Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: clubhouse discord?

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101 View Post
    Sale flipped out on his front office, it had nothing to do with what anyone "thought of him" or dealing with pitching poorly.

I can't stand Price taking the "victim" stance and he's just making everything worse for him by making excuses and pretending he doesn't suck. No one wants to hear that you 'won' 2 playoff games, or hear you flat up make up a "success" vs the Yankees, or how you felt fine. The fans wouldn't be on his case a much if he just sacked up and shut up. No matter what, Boston fans will be on you if you don't perform, but it won't go any further than that... unless your a total excuse making cry baby like Price.
    In defense of Price, the entire season last year, he owned up to his performances. He didn't make any excuses.

That said, he does seem overly sensitive. I think he needs to stay off of Twitter. The team should ban him from social media. That seems to be the source of most of his angst.

Quote Originally Posted by tombirner View Post
    You'd be happy with an ERA of 4.00, several losing streaks, and getting shelled in the playoffs? For thirty million? Utterly bizarre.

Price has been a bust so far, there really is no counter-argument to this. His numbers are that of a #3 at best, he missed significant time with an injury that could be a concern for the future, and now he's throwing temper tantrums in the clubhouse. There's really no positive spin you can put on this. So far the signing has been a huge mistake.
    17 wins, 230 innings, ERA of 3.99, WHIP of 1.20 and 227 strikeouts is a bust? Yeah okay. This signing had to be made due to a certain GM fucking up the Lester situation and leaving us with massive holes in the rotation. If Price pitched every year of this contract, provided a 3 WAR, continues to eat innings and pitch above average, yeah, I'd be okay with it. Regardless of what Price did/does he was going to be labeled a bust by most people just due to the contract he signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    17 wins, 230 innings, ERA of 3.99, WHIP of 1.20 and 227 strikeouts is a bust? Yeah okay. This signing had to be made due to a certain GM fucking up the Lester situation and leaving us with massive holes in the rotation. If Price pitched every year of this contract, provided a 3 WAR, continues to eat innings and pitch above average, yeah, I'd be okay with it. Regardless of what Price did/does he was going to be labeled a bust by most people just due to the contract he signed.
    Maybe "bust" was too strong a word, but those numbers, specifically the ERA, along with his playoff performance, and now the possibility that he is becoming a distraction, are absolutely not worth 30 million. Come on, dude. He's been disappointing. if the Sox front brass could get rid of him for thirty million a year going forward, I almost guarantee they would.

I believe he is the highest paid pitcher in baseball... he's not remotely the best pitcher in baseball and has regressed significantly since signing the contract. How on earth can you be happy with that?
    Last edited by tombirner; 06-12-2017 at 06:56 AM.

[QUOTE=Maxbialystock;1066669]"Stupid thread title--really stupid."

I thought the question mark would clearly indicate that I was questioning whether there existed any discord in the clubhouse. Apparently I was mistaken! But at least it elicited a number of responses, including yours, making the post a reasonable discussion.
    Last edited by dustcover; 06-11-2017 at 12:04 PM.

yes, a bust.
    if he's choking on his own self in year 1 and year 2 of the 7 year contract....what do you think we are going to be seeing years 4, 5, 6, & 7???
    as for "having" to get price...there were other options...we could have had someone like Cueto for 65% of the salary.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    It's been reported that Price got into a heated exchange with a member of the media in the clubhouse following Wednesday night's game at Yankee stadium. Apparently a very serious confrontation. Does anyone know who Price's antagonist was?
    Fuck those media snowflakes. It's a non-story.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I disagree with that statement. The large majority of people had no issues with the contract given to Price.

Price was nowhere near a bust last year. He was disappointing, for sure, because we expected him to be our ace, and he did not perform to that level. However, he still put up decent numbers and contributed 4.5 fWAR. And I say that as one who was not a fan of the signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I disagree with that statement. The large majority of people had no issues with the contract given to Price.

Price was nowhere near a bust last year. He was disappointing, for sure, because we expected him to be our ace, and he did not perform to that level. However, he still put up decent numbers and contributed 4.5 fWAR. And I say that as one who was not a fan of the signing.
    IMO @$31M Price was going to be overpaid no matter what he did last year. That being said I wasn't terribly disappointed in last year's regular season performance. Of course his post season game is another story.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Yes and no IMO. I think most people thought of the Price contract as a sort of necessary evil - that we were forced to fork over because our rotation was so weak. But for $31 million a year he was expected to at least perform to his career averages.

I don't care about Price's contract. It's the cost of doing business and not having any high end arms in the minors.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")