Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Window

The Window

I have talked probably ad nauseum about the "window" for the sox. We all are in agreement that the sox are inside their window right now. I would assume that everyone feels the window will extend a few seasons. Here are a few reasons why the window looks to close in 2020. I am assuming the sox re-sign all their big producers

Craig Kimbrel becomes a FA after 2018. He is probably the best reliever in baseball right now. Re-signing him with likely start with Chapman money, which is $18 mil per season. Let's say the sox do that

Xander Bogaerts becomes a FA after 2019. He is intent on going year to year. Even with his power outage, he is on pace to set a high watermark in WAR at 5.4. If he continues producing at this level, and with Boras as his agent, there is no reason to think he cannot get $25 mil per annum on the open market. Per fangraphs projections, he has been worth nearly $70 mil the last 2 seasons and this yr he is on pace to be worth $40 mil. Now while I don't think that's reasonable in this market, I do think $25 mil per annum is about right

Jackie Bradley Jr. becomes a FA after 2019. He was worth $38.8 mil last yr and is on pace to repeat that this season. Once again, I think it is unlikely he sees that amount, but I think $22 mil per season on the open market is reasonable for a defensive whiz at a premium position who can hit for a mid .800s OPS with 20HR power

Chris Sale becomes a FA after 2019. He will turn 31 in ST in the first year of his new deal. He already took a discount. He isn't taking another one. With Price and Kershaw resetting the market north of $30 mil per annum, by 2020, we might be talking about $35-$40 mil. For this projection, lets use $35 mil per year

Mookie Betts becomes a FA after 2020. On his current pace, he is looking at an arb total above $22 mil for his final season of arb akin to Harper's deal for 2018. After 2020, he is looking at a deal akin to Harper's in FA which will clearly reset the market after 2018.

Benintendi will be in his first arb year and likely making $5 mil or so

David Price- $31 mil
    Dustin Pedroia- $13 mil
    Kimbrel- $18 mil
    Bogaerts- $25 mil
    Bradley- $22 mil
    Sale- $35 mil
    Betts- $22 mil
    Beni- $5 mil

For 2020 alone, the salaries above total out at $171 mil with Betts and Beni looking at bigger money in 2021. By that point, Pedroia will be doing his Jeter lap and Price will likely be your #5 starter. By 2020, I believe the number is $210 million. If the sox want to keep the band together, they will have a mere $39 mil to fill out the rest of their pen aside from closer, 3 rotation slots from 2-4, C, 1B, 3B, and DH. I know the lux tax limit isn't really a limit, but Boston hasn't proven to be willing to shoot past that number aside from a few mil here and there. While I expect NY to be above that number by 2020, NY and LA have proven to not really care about lux tax when it comes to financing a winning team. Hence the window. It helps to have kids playing in those spots, but with the damage done to the farm by DD in going for it and the end of the round draftees the sox are looking to have due to their success, the likelihood of bringing in premium talent through the draft will be difficult. So that means filling the rest of your team out with free agents. They are expensive and typically older. You're looking at 4 position players, 3 starters and at least one higher priced reliever to tandem with Kimbrel, assuming nobody fades due to injury or ineffectiveness. It's a hell of a problem to have, having your core be young together, but it also leads to what NYY dealt with after 2000. Young stars got expensive, we picked later in rounds and didn't develop well and ended up having to fill our needs with high priced FAs. Payrolls bloated with diminishing returns. The money be damned approach extended our "window" really through 2012, but our special team from the 96-01 seasons were well past their primes or retired by then.

This brings me to the point about 3b and the need to maximize your success in your window. You've got 2 more years after this one assuming you re-sign Kimbrel. You don't waste 33% of your window because you're afraid to deal for the one or two critical needs your team has now.
    Hal sucks

Jackie Bradley Jr. becomes a FA after 2019. He was worth $38.8 mil last yr and is on pace to repeat that this season. Once again, I think it is unlikely he sees that amount, but I think $22 mil per season on the open market is reasonable for a defensive whiz at a premium position who can hit for a mid .800s OPS with 20HR power

Actually after 2020....He'll have 4 years of arbitration. But you're spot on.

On a side note, I read somewhere while back how much it's worth for a team like Yankees to make it to the post season. I saw a figure of about $50M in additional revenue for making it to the World Series. Something that Henry should think about. Not a sure thing but it certainly helps the bottom line.
    Last edited by Nick; 07-08-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Yes, a 3 to 4 year window.

It's not a one year window.

Do not trade prospects like Devers & Travis that are likely to be low cost high reward type players for 2 to 3 years of the 3 to 4 years in the window.

Consider trading others, but avoid desperation overpays.

We should be able to get by without having to add any outside FAs for the next 2 winters. That alone is significant.

The salary wall rises quickly for 2020. We can probably afford going over the limit in 2018, 2019 and maybe way over in 2020, but the penalties will be severe and possibly long lasting, if we go over the non-monetary penalty limit.

There is no window, only pessimism.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    There is no window, only pessimism.
    I'm highly optimistic about having a 4 year window.

I don't think we'll finish in last place year 5 or 6, but there will be severe challenges.

With this ownership group, there shouldn't be.

Sox are up by 4 games in July and people have boners for cliffs and windows.

You're not getting it. The reason I bring this up isn't because I've got a boner for cliffs and windows. It's because you're within your window and addressing glaring needs shouldn't be pushed off because you "should be ok".

I get the window argument, and I'm even conversing about it on another thread now, and while it does concern me there is the reality that no one knows how the future will transpire.

Perhaps the Sox draft the next Mike Trout with their 30th pick in the draft next year. Maybe they go after Otani and he becomes the next Kershaw.

What I find concerning is when you look at the way this entire team is constructing you can pinpoint almost every player to a system that no longer exists (free agents aside). But again, everyone has to play by these rules and we don't have a crystal ball.

I do worry about the future, I'am a bit pessimistic but I think I'd like to consider it more of a curiosity as to what the Sox will do to keep pumping talent in the roster. I believe I still reserve the right to enjoy the team now as well.

I'm comfortable that Dombrowski is devoting a lot of thought to the 3B situation and will act wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm comfortable that Dombrowski is devoting a lot of thought to the 3B situation and will act wisely.
    I wonder how comfortable Tigers felt 3-4 years ago.

There is definitely a three year window but what happens beyond that is impossible to know or predict. After three years, it may make sense for the Red Sox to engage in some kind of rebuild. Alternatively, if the Red Sox system can produce dominant starting pitching, there is no need for a rebuild. Pitchers like J.Groome and T.Houck will play an important role when it comes to the next phase. If Groome can reach his ceiling, the Red Sox will have an ace when Sale leaves via free agency. If the Red Sox develop starting pitching, they can always add offensive players via free agency. It really comes down to the kind of pitching the Red Sox will have 3 years from now.

I don't know if the Red Sox are ever going to pay J.Bradley over 20 million per year. He is an elite defender now, but he isn't going to sustain that level of defense as he gets older. His offense is inconsistent. If Bradley wants over 20 million, there is a good chance the Red Sox find another CF.

As far as 3b goes, the Red Sox don't necessarily need to trade for anyone--they have the best 3b prospect in the game producing a 900+ OPS in AA. Sure, they could trade for Frazier, but Frazier could go 0 for 30 in a playoff series. Devers could go 10 for 30 in the same playoff series with 3 HR. Who will be hot? Who will be cold? The decision is a bit of a crap shoot. But Devers is certainly good enough to justify NOT trading for a player like Frazier. They can go with the Lin/Marrero platoon, let Devers finish out the season in the minors, and then bring up Devers. There is no more risk in making this decision than trading for T.Frazier, who could go in a prolonged slump in October when the Red Sox need him most.

While the Red Sox have Devers waiting in the wings at 3b, I continue to believe the Red Sox should consider trading for another bat, a L.Duda or J.Bruce type. I don't have a lot of confidence in Hanley going forward. Even if Hanley gets hot, the Red Sox might want to take some at-bats away from Moreland, who isn't exactly a stud offensive player.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-08-2017 at 07:04 PM.

JBj will reach free agency a bit older than our other young stars, but he should be worth a hefty salary.

He may be a bit more inconsistent than others, but he's been between .830 and .855 for three straight years (including 2017). That's actually more consistent than just about anyone else on the Sox.

JBJ ranks 37th in MLB in OPS since 2015 at .839.
    He's 37th in wOBA (.356) which is within .001 of Beltre and Machado.

He's worth a mega deal based on just his offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You're not getting it. The reason I bring this up isn't because I've got a boner for cliffs and windows. It's because you're within your window and addressing glaring needs shouldn't be pushed off because you "should be ok".
    Fine. "Priapism"

Pretty sure you don't know the first thing about the word you just typed