Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Oh, that's different. That's a bargain!
    Lol...... yea....... I feel like I've won the lottery.

I'm now sitting on a mound of percocet. I've never been and never will be a pill popper........... but I'm wondering if it would make me forget about how crappy even very good health insurance is.

There is a lot of money moving around in these healthcare scenarios.......amounts I can't even fathom...
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

A good buzz is temporary but screwed up healthcare system is forever.
    I don't know how we got to the point where hospitals can charge $20 for a bandaid, but someone is making a ton of money.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

A good buzz is temporary but screwed up healthcare system is forever.
    I don't know how we got to the point where hospitals can charge $20 for a bandaid, but someone is making a ton of money.
    Yes, the hospital. The insurer doesn't want to pay inflated charges. The smaller the cost of medical services the bigger the profit for the insurer. The itemized charges are so overwhelmingly long and detailed that the insurers can't challenge every single charge. They just pay it. A
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    My wife blew out her ACL and meniscus and is having surgery this week.

I know there is no two injuries that are the same, or surgeries, or healing time. But I'm wondering if any of you have had the surgery, or know anyone who has. And if you have any suggestions or know about things to expect?
    First, sorry to hear about your wife. This is major surgery and it will require a lot of dedication to a PT and strengthening program. First bit of advice (and this is obvious): get an orthopedist who specializes in repairing knees. Most guys in the field are jack of all trade types, but some just do knees (or shoulders or whatever). Second, you should expect a success rate of 80- 90% if a good surgeon performs the operation, at least initially, if your wife is dedicated to the rehab program-especially the strengthening and range of motion parts of it. Finally, since there is an increased risk of osteoarthritis after a meniscus tear and/or an ACL repair, its crucial for her to keep the weight off as that also increases the risk of osteoarthritis. Being female is another risk factor for it as well. It wouldn't happen until over five years after the surgery, but attention to the weight will help reduce the risk. Its fairly debilitating if she were to develop it. Some doctors advise patients who have a meniscus repair (as I did) to avoid impact exercises like running. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 08-09-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    First, sorry to hear about your wife. This is major surgery and it will require a lot of dedication to a PT and strengthening program. First bit of advice (and this is obvious): get an orthopedist who specializes in repairing knees. Most guys in the field are jack of all trade types, but some just do knees (or shoulders or whatever). Second, you should expect a success rate of 80- 90% if a good surgeon performs the operation, at least initially, if your wife is dedicated to the rehab program-especially the strengthening and range of motion parts of it. Finally, since there is an increased risk of osteoarthritis after a meniscus tear and/or an ACL repair, its crucial for her to keep the weight off as that also increases the risk of osteoarthritis. Being female is another risk factor for it as well. It wouldn't happen until over five years after the surgery, but attention to the weight will help reduce the risk. Its fairly debilitating if she were to develop it. Some doctors advise patients who have a meniscus repair (as I did) to avoid impact exercises like running. Hope that helps.
    Thanks..... she had a high caliber surgeon. One that worked on Dallas Cowboy players before.

She also had a meniscus repair during the surgery.

It amazes me how hard it is for people to do rehab. Strong people can just give up on rehab. I've been an a-hole for the last week making sure she is doing what she needs to do. I feel for care givers that do this at long periods of time...... it can be frustrating.

She's a clean gal..... never does drugs or gets more than tipsy........ the pain meds are messing with her big time even after a week.

I'm trying to imagine being stuck in bed pretty much for a week................ it can't be fun....
    In our yellow submarine

Thanks..... she had a high caliber surgeon. One that worked on Dallas Cowboy players before.

She also had a meniscus repair during the surgery.

It amazes me how hard it is for people to do rehab. Strong people can just give up on rehab. I've been an a-hole for the last week making sure she is doing what she needs to do. I feel for care givers that do this at long periods of time...... it can be frustrating.

She's a clean gal..... never does drugs or gets more than tipsy........ the pain meds are messing with her big time even after a week.

I'm trying to imagine being stuck in bed pretty much for a week................ it can't be fun....
    Rehab is no picnic. It's painful and exhausting, but it's worth it if she can be up and around when the doc says she should be.
    Keep after her, even if she gets pissed at you.
    And get her off the prescription pain meds and on tylenol or advil as soon as she can stand it.
    That stuff screws with you in a lot of different ways.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rehab is no picnic. It's painful and exhausting, but it's worth it if she can be up and around when the doc says she should be.
    And get her off the prescription pain meds and on tylenol or advil as soon as she can stand it.
    Sound advice.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I appreciate the replies........

you are right. This hasn't been a picnic for sure.....

Today finally off the presciption pain meds.......... it's quite the difference.........today has been positive. She finally has been able to focus on anything besides being ill.

I asked herif she wants me to play the Rocky Theme song when she does rehab, that "getting strong now" song........... just so you all know in case you have to go through this............ she thought it wan't such a great idea.
    In our yellow submarine

Today finally off the presciption pain meds.......... it's quite the difference.........today has been positive. She finally has been able to focus on anything besides being ill.

I asked herif she wants me to play the Rocky Theme song when she does rehab, that "getting strong now" song........... just so you all know in case you have to go through this............ she thought it wan't such a great idea.
    I have done physical therapy a couple of times. For me it was frustratingly slow and painful at the beginning, but each time at some point, I turned a corner and saw a big improvement and then things progressed at a much faster pace. Be extra encouraging at the beginning.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I have done physical therapy a couple of times. For me it was frustratingly slow and painful at the beginning, but each time at some point, I turned a corner and saw a big improvement and then things progressed at a much faster pace. Be extra encouraging at the beginning.
    I had five months of PT on my knee and it all sucked.

Just when I thought the pain it caused was tolerable, they introduced me to this board that had a ball under it and I had to stretch my knee in all directions.

Once you heal up you just need to be accustomed to walking with new sensations.

Eventually it does not hurt but you never trust that knee again.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

LOL
    That's too bad.
    Try "Eye of the Tiger"!
    Good job with dropping the prescription meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I had five months of PT on my knee and it all sucked.

Just when I thought the pain it caused was tolerable, they introduced me to this board that had a ball under it and I had to stretch my knee in all directions. Y

Once you heal up you just need to be accustomed to walking with new sensations.

Eventually it does not hurt but you never trust that knee again.
    I was lucky that I haven't had a major joint injury. I would imagine that it is hard if not impossible to get it back to 100%.

I was lucky that I haven't had a major joint injury. I would imagine that it is hard if not impossible to get it back to 100%.
    At our age it is all about avoiding knee replacement surgery.