Register now to remove this ad

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Debunking the 3 year window myth -- the Red Sox in 2020

Does HRam need surgery?

If so, maybe he'll come back and have a year like 2016 or even better. He's not too old to have another really big year.

One problem is, he could have a great 2018, vest the option and then stink again in 2019.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    And if it looks like you’re keeping his PAs down just to keep the option from kicking in, then the union will have a field day. But if you have him platooning, then he’ll have no say. They can’t have him around the 450-490 range without the union throwing a fit. He needs to be under 400 with good justification to avoid an arbitration motion
    I really doubt a Lucas Duda platoon will keep the union quiet. And it certainly won't silence Hanley's agent, who probably has already drafted his motion, just in case..
    Last edited by notin; 09-23-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    One problem is, he could have a great 2018, vest the option and then stink again in 2019.
    Either way, it seems we're going to have to pay him for one year in which he stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Either way, it seems we're going to have to pay him for one year in which he stinks!
    Yes, and to me, the chances of two bad years are higher than two good years.

For just this reason, I said before the 2016 season, we should trade HRam after 2016, even if he hits over .900.

I changed my mind after he had a good 2016, mostly because Papi retired, but I should haves tuck to my guns.

I think it would have been extremely hard to trade Hanley regardless. An aging DH with erratic numbers and recurring injury issues and that stupid vesting option.

Doesn't Hanley have to pass a physical in order for the option to vest? If Hanley is healthy, I think he will be a very good hitter for us, and we'll want him in the line up.

If he's not healthy, then I don't think the union has a case as far as Hanley not getting the PAs. Additionally, how would he pass the physical if his shoulders are all messed up?

I think it would have been extremely hard to trade Hanley regardless. An aging DH with erratic numbers and recurring injury issues and that stupid vesting option.
    I didn't expect us to get anything of great value in return. I just wanted to dump salary.

I do think some team would have taken HRam off our hands. He looked like a decent 1Bman. Maybe we'd have had to pay $2-5M a year as an offset, but I think we could have traded him.

I cans ee why we didn't, and like I said, even I changed my mind and wanted to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Doesn't Hanley have to pass a physical in order for the option to vest? If Hanley is healthy, I think he will be a very good hitter for us, and we'll want him in the line up.

If he's not healthy, then I don't think the union has a case as far as Hanley not getting the PAs. Additionally, how would he pass the physical if his shoulders are all messed up?
    Yes, there is a physical involved in the vesting.

Personally I think whatever injury issues Hanley has had this year have been the 'nagging' kind. If he had anything serious he wouldn't be playing as much as he has. And he can still pound the ball when he does connect.

I actually like Hanley in spite of it all.

Deity
    Personally I think whatever injury issues Hanley has had this year have been the 'nagging' kind. If he had anything serious he wouldn't be playing as much as he has. And he can still pound the ball when he does connect.

I actually like Hanley in spite of it all.
    I'm somewhat of a Hanley convert myself. I hope that he can come through for us as well as for himself. I saw him in Portland and am pretty sure that we at least sort of know why he was traded in spite of the awesome potential that he had. He has matured. He seems very solid to me. We need the throw back Hanley! Let's go.

HRam and Betts are perhaps our best hopes at showing some dominant power in the playoffs.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    HRam and Betts are perhaps our best hopes at showing some dominant power in the playoffs.
    I would put Devers in that class and equal to or better to Hanley.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

Good luck "failing" his physical and getting it by the union. This is the same deal guys. You cannot intentionally diminish a player's PA's to avoid an option if they are playing well. Hanley isn't playing well this year, but lets say he puts up a .260 25HR season next yr, or he is on pace for it. Do you think the sox can justify having him miss his option by 30 or 40 AB's when there is no better option on the team? I know Hanley hasn't been great vs lefties this year, but his three years prior he is clearly better vs lefties than his splits vs righties. Here is what you do. You sign Duda on a pillow contract and have him be the lefty portion of a platoon with Hanley while also having him play a bit at 1b opening up some PT for Hanley vs righties. It wouldn't be a pure platoon, but it would pull enough AB's from Hanley to allow him to miss his option without making it look like you're sitting Hanley specifically for contract purposes
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I would put Devers in that class and equal to or better to Hanley.
    Good point, and he's already showed he is unfazed by high pressure.

I still think HRam has a chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Good luck "failing" his physical and getting it by the union. This is the same deal guys. You cannot intentionally diminish a player's PA's to avoid an option if they are playing well. Hanley isn't playing well this year, but lets say he puts up a .260 25HR season next yr, or he is on pace for it. Do you think the sox can justify having him miss his option by 30 or 40 AB's when there is no better option on the team? I know Hanley hasn't been great vs lefties this year, but his three years prior he is clearly better vs lefties than his splits vs righties. Here is what you do. You sign Duda on a pillow contract and have him be the lefty portion of a platoon with Hanley while also having him play a bit at 1b opening up some PT for Hanley vs righties. It wouldn't be a pure platoon, but it would pull enough AB's from Hanley to allow him to miss his option without making it look like you're sitting Hanley specifically for contract purposes
    If we have someone equal or better to HRam to play, I doubt a union grievance will carry much weight, despite what pace he's on next year.