Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bullpen thread

The Bullpen thread

There has been a lot of talk about this teams rotation, but there somehow hasn't been a thread on the bullpen. The Bullpen was supposed to be one of the weaknesses of this team, especially after the Carson Smith and Thornburg injuries, but they've actually been really good. Kimbrel is having a dominant season, Joe Kelly has been elite set up man, Robby Scott has been fantastic, Matt Barnes has mostly been good (despite a few hiccups), and even Hembree has been okay as a middle reliever.. Shit, I can remember at least two games where Fernando Abad pitched 2+ innings and got a W in extra innings, he's even been really good. I never thought Blaine Boyer would be a solid contributor, I didn't even know he was still in league, much less in Bostons organization, but he's actually given the team some big innings lately also.

Looks like the pen has actually been a strength. I still think we could use at least one more solid arm, as I'm not sure what to expect of Scott in his 1st full MLB season, and Barnes and Hembree tend to be inconsistent and prone to meltdowns. I don't think we need an elite arm, but something similar to last years acquisition of Ziegler to sure up the back end.

Carson Smith could be that one more solid arm that you're talking about. It sounds like he's very close to returning.

And indeed, the pen has done a mighty fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Carson Smith could be that one more solid arm that you're talking about. It sounds like he's very close to returning.

And indeed, the pen has done a mighty fine job.
    I just can't convince myself that Smith will be a big time contributor this year. He's coming off a serious injury and we don't know if he'll be the same person. If he could come back, that would be awesome, but I still think we need another depth piece for the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I just can't convince myself that Smith will be a big time contributor this year. He's coming off a serious injury and we don't know if he'll be the same person. If he could come back, that would be awesome, but I still think we need another depth piece for the pen.
    He's a question mark, no doubt. Hopefully he gets back soon enough to give the team a good look before the trade deadline. If he can do the job, then our resources would be better served elsewhere.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    He's a question mark, no doubt. Hopefully he gets back soon enough to give the team a good look before the trade deadline. If he can do the job, then our resources would be better served elsewhere.
    Now we know Thornburg is out for the year so we have to hope that Smith can come back and give us some good innings. I agree, returning from an innjury puts a big "if" in expectations but one can hope.

I have been very pleasantly surprised by this pen, especially since I was counting on Thornburg to be a major piece and still thought the pen was our weakest pre-season link. Not "weak"
    but weakest.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post

Agreed, especially since it's not like Smith has an extensive track record as a successful MLB reliever. ..

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Agreed, especially since it's not like Smith has an extensive track record as a successful MLB reliever. ..
    Thornburg, too.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I have been very pleasantly surprised by this pen, especially since I was counting on Thornburg to be a major piece and still thought the pen was our weakest pre-season link. Not "weak"
    but weakest.
    Definitely. I didn't think they were "weak" but one of our weakest links for sure, along with 3B.

They've definitely performed better than we could've hoped. I'm really liking the way Joe Kelly is pitching, I've been calling for him to be a reliever for a while now, I'm glad it finally happened, he's been lights out. He just picked up his 3rd win and his ERA is down to 1.23..

Kelly, Barnes, Hembree, Scott..... Kibrel have been amazing and is in the top two reasons why we are in the position we are in..........

I love when it is bullpen time........ it pretty much means the game is shut down........

gebus I love having a good pen....... no more late game disasters.............

If Pom or whoever gets us to the 6th or for the love of good things the seventh........... they close the shit down...............

ps.... I hope I don't jinx their shit.....
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Kelly threw smoke tonight.

I joked with my friend that he struck a guy out with a 97 mph "change-up".

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    but weakest.
    This bullpen 'should have' been a problem. Almost all of them have pitched better than expected, some much better.

Deity
    This is a really dumb thread. Who cares about a bunch of stiffs who normally don't even sit in the dugout?

We need a Benintendi thread or a 3b thread or a JBJ thread. You know, something with real importance.

That said, right now and for most of this season the bullpen has been saving our ass.

This is the first season in the John Henry era when the Sox have played competitive ball--3d best W-L record in the AL and 5th best in MLB--with for them weak hitting.

Deity
    Here's an interesting question. Today is June 17.

Which five Sox relievers have higher WAR (wins above replacement) ratings than Porcello, last year's Cy Young winner, and Price, our $210M starter?

Answer: Kimbrel, Kelly, Barnes, Scott, and Abad.

I might add that all but Barnes also have lower ERA's than our ace and very possible Cy Young this year, Chris Sale, whose ERA is 2.82, well below all our other starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Here's an interesting question. Today is June 17.

Which five Sox relievers have higher WAR (wins above replacement) ratings than Porcello, last year's Cy Young winner, and Price, our $210M starter?

Answer: Kimbrel, Kelly, Barnes, Scott, and Abad.

I might add that all but Barnes also have lower ERA's than our ace and very possible Cy Young this year, Chris Sale, whose ERA is 2.82, well below all our other starters.
    If you look at the Red Sox bWAR rankings right now you'd swear someone was putting you on.

Kelly 7th, Pomeranz 10th, Barnes 11th, Robby Scott 12th.