Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rafael Devers

Major Leaguer
    He has hit a all levels and will eventually settle in at the show. How he does defensively is another topic, but we need him to hit. If he isn't quite ready and goes back down so what. He will be a stud sooner or later. Hopefully he hits the ground running and produces enough to put an end to the 3b discussion.

"Oh they'd never bring him up this year."

TOLD YOU SO!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    "Oh they'd never bring him up this year."

TOLD YOU SO!
    Who are you quoting?

Legend
    How many well pitched games have we squandered with our anemic offense without making moves to help the situation. With the situation growing acute, the FO is now changing their tune and deciding we should bring him up now. The old saying is better late than never. So who goes down, Marerro?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Who are you quoting?
    He's patting himself for knocking out a strawman.

Gee it's a shame. I've been so impressed with Marerro's play at 3B. Among many to date, the play he made today, which Timlin described as Brooks Robinson-esque, was superb and saved a run or two. And he did get a key hit in today's game. But, alas, he just does not seem to have the consistent plate appearances that this team presently needs. He may not turn into a Manny Machado, but if the Sox trade him, do not be surprised if he becomes an integral part of some NL team, if not at 3B than at SS.

Who are you quoting?
    Many people on here who told me over and over that he wouldn't get up here this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    He's patting himself for knocking out a strawman.
    And you remember me posting about Devers in the offseason?

You need to review the definition of strawman. You have no clue what it means.

So reportedly he is scheduled to play in the 2nd game in Seattle on Tuesday. Then there is another game on Wednesday in Seattle followed by 3 games at Fenway against the Royals before the trade deadline. What he does in those 5 games will obviously influence what DD does or doesn't do pertaining to the 3B situation for the rest of the season.

I just don't get it. Such a short leash. I wish they had brought Devers up directly from AA, rather than the 34 AB's at AAA Pawtucket, thus allowing for a more extended evaluation period before the trade deadline.

I think this is an indication that if Devers produces he will become the regular 3B. If he falters, they'll alternate Brock, Marrero, and Lin through the rest of the season.
    Last edited by dustcover; 07-23-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And you remember me posting about Devers in the offseason?

You need to review the definition of strawman. You have no clue what it means.
    haha it was a joke.

Who is getting sent down for Devers? Has to be Marrero.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    He can hit, fielding another story. He could have used those 20 games in Triple AAA, we gave to Pablo and Peralta. Growing pains for him and us Fans. Patience.
    Have you seen him play? In the game I saw two weeks ago he made a couple of fantastic plays. It was his hitting that seemed suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    Who is getting sent down for Devers? Has to be Marrero.
    They have Rutledge to deal with too.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Who are you quoting?

20228810_10207253523815183_852998135292316778_n.jpg
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I hope this works out. What I keep thinking is that when Marrero/Lin took over at 3B we were ~3 games back in the AL East & now we have a 2 1/2 game lead. As much as this team needs a bat in the order I'm not sure that giving up Marrero's solid glove and weak bat to get Devers' unproven bat and suspect glove is a great idea. It seems to be of the mind of "Let's do something, even if it's not right."
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully