Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 107 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Trade Deadline 2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Teams in our position make major upgrades all the time, it's actually the norm.
    How often do teams in 1st place grab a bat, a late inning reliever, a starter, and all of whom could be high priced rentals for a run ?

There's 6 division leaders, plus everyone else who is in the hunt and they ain't just thinking about winning the division.
    If DD wants to put this team over the top, he will be buying at the TD.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I love all rumors and innuendo around this time.

Exactly. I don't get why people call them "fake news" or whatever (although the use of that term in this thread may have been a poke at President Trump, but many others have voiced similar opinions not in jest.) Do these people have a different definition of the word the "rumors" than I do?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    What would people think of going to the Angels and finding the asking price on Yunel Escobar? He seems like a pretty good fit for what we need.
    1. If Price feuding with Eckersley is a big deal, Escobar is a bad fit. He has a reputation for leaving trail of unpleasantness wherever he goes.
    2. The value of prospects has plummeted in recent years. While I believe Escobar to be a rental, he's very likely to be pricier than people realize.
    3. With Jhonny Peralta already in house and Marrero not costing games, the urgency isn't there...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Question - once again - why would anyone give up anyone for a rental third baseman for a team that is currently leading their division?

The Cubs traded their best prospect last year (plus others) for a rental closer when they already had a guy (Hector Rondon) doing a very good job in the role....

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I've never been against trading prospects. There's no hypocrisy. I'm usually for making a bigger package deal for a better player than trades like Espi for Pom. (I loved the Sale trade and have often suggested those sorts of trades.)

Now, that doesn't mean I want us to trade our whole farm away either. I'm more in Kimmi's camp when it comes to not wanting to empty the farm, but I'm talking more about saving more top prospects.

I like the Ziegler trade last year, and that was a rental.

I'm okay with trading a mid level prospect for a rental, if I think it significantly improves the team.

I like to balance the short and long views, but now that we seem to have just about broken the farm for a 3 year window, I don't think it is hypocritical to think it might be a good idea (key word: might) to trade someone like Ockimey or Lakins for a 3B rental.

Our 3Bmen suck badly. It is such a weak link that I do not buy the philosophy that we are winning now with Lin/Marrero, so there is no need to make changes. When we reach the playoffs, every little edge can be a difference maker.

I want to keep Devers, Groome and Travis. I would not trade any of them for any rental. I think between Devers, Travis, Longhi, Chavis and Dalbec, we should be fine at 3B, 1B and DH into the extended future without really needing Ockimey's chances at being a force.
    I think that you have said this all before.

Legend
    Rondon was doing well at the the time ( I thought he got injured, but I could be wrong), but Chapman is a different Pitcher it put them over the top. With a 22 year old Russell already at SS, Theo could afford to move SS Torres, to put them over the top.
    Win-win for both teams, which is why Trades are made.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Rondon was doing well at the the time ( I thought he got injured, but I could be wrong), but Chapman is a different Pitcher it put them over the top. With a 22 year old Russell already at SS, Theo could afford to move SS Torres, to put them over the top.
    What's interesting about that trade is that Chapman wasn't even needed in the regular season. Theo only wanted him for the postseason.

Legend
    Exactly, Theo probably evaluated his Bullpen, and said do I want Rondon to break a curse or Chapman. Also made the BP a lot stronger, which is needed in Post-Season. Smart guy.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-02-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    What's interesting about that trade is that Chapman wasn't even needed in the regular season. Theo only wanted him for the postseason.
    sure would be nice to get 'good' Carson Smith back before September.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Made doubly interesting by the rumors that Russell may be short-lived in Chicago.

All-Star
    Nick Longhi traded to the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for international bonus pool space

All-Star
    Perhaps I should have kept that in the prospects thread?

It was a trade but not in relation to the deadline and in no way effects the team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Nick Longhi traded to the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for international bonus pool space
    that even legal? I hope we don' get penalized for "being the smartest person in the room" again LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I agree with you here as well. Although I would say that if I traded for a third baseman, my thinking would be that he would be the guy doing the job for us for awhile. I'm not sure that that person is out there. i still think that as long as we are winning, that upgrade is going to come from within if it comes at all. i would still bat betts third! lol
    LOL Everyone wants to bat Betts third. I don't get it.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    that even legal? I hope we don' get penalized for "being the smartest person in the room" again LOL
    It's perfectly legal