we have used many of our recent signings to put together packages for some good to great players. We currently have Sox-signed international players, Devers, Bogey, HRam, Lin and Velazquez (and others) on the roster.
    Chris Sale for Yoan Moncada, Luis Basabe, Victor Diaz and another
    Craig Kimbrel for Margot and others
    Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza
    Adisson Reed for Gerson Bautista and others
    Carson Smith for Jonathan Aro and another
    Marco Hernandez for Doubront
    Brock Holt for Stolmy Pimental and others

In the recent past, we also got Ziegler for Basabe and J Almonte and Jake Peaavy for Iggy and Montas-both Int'l FA signings

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Thanks. So basically, with a hard cap, there is no more spending over the limit. A team that does go over the limit will probably lose all the players they signed.

This is a better system.
    I agree I like it much better than an international draft. It is fairer, but it still allows some teams such as the Sox who scout and invest heavily in the area to come out better than other teams.

Yankees nabbed #4 Pereira, #11 Rojas, #16 Chirinos, and #28 Garcia.

Red Sox nabbed #2 Flores, #13 Diaz, #20 Flores
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Yankees nabbed #4 Pereira, #11 Rojas, #16 Chirinos, and #28 Garcia.

Red Sox nabbed #2 Flores, #13 Diaz, #20 Flores
    BA Rankings

Sox #2 Flores #7 Diaz #35 Flores

Not that it makes much of a difference, they are higher on Diaz and lower on Flores. I trust BA more with international guys but both the Yankees and Red Sox have done well with international guys. As a matter of fact, until recently the only real young talent the Yankees were able to bring in was international guys.

BA Rankings

Not that it makes much of a difference, they are higher on Diaz and lower on Flores. I trust BA more with international guys but both the Yankees and Red Sox have done well with international guys. As a matter of fact, until recently the only real young talent the Yankees were able to bring in was international guys.
    This was one area I felt the Sox would struggle with going forward, and one reason I feel there will be a "cliff" in 3-4 years. After these signings and word that the Sox are "in" on that two-way player from Korea is giving me reason to have hope I'll be wrong.

BA Rankings

And for every Gary Sanchez ($3 mil signee), there is a Luis Severino ($225K signee). It is difficult to predict how a 16 yr old will develop
    Hal sucks

All-Star
    Wasn't sure where else to put this, but in the wake of the Braves getting slammed with penalties for various international violations, I wonder if the Red Sox will make a run at Kevin Maitan or any of the other prospects whose contracts were voided.

The 13 players keep their bonuses from the Braves, must obtain new representatives and will be free to negotiate as free agents with other teams from Dec. 5 through Jan. 15.

As part of an agreement between MLB and the players' association, a club can use money from either its 2017-18 or 2018-19 signing bonus pool to sign a player but can't combine money from both pools in one contract. The first $200,000 of a signing bonus will not count against a team's limit, but the $300,000 maximum remains for teams subject to the penalty for exceeding their pool under the previous labor contract.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...oses-prospects

I am sure a lot of teams will be looking at those guys. There are a few more teams with big money. I bet the kids are waiting for the Otani sweepstakes to be over. At that point, there will be 5 or 6 other teams with more than $1 mil left in their 2017 budget. My bet is Maitan sees another 7 figure bonus, as well as the catcher whose name escapes me. The rest will probably not be significant
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I am sure a lot of teams will be looking at those guys. There are a few more teams with big money. I bet the kids are waiting for the Otani sweepstakes to be over. At that point, there will be 5 or 6 other teams with more than $1 mil left in their 2017 budget. My bet is Maitan sees another 7 figure bonus, as well as the catcher whose name escapes me. The rest will probably not be significant
    I already voiced my opinion on foreign players with Otani.

I'll say it here too, so all races are included since moonslav insinuated I am racist. Why bother in investing in all of these untested, unchallenged players from countries other than the DR? If they wanted to play with the big boys, they would have found a way to get to the US and compete collegiately. It almost seems like they go for the easy route, putting up huge numbers against AA competition and remaining where they are until they are 27/28 years old, then getting a huge payday.

Want proof of the inferior competition? Just take a look at these MLB flameouts:
    Orestes Destrade
    Randy Bass
    Julio Zuleta
    Tuffy Rhodes
    Alex Cabrera
    Wladimir Balentien

All of them were HUGE home run hitting stars in professional baseball outside of the MLB. Why? Because they were playing against A/AA quality players, thats why.