Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Definitive, sustantiated role of Pedroia in Price/Eck incident

The Sox should have squashed the story immediately. They didn't.

Thanks Farrell!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Yes. They should have done that. An organization run by responsible adults would surely have done that. But even more important, had there been any such people in the organization (that is to say, responsible adults), they would have kept the incident itself from happening or stopped it immediately.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    IMO this post is a lot like shooting the messenger, with the media being the messenger.

We've got two players on this team who've acted like absolute douches this year, one of them doing it once (or twice?) and the other has made a season of doing it. When we begin to accept this as acceptable behavior we're also condoning it.

Maybe this stuff happens all the time and we don't hear about it - or maybe it doesn't - but if it does our not hearing about it doesn't make it any less egregious. I believe that as some of the people who are 'paying the freight' for this team we have a right to be outraged when the players don't live up to our standards and this is our only place to vent the frustration.

In light of all of this, while I care about this team in terms of wins and losses I'm finding it harder and harder to 'care' about the personnel on the team. That may be why I'm not staying up late to watch the end of the games and it may be part of the reason I haven't been to Fenway this year, but whatever it is all I want this team to do is STFU and play ball. That's all.
    The problem with fans having the right to be outraged is then the behavior standards become subjective. I prefer some perspective.

In an era where I can find dozens of media stories about athletes committing acts of domestic violence, sexual assault, driving under the influence, and illegal possession of a firearm, the time to cry about morality isn't because some overpaid athlete got into a dispute with the press.

I can see getting outraged over law breakers. But getting outraged over immaturity? And this issue will never become more severe regardless of how articles cover it....

Just let it go.

Man, this town is tough.

Everyone and everything is under a million microscopes.
    Yeah, it's time to let it go. The media is not going to let that happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    You ever see a Press Conference? There scared shitless to ask him question. He controls the local media, the best.
    Yup.

He makes almost all of them look like dopes.

It's really quite entertaining if you get to see it.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The problem with fans having the right to be outraged is then the behavior standards become subjective. I prefer some perspective.

In an era where I can find dozens of media stories about athletes committing acts of domestic violence, sexual assault, driving under the influence, and illegal possession of a firearm, the time to cry about morality isn't because some overpaid athlete got into a dispute with the press.

I can see getting outraged over law breakers. But getting outraged over immaturity? And this issue will never become more severe regardless of how articles cover it....
    The time to complain about people being assholes is ALWAYS. The most important thing in this world is to be a genuinely good person.

And as far as I know, there are no current Sox players with domestic violence, sex assault, DUI, firearm or other nonsense going on.

Deity
    Boston sportswriters do almost nothing but keep these types of non-events alive wee beyond any relevance they might have had at ond point.

I don't know the facts for this and I don't need to. I would be very surprised if this was the first time something like this happened in Boston or if the Sox were the only team with such an incident this month.

But I do know the Boston sportswriters will drive all this home with greater fervor the the "Great Chicken and Beer Fiasco"....
    I am with you 100% on this. If this is really a factual story then I would think that Farrell will be fired. Almost anyone who has ever coached and been in charge knows how much control they actually have. In the asylum, someone must be in charge. If someone is acting like a fool, they need to be told that - benched or traded if it continues. There really doesn't seem to be much respect being shown for any type of authority here because there really has been no obvious authority figure. I liked how Farrell appeared to give Pomeranz hell a while back - he deserved it. Look what he has done since. One thing I think I know though is that if Price was pitching tonight NESN's ratings would be right where they want them to be for a change. I wonder if Shaugnessey would have been paid a little more by them for what his story has done. (easy - my idea of a joke)

Something that is wrong should not be ignored just because there are worse things. I am sure every team , and every work place for that matter, has at least one bad apple. The troubling thing here is that Price evidently has a group of supporters on the team. Let them come forward and explain themselves as well. Get the whole thing out in the open , apologize if warranted, then put it behind them and get down to business. The pennant race is underway.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Something that is wrong should not be ignored just because there are worse things. I am sure every team , and every work place for that matter, has at least one bad apple. The troubling thing here is that Price evidently has a group of supporters on the team. Let them come forward and explain themselves as well. Get the whole thing out in the open , apologize if warranted, then put it behind them and get down to business. The pennant race is underway.
    Why was this not handled from the inside? Why do we have to be privy to this?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Why was this not handled from the inside? Why do we have to be privy to this?
    Because they clearly didn't handle it from inside. If it was, we wouldn't be hearing about it now.

Meh. There are different levels of outrage.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    the time to complain about people being assholes is always. the most important thing in this world is to be a genuinely good person.
    this!! ^^
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

MLB players acting like rude assholes --not really news. If it wasn't directed at an affable well-liked HOFer, it would have passed a week ago. No reason to hate too much on Price. There are a lot of a-holes in MLB.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    MLB players acting like rude assholes --not really news. If it wasn't directed at an affable well-liked HOFer, it would have passed a week ago. No reason to hate too much on Price. There are a lot of a-holes in MLB.
    Probably true, but then, he should have known who he was taking on and how it would resonate in the media and a fan base that was already somewhat wary of him.

Not all of the criticism of him has been fair, but I have zero sympathy for the entire Eckersley episode and its fallout. Completely needless and self-inflicted.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Probably true, but then, he should have known who he was taking on and how it would resonate in the media and a fan base that was already somewhat wary of him.

Not all of the criticism of him has been fair, but I have zero sympathy for the entire Eckersley episode and its fallout. Completely needless and self-inflicted.
    Once again, I don't disagree with really anything that you have said here but I'm going to hold the line I'm walking on all the way - This was a story that we did not need to know anything about. It became news because it was not handled properly from the beginning. Management gets a big fat 0 for the way they handled this one. Everyone is in an uproar and no one other than the people on the plane no the real facts of the story.