Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Yankees deal for Gray

  1. #1

    Yankees deal for Gray

    I know this is in rumors, but it ain't a rumor no more. Sonny Gray, who's been a top of the rotation type pitcher in Oakland has been dealt. Sonny has seen his K rate rise and his peripherals improve this season after an array of injuries limited 2016 production. He should slot in behind Severino as our # 2 starter. I love the fact that we control him for two more seasons, especially since he's a high velo small framed pitcher.

    Dustin Fowler is unfortunate. He's a 5 tool guy with plate discipline issues who is a cycle waiting to happen. His offense sans his speed is impressive, but his speed allowed his prospect status to take off. Nobody knows how his quickness will rebound post injury, as he did have quite possibly the worst injury you could have in the legs aside from dislocation of the knee

    James Kaprielian is a high upside, high velo guy who lost two seasons of development due to a misdiagnosed elbow injury then subsequent surgery. He's got top notch stuff, but he's missed so much time that it's hard to determine what his stuff will look like once he's healthy.

    Jorge Mateo was a frustrating prospect. He's got power projection, quick handed, good glove projection and speed to burn. But he's been dogged with attitude issues and is buried in terms of depth in the organization. He's got serious boom or bust potential if he gets his act straight.

    We gave up serious talent, but all with warts. We'll see how that projects long term
    The rebuild is complete.

  2. #2
    I like this deal a lot for the Yankees, as I said before two lottery tickets plus Mateo

    Gray - If he can adjust to Yankee Stadium and stay healthy this is a steal for the Yankees

    Fowler - Very unfortunate and heartbreaking what happened to this kid, all feelings aside the type of injury he had is serious and career threatening it's very hard to tell if he will recover to his previous form, this guy without the speed is average at best, even with the speed he might be only a regular major leaguer or a 4th outfielder. I really hope he fully recovers, he is a hard worker and you never bet against those guys

    Kap - All the talent in the world, he has a better chance to recover, TJ has been almost a routine operation lately, still some never recover (about 15%), this guy is a true #1 SP prospect he could be the best value the A's got in this deal

    Mateo - A blazing speed, developing power but with some big makeup issues, I think the Yanks elevated his value in the last month by promoting him to AA, If he puts everything together he's an above average ML player, I have serous doubts with him


    After looking at this trade I love that Cashman didn't trade Florial and was able to sell high on Mateo, at this moment it looks like a huge win for the Yankees

  3. #3
    No idea what Beane is doing. There was no urgency to trade Gray now, and getting two injured players in return, one coming off TJ is madness. I'm not sure what the true value of Gray was - he's under control but he's also got a big injury question mark. I think the As should have gotten something more in some respect, though.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Though I try to find the answer to all the questions they ask
    Though I know it's impossible to go living through the past

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  4. #4
    Beane is an asshat who believes his own press clippings.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  5. #5
    Beane got more talent than he probably should have, but with the caveat of current injury looks large
    The rebuild is complete.

  6. #6
    I know we need a big bat more than a SP'er, but with what the Yanks paid for Gray and his 2.3 years of team control, we missed out on a great chance at improving our chances for the next 3 playoff cycles.

    I've never been a DD fan, but I've wanted to give him a chance. I'm not happy after today.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Beane is an asshat who believes his own press clippings.
    But he did get to fuck Angelina Jolie!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    But he did get to fuck Angelina Jolie!
    And cheated on her too!! He da man!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I know we need a big bat more than a SP'er, but with what the Yanks paid for Gray and his 2.3 years of team control, we missed out on a great chance at improving our chances for the next 3 playoff cycles.

    I've never been a DD fan, but I've wanted to give him a chance. I'm not happy after today.

    How would Gray have effected the cap for this year after we snagged two guys already?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And cheated on her too!! He da maing!
    lol


    Fixed that for you.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  11. #11
    Looks like a very good deal for the Yanks. Cashman has been on a roll.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
    lol


    fixed that for you.
    lol!!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Looks like a very good deal for the Yanks. Cashman has been on a roll.
    Yes he has been.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  14. #14
    Beano, your trade stinks, as usual.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I know we need a big bat more than a SP'er, but with what the Yanks paid for Gray and his 2.3 years of team control, we missed out on a great chance at improving our chances for the next 3 playoff cycles.

    I've never been a DD fan, but I've wanted to give him a chance. I'm not happy after today.

    Even with two of the prospects being injured, I don't see anyway the Sox could've beat that offer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •