Register now to remove this ad

Thread: The Cubs gave Steve Bartman a World Series ring

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

The Cubs gave Steve Bartman a World Series ring

I know his life has been hell, but I'm really not sure what I think about this. Seems like they're just bringing the whole thing back up again when it should remain buried. I know they want to "reach out" to him, but I'm not sure this is the right way of doing it. What next, a statue outside Wrigley? (That would be so freaking cool, headphones and cap and arms reaching up).
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Good story, I think.

i think it's awesome.
    i posted this in another thread yesterday:
    "Although I do not consider myself worthy of such an honor, I am deeply moved and sincerely grateful to receive an official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Championship ring," he said in a statement. "I am fully aware of the historical significance and appreciate the symbolism the ring represents on multiple levels. My family and I will cherish it for generations. Most meaningful is the genuine outreach from the Ricketts family, on behalf of the Cubs organization and fans, signifying to me that I am welcomed back into the Cubs family and have their support going forward. I am relieved and hopeful that the saga of the 2003 foul ball incident surrounding my family and me is finally over.

"I humbly receive the ring not only as a symbol of one of the most historic achievements in sports, but as an important reminder for how we should treat each other in today's society. My hope is that we all can learn from my experience to view sports as entertainment and prevent harsh scapegoating, and to challenge the media and opportunistic profiteers to conduct business ethically by respecting personal privacy rights and not exploit any individual to advance their own self-interest or economic gain."
    "Moreover, I am hopeful this ring gesture will be the start of an important healing and reconciliation process for all involved. To that end, I request the media please respect my privacy, and the privacy of my family. I will not participate in interviews or further public statements at this time.

"Words alone cannot express my heartfelt thanks to the Ricketts family, Crane Kenney, Theo Epstein, and the entire Cubs organization for this extraordinary gift, and for providing the City of Chicago and Cubs fans everywhere an unforgettable World Championship in 2016. I am happy to be reunited with the Cubs family and positively moving forward with my life."
    other names i have posted under: none

I think it's awesome too. Nice job Cubbies.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I'd say he deserved one simply for how shitty his life was for a while. Cubs fans treated the guy like garbage instead of focusing on how badly their team performed following that play. Alou may or may not have caught that ball, but the Cubs gave up 8 runs after that, and then lost the next game. Anyone who thought that was Bartman's fault is an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

I'm with Linda Cohn on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm with Linda Cohn on this one.
    What did she say?

If the Cubs are sincere they should give the guy a lifetime luxury suit seat.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

The Cubs are just trying smooth over the complete idiocy of the Wrigley Field hooligans. Those fans are so fucked up, drunk'd up and juvenile! What I wonder is how he's gonna get the ring. To my knowledge his whereabouts are still a mystery.