Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 271

Thread: The Bullpen thread

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This bullpen 'should have' been a problem. Almost all of them have pitched better than expected, some much better.
    Bullpens are so unpredictable.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Here's an interesting question. Today is June 17.

    Which five Sox relievers have higher WAR (wins above replacement) ratings than Porcello, last year's Cy Young winner, and Price, our $210M starter?

    Answer: Kimbrel, Kelly, Barnes, Scott, and Abad.

    I might add that all but Barnes also have lower ERA's than our ace and very possible Cy Young this year, Chris Sale, whose ERA is 2.82, well below all our other starters.
    ERAs for RP'ers are tainted by the fact that they come into games with one or two outs sometimes. That greatly improves their chances at not allowing their own runners to score.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If you look at the Red Sox bWAR rankings right now you'd swear someone was putting you on.

    Kelly 7th, Pomeranz 10th, Barnes 11th, Robby Scott 12th.
    Wow.

    I'm assuming Kimbrell is first.

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Wow.

    I'm assuming Kimbrell is first.
    Kimbrel is 4th (with a 2.0) behind Mookie, Sale and JBJ.

  5. #20
    Relief pitchers always have lower ERA's than starters. even guys like Kershaw usually don't beat out closers in era.

  6. #21
    Red Sox Notes‏ @SoxNotes 5h5 hours ago

    Sox relievers have allowed 0 runs in their last 26.0 IP, the club’s longest scoreless streak since April 2004 (32.1 IP) (via @EliasSports).

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ERAs for RP'ers are tainted by the fact that they come into games with one or two outs sometimes. That greatly improves their chances at not allowing their own runners to score.
    Fine. Try this. Right now the rotation sucks and the bullpen is saving our asses.

    Or this. We lost three straight to the Indians in the ALDS last year because Price and Porcello gave the first two games away and Buchholz wasn't much better. But we got to the ALDS in September because the bullpen was great time and time again.

    I'll tell you why I don't buy that bs about all the advantages the bullpen has. When they come out there, they must deliver from the first pitch. Starters get to make mistakes and especially have bad first innings because we all accept that and hope that in the 2d or 3d inning they will "hit their stride." Sometimes relievers are sent out there with the bases loaded, but starters only encounter that by loading the bases all by themselves. Lots of lefties are sent out to get just one guy out. If you told a starter to do that, he would laugh in your face.

    Starters get all the money because they have great stuff and the good ones can regularly go 7 and 8 innings--good innings--but they only have to do that every five games or days. I think the hardest thing for a starter--and it is hard--is going thru the lineup 2, 3, and even 4 times. Relievers rarely have to do that.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Fine. Try this. Sometimes relievers are sent out there with the bases loaded, but starters only encounter that by loading the bases all by themselves.
    Max...one thing to consider in this scenario. if the reliever comes into the game in that situation and gives up a bases clearing double, none of those runs count against him. they all go against the starter. so does the reliever really care?
    other names i have posted under: none

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Max...one thing to consider in this scenario. if the reliever comes into the game in that situation and gives up a bases clearing double, none of those runs count against him. they all go against the starter. so does the reliever really care?
    There are separate stats for 'inherited runners' allowed to score.

  10. #25
    DRA - Deserved Run Average - It's the way to go.

    It takes into account, for both the starter and the reliever, how many inherited runners were allowed to score.

  11. #26
    Yikes! Looks like we jinxed the bullpen by starting this thread. Just kidding!

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    DRA - Deserved Run Average - It's the way to go.

    It takes into account, for both the starter and the reliever, how many inherited runners were allowed to score.
    Or atleast add 1/2 a run to the Starter (or previous pitcher) ERA and the other 1/2 to the Reliever's ERA who actually surrendered the run. Do this for every run given up.

  13. #28
    Holds are more important than Saves to me. 1 Reliever comes in with a 99 % with no Runners on base the other in critical situations. With the hold situation you need a Strike thrower, walks or throwing to hitter counts will kill you.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-22-2017 at 09:41 AM.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Or atleast add 1/2 a run to the Starter (or previous pitcher) ERA and the other 1/2 to the Reliever's ERA who actually surrendered the run. Do this for every run given up.
    But at the same time, it's not really fair to the bullpen guy if he comes in with the bases loaded and no one out, and induces a GIDP, and a run scores, and he be charged with anything.

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    But at the same time, it's not really fair to the bullpen guy if he comes in with the bases loaded and no one out, and induces a GIDP, and a run scores, and he be charged with anything.
    This is true. I wouldn't charge him anything for that. MLB has ppl to keep track of that though, i would think. If they have people to figure out a non-typical Save (tying run reaches the on-deck circle), they could figure this out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •