Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Front office Decisions

I would think it would be hard to trade Xander who made $4.3M in his first arbitration year. You only have two years of control left and at what price?

Better question is what can we get in return? Not much.
    Last edited by Nick; 09-13-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would think it would be hard to trade Xander who made $4.3M in his first arbitration year. You only have two years of control left and at what price?

Better question is what can we get in return? Not much.
    Thats the question. Does the FO think we improve the team by making the trade? Clearly there is a risk, like with Shaw, what they think will happen not be correct. If we don't think we can improve the team, then don't make the trade..

Deity
    I'm probably the lone voice saying this, but I would not be inclined to dump any of our current regulars next year, by whom I mean:

Betts
    Benintendi
    Bogaerts
    Bradley
    Pedroia
    Devers
    Vazquez/Leon
    Ramirez

I don't like Ramirez, but think we are stuck with him. Plus last year he had a very good OPS of .866. And he can play 1b when Moreland leaves.
    Bogey similarly had a good overall WAR last year and in 2015.
    JBJ same deal--last year, anyway. Plus that great D.
    I would want to keep Nunez if only as insurance against Pedey knee issues. Make him the new Holt,maybe.
    Leon/Vazquez are both under 30 and are a pretty good twosome in a position that absolutely demands two capable people.

I like everyone else would love a big bat but am reluctant to trade away a bunch of regulars for him. Besides, Devers might become that big bat.

And this. In a down year for almost everyone except Vazquez, the Sox are hardly broke. I mean, with the lousy hitting and all aren't they headed for 92 or more wins and the AL East? Isn't it even possible guys like Betts, Bogie, JBJ, and HanRam can get back to their 2016 numbers or at least get closer than they are this year?
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 09-13-2017 at 01:15 PM.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm probably the lone voice saying this, but I would not be inclined to dump any of our current regulars next year, by whom I mean:

Betts
    Benintendi
    Bogaerts
    Bradley
    Pedroia
    Devers
    Vazquez/Leon
    Ramirez

I don't like Ramirez, but think we are stuck with him. Plus last year he had a very good OPS of .866. And he can play 1b when Moreland leaves.
    I would want to keep Nunez if only as insurance against Pedey knee issues. Make him the new Holt,maybe.
    Leon/Vazquez are both under 30 and are a pretty good twosome in a position that absolutely demands two capable people.

I like everyone else would love a big bat but am reluctant to trade away a bunch of regulars for him. Besides, Devers might become that big bat.

And this. In a down year for almost everyone except Vazquez, the Sox are hardly broke. I mean, with the lousy hitting and all aren't they headed for 92 or more wins and the AL East? Isn't it even possible guys like Betts, Bogie, JBJ, and HanRam can get back to their 2016 numbers or at least get closer than they are this year?
    I agree. I think we bring in a 1B/DH type (preferably someone who can hit a few bombs) but otherwise look pretty much the same.

Nunez would be nice to keep around if he'd agree to be "the new Holt" as you put it, but after his great second half I imagine he'll find a regular gig somewhere.

What they should do:

1. Fire Farrell, make Disarcina the manager and Jonny Gomes the bench coach
    2. Sign JD Martinez to play 1B until HRam's deal is over
    3. Add another bullpen arm
    4. Try to extend Betts and Sale
    5. Have Price get surgery
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I agree. I think we bring in a 1B/DH type (preferably someone who can hit a few bombs) but otherwise look pretty much the same.

Nunez would be nice to keep around if he'd agree to be "the new Holt" as you put it, but after his great second half I imagine he'll find a regular gig somewhere.
    Whether Cleveland can maintain their momentum and resign their key pieces is an unknown. They went out this year and added two power hitters to a strong lineup, something that the luxury cap got in the way of for the Sox. Like it or not, they become the new target of excellence to shoot at and our changes should be made with them in mind.

Definitely we need a big bat, probably at 1st base. Otherwise, we should be open minded should opportunities arise to improve in areas where the hitting is weak. Nunez, currently at 4.2 million will deserve a healthy raise and it will be a competitive battle to keep him. Reed also would be a good keep ar $7.75 Mil. Moreland will probably not return so we can go for a 1st baseman with a big bat. Young and Davis will probably not be resigned and also Kendrick will not return. The savings on those four will be amount to $19 Mil on avoided cost.

Lots of other considerations in the pitching area, with who will be cut loose and who will remain. Question marks for Smith although he looks like a keeper, and Thornburgh who is still in the remains to be seen category.

To me it apears that our pitching will remain competitve with the best staffs in 2018 but to really compete at the highest levels we need to consider multiple ways to become a stronger team.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    What they should do:

1. Fire Farrell, make Disarcina the manager and Jonny Gomes the bench coach
    2. Sign JD Martinez to play 1B until HRam's deal is over
    3. Add another bullpen arm
    4. Try to extend Betts and Sale
    5. Have Price get surgery
    And Papi for hitting coach.

Deity
    One of the best decisions that I think they have ever made is the one they just announced. David Ortiz is a lifetime representative for the organization. A great ambassador for our team. Good job John henry and company!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And Papi for hitting coach.
    He was just signed to some weird lifetime contract. Maybe he can work the PA. I'd be down with that.

Has chilli Davis done enough to return next season as hitting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Nope.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    That can only be judged by the results on the field. If you believe nearly the entire team being substantially lower in OPS is not connected to the hitting coach then you might bring him back. On the other hand it would seem that there must be a connection, so i would recommend a change. Can it be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post

Betts
    Benintendi
    Bogaerts
    Bradley
    Pedroia
    Devers
    Vazquez/Leon
    Ramirez

It's an unlikable team, on the whole.
    I don't think I'd bat an eye if they traded everyone, with the exception of Sale, Betts, Devers, and Vazquez.
    Do whatever it takes to improve the offense.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    It's an unlikable team, on the whole.
    I don't think I'd bat an eye if they traded everyone, with the exception of Sale, Betts, Devers, and Vazquez.
    Do whatever it takes to improve the offense.
    I can't agree with this.

Bogey and Vazquez are great with the fans and have gone out of their way to interact with the next generation of great Sox fans.

The OF is fun as hell to watch. They are athletic, strong, fast and great fielders. What more could you want?

Devers is a 20 year old guy with generational talent and a baby face.

Pedroia has been on the team since winning a ROY in 07 and MVP 08. He's beloved by the vast majority of fans.

The rotation consists of last year's CY, one of the greatest arms in baseball and a guy who was an AS last year who had an ERA of 3.3 the last two years and is currently 15-5.

The pen has one of the best closers in the game who throws HEAT and a nasty change. They have a guy who was a hero on the last WS team and has fought his way back from numerous injuries. They have another guy who pumps in FB's at 100+ and has a weird mustache.

Aside from Hanley and Price, who is really unlikable on the team? Hanley has a great personality and is only unliked because of his contract.

The gist of what I'm reading on here is: Things aren't perfect, so let's blow it up.

Great plan!!! /s/