Register now to remove this ad

Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107
Results 1,591 to 1,598 of 1598

Thread: Red Sox Trade Deadline 2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    He is a full time bat who can play a bunch of positions poorly (but better than say, Hanley as a LF). Basically he's a better Brock Holt - but in the land of 12 man pitching staffs that is a very valuable guy to have around.
    No doubt he is valuable to have around. I said at the time that he was signed that I liked the move because of the flexibility and depth that he provides. As a utility player, he will get plenty of at bats. That is not the same as having him as our full time shortstop, in which case I think he would be less valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I assume we stand pat with the basic outfield of Beni, JBJ and Betts with Pedey, Bogaerts and Devers in the infield. Catching has worked out better than I expected with Vaz and Leon. Hanley will be here next year. That leaves us with a need for a 1st baseman, 2 backup infielders and a backup outfielder.

With Pedey and Hanley likely to need more rest than the other younger players Nunez fits well into this scheme and we woulld like to have his bat in the lineup all the time. That is a management issue to choose who sits to keep him in. I certainly hope we can resign him. I like Lin as our second backup infielder. He is flexible, can play short, second and third. I like his plate approach and speed.

If Moreland, Holt and Young all go then we really need to go out into the market and find another 1st baseman with a good glove and who hits with power. Maybe Hanley will still be able to fill in at that position once in a while. Will Brentz or Chavis be able to take the backup outfield position?

There is a question about keeping all the younger players with Bogey's frustratingly long slump being a reason to consider a change. I personally hope he pulls out of it and makes that question moot.

JF appears to be enamored of Holt. If JF is back then Holt may be. Maybe we ought to replace the hitting coach as well, following a season where so many BA's have gone in the wrong direction.
    I think the team is pretty well set for the next couple of years. Really, the only big need will be at 1B. Dombrowski could decide to shake things up a little more than that, but he doesn't have to.

The rest of the moves would be tweaks for bench players or relievers, and much of that could come from in house.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    He's been a pretty steady hitter his whole career that can steal a base along w/ slightly below average to average defense but versatile. Is he playing over his head or does his swing simply play well at Fenway? I'd have to think coming just recently from AT&T that ranks 2nd and 1st as a Pitcher's Park as the least amount of runs and home runs respectively, and to now playing in Fenway could help any hitter. You have to remember too, that the Sox lineup before Nunez had trouble scoring, but not too much trouble getting on base. Nunez having a career year being thrown into the mix of a good lineup (in most respects) playing home at a top 5 Hitter's friendly ball park could be a factor as well. I have my doubts Sox can afford him next season too and 8 figres is probably right.
    All fair points about the Nunez' offense. I'm sure that the things you mention are contributing to his success here. That said, he is still playing over his head. He will not continue at the pace that he is at. I'm not saying that I wouldn't want him back as a utility player, but let's also not get carried away by what he's done so far in a small sample. (Not saying that you are getting carried away, just making a statement about Nunez in general.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    All fair points about the Nunez' offense. I'm sure that the things you mention are contributing to his success here. That said, he is still playing over his head. He will not continue at the pace that he is at. I'm not saying that I wouldn't want him back as a utility player, but let's also not get carried away by what he's done so far in a small sample. (Not saying that you are getting carried away, just making a statement about Nunez in general.)
    I think with the 4 HRs he may be looked on as playing over his head. I'm not expecting that to continue. Take those away and look at his 24 other hits that wern't HRs, he's a career .280 hitter in a good line that gets on base. 13 rbi in 16 games sounds like alot but it really could be simple randomness of an above average hitter put smack into the mix of a good line up that gets on base in a hitter friendly park. The odds are good he'll make something happen just by simply showing up to work. Of course I didn't think a HR masher was needed before the trade deadline. I thought we just needed another good hitter that's not an auto-out. That plus Devers (who could be the one playing over his head btw) we have the best of both worlds. I think the team as a whole, while good hitters, lost some mojo w/ Ortiz gone and they're on their way to getting some of that back and just in time too.

I think with the 4 HRs he may be looked on as playing over his head. I'm not expecting that to continue. Take those away and look at his 24 other hits that wern't HRs, he's a career .280 hitter in a good line that gets on base. 13 rbi in 16 games sounds like alot but it really could be simple randomness of an above average hitter put smack into the mix of a good line up that gets on base in a hitter friendly park. The odds are good he'll make something happen just by simply showing up to work. Of course I didn't think a HR masher was needed before the trade deadline. I thought we just needed another good hitter that's not an auto-out. That plus Devers (who could be the one playing over his head btw) we have the best of both worlds. I think the team as a whole, while good hitters, lost some mojo w/ Ortiz gone and they're on their way to getting some of that back and just in time too.
    Get. Out.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR

With Pedey's age and health concerns, keeping a guy like Nunez makes sense.

It doesn't have to be Nunez specifically, but I'm glad nobody is advocating Holt being our 2Bman next year (or top utility guy).

I've always liked Hernandez, but I think we could use a guy like Nunez back PLUS a big bat 1Bman.

I hope it continues, but his slash line has never been anywhere close to what it is since he's been in Boston. As I said, I think your points are valid. I think we just disagree on the extent to which those factors are contributing to his success.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Get. Out.
    LOL Just a thought. He is a rookie after all.