Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part III

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I agree, but if the choice comes down to signing one of these 4 FAs, who do you want?

Hosmer
    Duda
    Alonso
    Moustakas (30 HRs in 404 PAs this year, but not a big power hitter beforehand)

I'm not saying these are our only choices, but go with the question.
    Carlos Santana?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Carlos Santana?
    Hosmer will probably be the cheapest - and there is a sense of untapped upside there

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Hosmer will probably be the cheapest - and there is a sense of untapped upside there
    Commentary on Eric Hosmer's worth on the free agent market:

https://www.royalsreview.com/2016/7/...0-million-deal

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...-stats-purists

... and an analysis with an interesting comparison with Mitch Moreland:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-lea...r-eric-hosmer/
    Last edited by harmony; 08-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Carlos Santana?
    I wouldn't.

He's 5-11, no just kidding, but the guy has only been over .800 twice in his last 6 seasons.

34 HRs were nice last year, but he's only been over 20 twice in his last 6 years.

He'd be an upgrade, but my guess is, he's looking for a long term deal. He turns 32 in April.

Some interesting factoids on our most recent 5 game stretch:

39 runs scored

7 HRs in 5 games.

18 2Bs and 1 3B

21 BBs + 3 HBP + 2 reaches on dropped third strikes.

Our two best OPS guys are not Nunez or Devers.

Our two best OPS guys are our catchers!
    3.000 Leon (granted, he's 1 for 1)
    1.524 Vazquez (12 for 21 with a huge HR)

A week ago, who would of thought our OPS leaders would be these 6 players?
    3.000 Leon
    1.524 Vaz
    1.415 Devers
    1.355 Nunez
    1.292 Holt
    1.041 Moreland
    (While this doea show the silliness of small sample sizes, I still think it's kind of amazing.)

Who is slumping?
    .338 JBJ
    .500 Young (0-1)
    .623 Bogey
    .675 HRam

Mid land or better:
    .883 Beni
    .755 Betts

AL Leaders in Winning %
    .639 HOU
    .550 BOS
    .547 CLE
    .533 NYY
    .523 KCR
    .518 TBR
    .500 SEA

The AL East has the best winning% for their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place teams.

2nd
    NYY .533, KCR .523, SEA .500

3rd
    TBR .518, LAA .495, MN .481

4th
    BAL .491, TEX .481, DET .467

5th
    TOR .472, OAK .440, CWS .387

In fact, our last place team, TOR, is better than the Central Division's 4th place team, DET. Our 4th place team, BAL, has a better record than 3rd place MN. TBR has a better record than 2nd place SEA.

Andrew Miller to the DL.

Breslow signed to minor league deal.

Jay Bruce passed through revocable waivers.

I guess we didn't want him all along.

This is the strangest season I can ever recall. As a lifelong Red Sox fan I'm just not used to a lineup where the heart of the order is littered with guys hitting .250-.270 with little power. Outside of Sale our starters are inconsistent, the bullpen issues are well documented and they have had injuries to key players. Yet here they are in the August with a 3 game lead. The infusion of Devers and Nunez has clearly been a huge reason as they have replaced two almost automatic outs with two huge bats. Obviously both will cool off but getting Pedroia (my favorite player) back will be great.
    Last edited by Yaz Fan Since '67; 08-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    This is the strangest season I can ever recall. As a lifelong Red Sox fan I'm just not used to a lineup where the heart of the order is littered with guys hitting .250-.270 with little power. Outside of Sale our starters are inconsistent, the bullpen issues are well documented and they have had injuries to key players. Yet here they are in the August with a 3 game lead. The infusion of Devers and Nunez has clearly been a huge reason as they have replaced two almost automatic outs with two huge bats. Obviously both will cool off but getting Pedroia (my favorite player) back
    For all of the problems this team has had, both on and supposedly off the field, you can't complain about having a 3 game lead on August 5.

Second best record in the AL and one game better than where we stood at this time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    This is the strangest season I can ever recall. As a lifelong Red Sox fan I'm just not used to a lineup where the heart of the order is littered with guys hitting .250-.270 with little power. Outside of Sale our starters are inconsistent, the bullpen issues are well documented and they have had injuries to key players. Yet here they are in the August with a 3 game lead. The infusion of Devers and Nunez has clearly been a huge reason as they have replaced two almost automatic outs with two huge bats. Obviously both will cool off but getting Pedroia (my favorite player) back
    It is strange, and the Sox fan paradigm might have to be shaken. Many other teams have won without hitting. They've won with a lot worse than ours is right now. We're used to winning with our offense, but if you look closer, the years we won were after adding a big arm (Schilling for '04, Beckett for '07 and Lackey for '13)

One thing I've heard is that it's near impossible to win with 2 black holes in the line-up. Check this out:

The KC Royals won in 2015 with this crap in their line-up:
    Out of their top 9 PA players...
    .552 Omar Infante (455 PAs)
    .614 Alcides Escobar (662 PAs- 2nd on the team!!!)
    .640 Alex Rios (411 PAs)
    .706 Salvador Perez (553)

They also had this off their bench:
    .691 Jarrod Dyson (225)
    .692 Christian Colon (119)

They had no batters with more than 22 HRs and only 2 guys with more than 82 RBIs.

You want to know what was even more surprising? 4 of their top 6 starters by GS'd had ERAs over 4.07. The two that were uder were powerhouse pitchers named Edinson Volquez and Chris Freakin' Young!

We are not the 2015 Royals, but they are a good example for showing how there are more ways to win than by out-bashing your opponents.

While our rotation has been inconsistent, it's as good or better than anyone else's in the AL, especially when you shorten it to 3-4 starts for the playoff series.

According to fangraphs, here's how our starters rank by WAR among AL SPe'rs:

1. Sale 6.5 (The gap between Sale and Kluber 4.4 is more than Kluber vs the #10 SP in the AL.)

12 Pomeranz

18 Porcello

The INdians have #2 (Kluber), #8 (Carrasco) and #13 (Bauer), but if Price or ERod can regain form, I think we have a clear edge. The Astros have no starters in thet op 30 and MIke Fiers is at 31.

We have the best closer in MLB and a top 10 defense.

Let's see if we can win one without a big-basher line-up.

It is strange, and the Sox fan paradigm might have to be shaken. Many other teams have won without hitting. They've won with a lot worse than ours is right now. We're used to winning with our offense, but if you look closer, the years we won were after adding a big arm (Schilling for '04, Beckett for '07 and Lackey for '13)

One thing I've heard is that it's near impossible to win with 2 black holes in the line-up. Check this out:

The KC Royals won in 2015 with this crap in their line-up:
    Out of their top 9 PA players...
    .552 Omar Infante (455 PAs)
    .614 Alcides Escobar (662 PAs- 2nd on the team!!!)
    .640 Alex Rios (411 PAs)
    .706 Salvador Perez (553)

They also had this off their bench:
    .691 Jarrod Dyson (225)
    .692 Christian Colon (119)

They had no batters with more than 22 HRs and only 2 guys with more than 82 RBIs.

You want to know what was even more surprising? 4 of their top 6 starters by GS'd had ERAs over 4.07. The two that were uder were powerhouse pitchers named Edinson Volquez and Chris Freakin' Young!

We are not the 2015 Royals, but they are a good example for showing how there are more ways to win than by out-bashing your opponents.

While our rotation has been inconsistent, it's as good or better than anyone else's in the AL, especially when you shorten it to 3-4 starts for the playoff series.

According to fangraphs, here's how our starters rank by WAR among AL SPe'rs:

1. Sale 6.5 (The gap between Sale and Kluber 4.4 is more than Kluber vs the #10 SP in the AL.)

12 Pomeranz

18 Porcello

The INdians have #2 (Kluber), #8 (Carrasco) and #13 (Bauer), but if Price or ERod can regain form, I think we have a clear edge. The Astros have no starters in thet op 30 and MIke Fiers is at 31.

We have the best closer in MLB and a top 10 defense.

Let's see if we can win one without a big-basher line-up.
    It's posts like this that make me visit this board. I'll admit it, as big of a sports fan as I am baseball is down my list a few spots. I can name every Redskins first round pick over the past 30 years. I know every Maryland basketball player who has ever played. But being from out of town and unable to watch most games I am a bit out of touch with the Sox and baseball in general when compared to my knowledge of the other sports. So I come here and appreciate the knowledge you folks have.
    Last edited by Yaz Fan Since '67; 08-05-2017 at 12:27 PM.

It's been fun watching the Sox lately, and hopefully our rotation will get healthy and back in the groove come playoff time.

so.....

Some studies show putting your best hitter up second is best.

Does this mean Holt is our best hitter?

At the risk of sounding non PC, and going against my sworn oath as a teacher to not use the "R" word, JF is retarded.

so.....

Some studies show putting your best hitter up second is best.

Does this mean Holt is our best hitter?

At the risk of sounding non PC, and going against my sworn oath as a teacher to not use the "R" word, JF is retarded.
    No but it proves that we are managed by a Johnny Half-head.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."