Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So Eckersley doesn't call the games anymore...??

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Boggs was easily the best 3rd baseman for the Sox in my lifetime.

There is no room for discussion.

I think the beard looks awful but that is his choice.

He did well in the booth.
    The contempt for Boggs as a player was ridiculous, but it was in a long long tradition of RS fandom. Rice was booed. So was Williams. Yaz got a lot of criticism. So Clemens. Seems to me I ran into a couple of cries here for Pedey's head. And of course Dice-K sucked the year he won 18 games. Lee Smith sucked. Ortiz was done. etc. etc. Adrian Gonzales 'never fit in'. And Manny of course was terrible ....

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Well, Eck has openly admitted it. I see it more of a strength that he's able to know his limitations and puts his family over his career. Eck standing up and saying that seems pretty admirable to me.
    Not to mention that this perceived flaw in Eckersley is based on the fact that he has admitted some mistakes and taken steps to correct them...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    What didn't you like about Boggs as a player -- too many batting championships... too high of an OBP?
    I know. I don't get why Sox fans don't like the better players on this team...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I know. I don't get why Sox fans don't like the better players on this team...
    I can't think of a good player on this team who is disliked.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    I can't think of a good player on this team who is disliked.
    Well, mvp has his consistent tirades against Pedroia. In fact, Pedroia seems to get a lot more crap than he probably deserves.

Price is certainly also very unpopular right now...
    Last edited by notin; 09-09-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Well, mvp has his consistent tirades against Pedroia. In fact, Pedroia seems to get a lot more crap than he probably deserves.

I don't think MVP dislikes the guy, and he acknowledged being wrong about him last season. I let him speak for himself on the topic. I don't get why anyone would dislike the guy as a player. He has been nothing but excellent.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I don't think MVP dislikes the guy, and he acknowledged being wrong about him last season. I let him speak for himself on the topic. I don't get why anyone would dislike the guy as a player. He has been nothing but excellent.
    ...although he didn't do himself any favors with the "It's not me, it's them" routine.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Tirades? When?

I just think a comparable guy could be found at a cheaper price point and his injury history will only grow as he ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Tirades? When?

I just think a comparable guy could be found at a cheaper price point and his injury history will only grow as he ages.
    Pedroia's best days are past, but in an era where fans complain that the Sox let internal guys go snd bring in (less productive) players from other teams, I am glad they retained Pedroia.

Although I do think your dislike of Pedroia seems to have taken a new life as a running joke...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    ...although he didn't do himself any favors with the "It's not me, it's them" routine.
    It's also possible there is more to that whole situation than we know. What if Pedroia told his teammates NOT to retaliate against Machado? Maybe he wanted the whole situation to not escalate like it did. And then Barnes would have acted on his own.

Usually retaliation HBPs happen right away at the first opportunity. That it didn't happen before Barnes got in the game might be somewhat significant...

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Many baseball players are jerks. I try to avoid the stuff they say, because it is usually disappointing. I just admire what I see on the field.

It's also possible there is more to that whole situation than we know. What if Pedroia told his teammates NOT to retaliate against Machado? Maybe he wanted the whole situation to not escalate like it did. And then Barnes would have acted on his own.

Usually retaliation HBPs happen right away at the first opportunity. That it didn't happen before Barnes got in the game might be somewhat significant...
    I see a lot of possibles, what if's, maybes, mights and usuallys in that post. To quote Bill Parcells, all I know is what I see.
    Last edited by S5Dewey; 09-10-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Pedroia's best days are past, but in an era where fans complain that the Sox let internal guys go snd bring in (less productive) players from other teams, I am glad they retained Pedroia.

Although I do think your dislike of Pedroia seems to have taken a new life as a running joke...
    Or maybe it was a running joke that pissed so many people off that I was happy to play off as hating the player?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Many baseball players are jerks. I try to avoid the stuff they say, because it is usually disappointing. I just admire what I see on the field.
    This is true. But I still can't help but dislike the ones who seem to me to be jerkier than the other jerks. Some of it does have to do with how they act on the field. Other stuff has to do with what they say to the press and what we learn about their private lives.

Pedro Martinez was a great pitcher I didn't like. He was a prima donna and a bean-ball artist. If he was on the opposing team many of us might have hated him. Ted Williams, the greatest hitter of all time had a love/hate relationship with the fans that he partly helped to fuel. Manny Ramirez got away with the same things Williams was criticized for because he was a goofy man-child who took nothing seriously. And Manny is another one who was a great player but I personally did not like him.

It is possible to admire the baseball player while looking down on the man.

Legend
    Now John Valentin as color man. That was a bridge too far for me. The guy just isn't a TV or radio guy and his first time out was a flop.