Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 MLB Trade Deadline Mega Thread (non Red Sox version)

2017 MLB Trade Deadline Mega Thread (non Red Sox version)

And so it begins...

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/885520101251874816

@whitesox

#WhiteSox have acquired OF Eloy Jiménez, RHP Dylan Cease, 1B Matt Rose & INF Bryant Flete from the Cubs in exchange for LHP José Quintana.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Wow!

Quintana was the guy I have wanted for years. He is paid less than Sale and has one more year of team control.

This makes the Cubs a very strong team for the next 4 years.

I'm not saying we should have offered this, but does this deal outweigh what the Cubs got from the CWS?

Devers, Travis, Lakins & Beeks?

Devers, Groome & Ockimey?

Groome, Travis, Lin & Lakins or Beeks?

Or, would it have taken all our big 3?

Surprising that the 2 Chicago team traded with each other.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quintana has been a hell of a pitcher for awhile. Pissed we let him go for nothing. He's 28 and from 2014-2016 he averaged nearly 5WAR. Even in a down year, he's on pace for close to 4WAR in the AL and had been trending up. The Cubs were willing to give up two top 100 prospects, one of which is top 5 in all of baseball.
    Hal sucks

Rumor is the Rangers are willing to deal Hamels and Darvish. I seriously hope Darvish is traded. That would remove the pick comp this offseason when the Yankees sign him!
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Quintana has been a hell of a pitcher for awhile. Pissed we let him go for nothing. He's 28 and from 2014-2016 he averaged nearly 5WAR. Even in a down year, he's on pace for close to 4WAR in the AL and had been trending up. The Cubs were willing to give up two top 100 prospects, one of which is top 5 in all of baseball.
    I've always loved Quintana and his low cost contract. He's got 3.5 years of team control.

We traded for Garrett Cooper, future HOFer. Just sayin.

Doolittile and Madson to the Nats for Blake Treinen and two other minor leaguers in A or lower. I get the upside of he 19 yr old who's on the shelf with TJS, but that seems awfully light for two closer level performers

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Doolittile and Madson to the Nats for Blake Treinen and two other minor leaguers in A or lower. I get the upside of he 19 yr old who's on the shelf with TJS, but that seems awfully light for two closer level performers
    Treinen was better than Madson just last year, and Doolittle gets hurt a lot. The package looks OK.

Quintana could be another coup for Theo. What a way to start with them today.

I know Martinez might be a rental, but that price doesn't seem steep at all. If I knew that was the price I wish Sox would've jumped on that..

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I know Martinez might be a rental, but that price doesn't seem steep at all. If I knew that was the price I wish Sox would've jumped on that..
    Yeah, it's light. The headliner was acquired from Toronto for Cliff Pennington two years ago.

All-Star
    Martinez is great, but I don't know what we would have done with him...much as you might wish Hanley wasn't here, he is, and he's not been nearly bad enough to justify a Pablo-style banishment and writing off of his salary.

We don't need a LF'er.

We don't need a DH.

I'd love to add a big bat, but adding one at one of those two positions doesn't make much sense to me.

3B, 1B and C are our three weakest offensive positions. I don't see a big bat catcher out there I'm willing to overpay for. I see Devers as our 3Bman of the future, so getting a rental might make sense, but what available, rental 3Bman is a high impact offensive threat?

That leaves 1B. JF & DD aren't even willing to move Moreland out of the 4 slot, even though he has slumped for over a month and has been battling a toe injury. I'm not sure they are actively seeking an upgrade at 1B.

I just don't see any type of big deal making sense to me. Those wanting a big bat might think trading for Beltre or Alonso is the answer, and while those two make more sense than trading for a LF'er, I think the cost will be too high. We'd need to deal Devers and/or Groome for Beltre, and I doubt we can get Alonso for Chavis, Ockimey, Lakins & Beeks.