Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Front office Decisions

That moon is always thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    If we weren't signing Ortiz, we should've signed Encarnacion. Moreland as the Papi replacement was a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Encarnacion lobbied to play with us and Ortiz publicly recommended it at the end of last season. His price was right. It was the Duh move, duhDave didn't make the move.

I agree. Along with almost every Sox fan I know.

Still not sure how that would have worked with the cap.

Oddly, the market for his services never developed. He signed for seemingly cheap money.

I think the Sox never really wanted him. Sort of like Lester in a way.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

But that's stupid. Encarnacion is made for Fenway. He's not Papi, but he's a major power bat in the middle of the lineup that allows Hanley to hit with a runner on and allows Pedey to see more fastballs. .372 OBP and 22 HR would look great in the Fens. It's probably higher with the ballpark dimensions

If we weren't signing Ortiz, we should've signed Encarnacion. Moreland as the Papi replacement was a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    But that's stupid. Encarnacion is made for Fenway. He's not Papi, but he's a major power bat in the middle of the lineup that allows Hanley to hit with a runner on and allows Pedey to see more fastballs. .372 OBP and 22 HR would look great in the Fens. It's probably higher with the ballpark dimensions
    To be clear you are calling the Sox FO stupid, not me.

I would have made him a priority.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

This is what happens every time the sox are good. The FO thinks that they outsmarted the world and then they change the dynamic and lose. The blueprint changes so often that consistency is impossible. Your offense ran through Papi and letting him go killed it

You're not dumb spud. The sox brass are

We wouldn't have T.Houck if we signed E.Encarncion. Moreover, we would probably be over the luxury tax.

But include me in the unimpressed category when it comes to Dombrowski. All he did was (1) trade stud prospects for stars, but anyone can do that. A kid in high school could do that. (2) Trading T.Shaw was a massive blunder, the kind of move that Dombrowski was supposedly too shrewd to make. (3) I'm still waiting for Dombrowski to swing a deal comparable to the shrewd Cashman acquisitions of Chapman, Castro, and Didi.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-29-2017 at 05:12 PM.

The Sox had a productive formula that went away. Instead of attempting to emulate it, they went cheap.

So Tanner Houck was worth 3 seasons of EE? If he's on your team this year, you guys are still in first

I think what Cashman has done is pretty impressive.

I do feel conspicuous in saying that.

I would never want to be seen as a Yankee bag lapper.

He has got his team back in the hunt with out the old Yankee "open the checkbook" technique.

His team is now poised to be a threat for several years and he can fortify the lineup with big name FA at any time.

We did get lucky to a degree. We start a second year guy coming off a horrible year and he's an ace. We start a rookie 4th rounder and he turns into the reincarnation of Pettitte. No major offensive upgrades and a rookie coming off a terrible debut becomes an MVP candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Well guys, it's quite possible he simply didn't want to play any more. He said his feet were causing him a lot of misery last year.
    Yes, but near the end of the year, he said his feet felt good.

Why not try?

To me, it would be a sign of respect to offer him $25M. In some ways he was under payed for many years in Boston. Don't pressure him:
    just offer big money and say, "We want you back."

(Maybe we did, and it never made the press.)

It was a Sale for Papi replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The biggest offseason failure was not talking Ortiz back into playing. Signing him for $25 mil for a season might have seen him return. He was your leader. He was also a force offensively
    Ortiz heels/archilles were causing him pain, not sure they could have lasted another year.

Dave knew Ortiz was leaving and his replacement plan was to move Hanley to dh and sign Moreland. What am I missing here. Now we have a powderpuff lineup.

We got more 20 home run guys in the minor league system than in Boston.

Somebody needs to send dave packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Ortiz heels/archilles were causing him pain, not sure they could have lasted another year.

Dave knew Ortiz was leaving and his replacement plan was to move Hanley to dh and sign Moreland. What am I missing here. Now we have a powderpuff lineup.

We got more 20 home run guys in the minor league system than in Boston.

Somebody needs to send dave packing.
    There was more to the plan than just adding Moreland.

We added Sale, Thornburg and were expecting full seasons from Beni and others, as well as a return of Carson Smith.

I'm not a DD fan, but let's not ignore the full picture.