Register now to remove this ad

Page 54 of 107 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Trade Deadline 2017 Thread

Devers went 1/4 with a HR.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    Probably someone like Sam Travis.
    I doubt a single prospect outside the Top 100 will be enough to land four-plus years of Hunter Strickland.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    I doubt a single prospect outside the Top 100 will be enough to land four-plus years of Hunter Strickland.
    I didn't say he would be the only prospect. A back top 100 prospect and some lottery ticket prospects is a reasonable return for a super two reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Last year 12 weeks of reliever Brad Zielger cost the Red Sox righthander Jose Almonte and second baseman Luis Alejandro Basabe, whom SoxProspects had ranked 18th in a Boston farm system that included Yoan Moncada, Andrew Benintendi, Anderson Espinoza, Rafael Devers, Michael Kopech, Sam Travis, Brian Johnson and Michael Chavis.

Seattle will get a year and about 11 weeks of 30-year-old righthander David Phelps, who has posted 0.3 fWAR in 44 appearances for Miami this year after posting 1.9 fWAR last year. At the time of the Red Sox trade, Ziegler has posted 0.5 fWAR in 36 appearances for Arizona after posting 0.6 fWAR the previous year. This year the 37-year-old Ziegler has posted 0.0 fWAR in 34 appearances as Phelps' teammate on the Marlins.
    So?

You must have apoint. Is it that the Mariner's FO is smarter? Is it that the Sox FO got rooked?

Who fucking cares. It's milk over the dam.

MVP has a point in any case. And I will add that paying a premium price for a pen arm is usually pretty stupid as many relievers seem lights out and then revert to sucking pond water.

There are exceptions, of course.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    So?

You must have apoint. Is it that the Mariner's FO is smarter? Is it that the Sox FO got rooked?

Who fucking cares. It's milk over the dam.

MVP has a point in any case. And I will add that paying a premium price for a pen arm is usually pretty stupid as many relievers seem lights out and then revert to sucking pond water.

There are exceptions, of course.
    It must be that Luis Basabe is the next Dustin Pedroia. The 18th prospect in farm system for a rental reliever like Ziegler seems pretty standard.

Legend
    It must be that Luis Basabe is the next Dustin Pedroia. The 18th prospect in [a then-loaded] farm system for a rental reliever like Ziegler seems pretty standard.
    That's the point.

The price goes up for an added year of team control.

It must be that Luis Basabe is the next Dustin Pedroia. The 18th prospect in farm system for a rental reliever like Ziegler seems pretty standard.
    And of course now the Sox are reaping huge benefits from such a standard deal.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    And of course now the Sox are reaping huge benefits from such a standard deal.
    They have eleven more days to make a move. We'll see.

With no pen arms becoming a FA this winter and Carson Smith, Thornburg and Ross coming back next year, I'm not sure we need to look for anything more than a 2 month rental.

Keep the return package to a minimum.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 07-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Devers went 1/4 with a HR.
    There is no point in trading for a 3b. We have a 3b in Devers.

I don't want a relief pitcher -- J.Kelly will eventually return and it is not like he is recovering from an arm injury.

Trade for Alonso and then call it a day. I would actually prefer J.Bour but there is no way to acquire him without giving up Groome.

Probably someone like Sam Travis.
    I think I would be ok with Travis straight up for Strickland.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I wouldn't want to do that
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Since the White Sox are in sell mode, I wouldn't mind paring away Abreu.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star
    If we can find another under-the-radar gem like Ziegler and get him for a reasonable price, sign me up, but something tells me we won't get that lucky again.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Hunter Strickland is not a rental.

The San Francisco Giants would demand more than a fringy prospect for four-plus years of an established reliever.

FWIW, the Giants have one-time All Star first baseman Brandon Belt signed through 2021.