Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59

Thread: Yankees make blockbuster deal with CWS

  1. #16
    Games will be won in the 6-9 as our offense will likely wear down non ace starters, even if they're performing well. I love that this trade isn't just for 2017

  2. #17
    Except when our starter gives up 6 and our offense scores 0.

  3. #18
    How was this trade a "Blockbuster"?

    Yeah, I see a bunch of players having been moved so in that sense it was significant.

    But did this trade fundamentally or significantly change the composition of either team?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  4. #19
    It made our bullpen much longer and gave us an option at CIF who should significantly outplay the production we've received from said location

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Todd Frazier has been worse in the second half every single season in his career. That seems like it can not be a fluke.

    He's off to a bad start, career wise, so one should expect he might have his worst second half of his career this year. I'm glad the Yanks overpaid for him, not us.

    Frazier's 1st half/2nd half splits:

    Career: .825/.718
    '17 .779/.321 (13 PAs)
    '16 .782/.749
    '15 .922/.664
    '14 .873/.717
    '13 .730/.708
    '12 .901/.775
    '11 n/a/ .733

    I'm glad he's on the Yanks and not here, especially at that high price.

    Hey Moon, long time no chat (hope you remember me from BDC)

    Even with Frazier's history in the second half he is an upgrade from what we currently have, I wouldn't said the Yanks "overpaid", it was a a good trade, too many are focusing on him but the real gain was the BP, if Chapman/Betances can go back to their dominant versions, it will be game over after 5 or 6 innings

  6. #21
    By the way, I hate to see Rutherford go.

    But we have Florial in the minors, keep an eye on this guy I believe he will be a top 10 prospect in all baseball next year

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You understand that the high price was paid for the relievers and not just for Frazier, right?
    Yes, I understand.

    I could come up with a lot of stuff on why Robertson was the wrong idea, too, but he has at least shown strength in the second half of recent seasons.

    His K rate, BB rate and WHIP are all better than his career norms this year.

    Maybe it wasn't as big an "overpay" as I implied, but Robertson & Frazier would have put us over the luxury tax. Maybe they'd have taken Pablo (and cash) like they took on Clippard.

    I still wanted no part of Frazier.

    I'd wish you luck, but you know why I can't.


  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Hey Moon, long time no chat (hope you remember me from BDC)

    Even with Frazier's history in the second half he is an upgrade from what we currently have, I wouldn't said the Yanks "overpaid", it was a a good trade, too many are focusing on him but the real gain was the BP, if Chapman/Betances can go back to their dominant versions, it will be game over after 5 or 6 innings
    Good to see you here, Carpin. I hope you stick around.

    I shouldn't have called it an overpay, but I'm glad we didn't try to match or better the offer.

  9. #24
    You didn't even mention Kahnle

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It made our bullpen much longer and gave us an option at CIF who should significantly outplay the production we've received from said location
    Okay. Cash added functional parts that should help. I get that. I just believe that that word does not best describe the deal.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You didn't even mention Kahnle
    I'm not sure he's for real.

    If he can continue as he has done this year, the deal will be much better than I originally thought, but TK had a WHIP over 1.500 for two straight years. Maybe 2017 isn't a fluke, but I wouldn't cringe, if the Yanks bring him in to face Betts in the playoffs.

    I'm looking through the eyes of a Sox fan, and I think this deal would not have been good for us, IMO.

    It might end up helping the Yanks a lot, or it could barely make a difference this year but hurt your future.

  12. #27
    Cash added two high strikeout arms in the pen with closer capability. If Frazier wasn't in this deal, it's still solid value for the prospects we dealt. If Frazier gives us anything, then great

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure he's for real.

    If he can continue as he has done this year, the deal will be much better than I originally thought, but TK had a WHIP over 1.500 for two straight years. Maybe 2017 isn't a fluke, but I wouldn't cringe, if the Yanks bring him in to face Betts in the playoffs.

    I'm looking through the eyes of a Sox fan, and I think this deal would not have been good for us, IMO.

    It might end up helping the Yanks a lot, or it could barely make a difference this year but hurt your future.
    His problems have always been the walks. He's avoided those this year. He's 27 with closer stuff. Yeah, maybe he loses his command, but he doesn't get hit at all. He's for real, the question is, is he 1.40 FIP good. Not sure, but he's been one of the best relievers in baseball this year. We got him and a solid closer who is still in his prime and under contract for next year. Frazier could be released and this is great value. We dealt from far down the chain of our prospect list to make this deal. This barely dents our farm

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    His problems have always been the walks. He's avoided those this year. He's 27 with closer stuff. Yeah, maybe he loses his command, but he doesn't get hit at all. He's for real, the question is, is he 1.40 FIP good. Not sure, but he's been one of the best relievers in baseball this year. We got him and a solid closer who is still in his prime and under contract for next year. Frazier could be released and this is great value. We dealt from far down the chain of our prospect list to make this deal. This barely dents our farm
    The fit was better for you guys. Robertson's salary would crunch us too much this year and maybe next.

    I would have liked to have gotten 2 good RP'ers though. We still might.

  15. #30
    Screw them. They are a couple of years away. They will win this division if we give it to them.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •