Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees deal for Gray

Yankees deal for Gray

I know this is in rumors, but it ain't a rumor no more. Sonny Gray, who's been a top of the rotation type pitcher in Oakland has been dealt. Sonny has seen his K rate rise and his peripherals improve this season after an array of injuries limited 2016 production. He should slot in behind Severino as our # 2 starter. I love the fact that we control him for two more seasons, especially since he's a high velo small framed pitcher.

Dustin Fowler is unfortunate. He's a 5 tool guy with plate discipline issues who is a cycle waiting to happen. His offense sans his speed is impressive, but his speed allowed his prospect status to take off. Nobody knows how his quickness will rebound post injury, as he did have quite possibly the worst injury you could have in the legs aside from dislocation of the knee

James Kaprielian is a high upside, high velo guy who lost two seasons of development due to a misdiagnosed elbow injury then subsequent surgery. He's got top notch stuff, but he's missed so much time that it's hard to determine what his stuff will look like once he's healthy.

Jorge Mateo was a frustrating prospect. He's got power projection, quick handed, good glove projection and speed to burn. But he's been dogged with attitude issues and is buried in terms of depth in the organization. He's got serious boom or bust potential if he gets his act straight.

We gave up serious talent, but all with warts. We'll see how that projects long term
    Hal sucks

I like this deal a lot for the Yankees, as I said before two lottery tickets plus Mateo

Gray - If he can adjust to Yankee Stadium and stay healthy this is a steal for the Yankees

Fowler - Very unfortunate and heartbreaking what happened to this kid, all feelings aside the type of injury he had is serious and career threatening it's very hard to tell if he will recover to his previous form, this guy without the speed is average at best, even with the speed he might be only a regular major leaguer or a 4th outfielder. I really hope he fully recovers, he is a hard worker and you never bet against those guys

Kap - All the talent in the world, he has a better chance to recover, TJ has been almost a routine operation lately, still some never recover (about 15%), this guy is a true #1 SP prospect he could be the best value the A's got in this deal

Mateo - A blazing speed, developing power but with some big makeup issues, I think the Yanks elevated his value in the last month by promoting him to AA, If he puts everything together he's an above average ML player, I have serous doubts with him

After looking at this trade I love that Cashman didn't trade Florial and was able to sell high on Mateo, at this moment it looks like a huge win for the Yankees

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    No idea what Beane is doing. There was no urgency to trade Gray now, and getting two injured players in return, one coming off TJ is madness. I'm not sure what the true value of Gray was - he's under control but he's also got a big injury question mark. I think the As should have gotten something more in some respect, though.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Beane is an asshat who believes his own press clippings.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Beane got more talent than he probably should have, but with the caveat of current injury looks large
    Hal sucks

I know we need a big bat more than a SP'er, but with what the Yanks paid for Gray and his 2.3 years of team control, we missed out on a great chance at improving our chances for the next 3 playoff cycles.

I've never been a DD fan, but I've wanted to give him a chance. I'm not happy after today.

Beane is an asshat who believes his own press clippings.
    But he did get to fuck Angelina Jolie!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    But he did get to fuck Angelina Jolie!
    And cheated on her too!! He da man!

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I know we need a big bat more than a SP'er, but with what the Yanks paid for Gray and his 2.3 years of team control, we missed out on a great chance at improving our chances for the next 3 playoff cycles.

I've never been a DD fan, but I've wanted to give him a chance. I'm not happy after today.

How would Gray have effected the cap for this year after we snagged two guys already?

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

And cheated on her too!! He da maing!
    lol

Fixed that for you.

Looks like a very good deal for the Yanks. Cashman has been on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
    lol

fixed that for you.
    lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Looks like a very good deal for the Yanks. Cashman has been on a roll.
    Yes he has been.

Beano, your trade stinks, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Even with two of the prospects being injured, I don't see anyway the Sox could've beat that offer.