Register now to remove this ad

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Debunking the 3 year window myth -- the Red Sox in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Relax and enjoy the ride, that's what I say.
    Being concerned about an aspect of this team and relaxing and enjoying the ride are not mutually exclusive.

Otherwise, there would not be a single person on this forum who could relax and enjoy the ride.

Bottom line is we were getting pitiful production from 3B, 1B and DH spot relative to the league.

3B looks to be fixed.

Moreland is playing as well as expected and what we paid for. Plus he was to share the bag with Hanley with Yound taking over the DH spot on those days. That did not happen.

Hurt or otherwise, Hanley has been disappointing. There's always a nagging injury with the guy. Hell he can hurt himself just swinging the bat.

Travis would be serviceable and cost effective at 1B if Devers and Hanley gives us 30 home runs apiece.

Maybe we sign Nunez and see what we need at 2018 trade deadline. Our pen should be improved next year (although that can change quickly from year to year).
    Last edited by Nick; 08-18-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    No, I asked why we didn't kick the tires.

I loved the Sale trade, because the player received was for multiple years at a cheap cost. I love upgrading the rotation. I was not for other trades that have ended up looking very good so far (Kimbrel & Pom).

I would have traded Groome, Chavis, Beeks and Lakin for Gray, but not Mata and Flores. That offer I mentioned was just to prove we "had the pieces".
    What I'm saying is you seem to want it both ways. You complain about DD setting us up for a cliff, then you complain about him not making a bigger effort to trade even more prospects and make the cliff even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Being concerned about an aspect of this team and relaxing and enjoying the ride are not mutually exclusive.

Otherwise, there would not be a single person on this forum who could relax and enjoy the ride.
    I was just being a joker. The sunglasses will be my 'being a joker' sign from now on.

Is it a norm to have constant injuries among our pitchers? Is that the future of mlb pitchers?

Just seems like we can't catch a break. (nobody got hurt, I'm talking in general)
    Last edited by Nick; 08-18-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Is it a norm to have constant injuries among our pitchers? Is that the future of mlb pitchers?

Just seems like we can't catch a break.
    There are a lot of pitchers on the DL, I can tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

I just drink my concerns away.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    The 1B/DH thing - if that is the hole in the lineup - is one of the easier holes to fill. You could look for a big answer - or fish in the pool of one year upside plays. For instance, I cannot imagine the Jays picking up Bautista's option ... I would throw an incentive laden 1 year deal at him to see what he has left. Curtis Granderson is another.

Hosmer is an upside play - and 1B is a buyer's market - but yeah his age could mean a team offers 5 years which would be hard to justify. Giving Travis a full legitimate run at the position is still on the table for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    The 1B/DH thing - if that is the hole in the lineup - is one of the easier holes to fill. You could look for a big answer - or fish in the pool of one year upside plays. For instance, I cannot imagine the Jays picking up Bautista's option ... I would throw an incentive laden 1 year deal at him to see what he has left. Curtis Granderson is another.

Hosmer is an upside play - and 1B is a buyer's market - but yeah his age could mean a team offers 5 years which would be hard to justify. Giving Travis a full legitimate run at the position is still on the table for me too.
    They are working Brentz out at 1B. Unless Travis can get some extra bases once in a while, I'm not sure he's a good fit here.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bottom line is we were getting pitiful production from 3B, 1B and DH spot relative to the league.

3B looks to be fixed.

Moreland is playing as well as expected and what we paid for. Plus he was to share the bag with Hanley with Yound taking over the DH spot on those days. That did not happen.

Hurt or otherwise, Hanley has been disappointing. There's always a nagging injury with the guy. Hell he can hurt himself just swinging the bat...
    I agree, Young has only DH'd 16 times and HRam has played 1B only 10 times. We've only faced a lefty starter 26 times, though, so the 1B-DH platoon we hoped for has only missed 10 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    What I'm saying is you seem to want it both ways. You complain about DD setting us up for a cliff, then you complain about him not making a bigger effort to trade even more prospects and make the cliff even worse.
    I responded to a post that said we "din not have the pieces" (without Devers) to trade for Gray.

I did not say I wanted to trade Groome, Chavis, Mata and Flores for Gray.

I have been very clear about my philosophy. I'm not for hoarding prospects. I want a balance. I was against trading 4 prospects for a RP'er and a very high ceiling prospect for a 3/4 slot SP'er. I loved the Sale trade and have suggested trades like that my whole life. I love pitching and defense. I liked Pom and Kimbrel, but I did not think they were worth the prospects we gave up. Kimbrel has done about as I expected, while Pom has done better- but not by a whole lot (in totality). Those two trades certainly helped us be very good for the "window", but I think in totality, we went too far.

That does not mean that since I think we have already gone too far, we totally cease looking for opportunities to acquire great pitching, if the price is reasonable. In hindsight, had we not made all those non-Sale trades, amybe we'd have Sale, Quintana and Gray instead of Kimbrel, Thornburg, Pom & circumstance (I had to say it). I'm not saying I'm smarter than Ben & DD. My suggested team might have ended up doing worse than this one will do.

I have close to zero confidence in Bautista or Granderson.

I would not sign Hosmer to more than 2-3 years, so I think that mean bye-bye.

Giving Travis (and Chavis or Brentz) a shot at winning the 1B job next spring or during the season is a fine idea, but it better not be the only plan for fixing 1B/DH next year. Signing another Moreland type doesn't satisfy my desires either.

Legend
    I have close to zero confidence in Bautista or Granderson.

I would not sign Hosmer to more than 2-3 years, so I think that mean bye-bye.

Giving Travis (and Chavis or Brentz) a shot at winning the 1B job next spring or during the season is a fine idea, but it better not be the only plan for fixing 1B/DH next year. Signing another Moreland type doesn't satisfy my desires either.
    My confidence is low in both - but all it costs is money, and probably not more than 1-year hitch. And at least unlike Moreland, you are actually betting on players who have actually been good before.

My confidence is low in both - but all it costs is money, and probably not more than 1-year hitch. And at least unlike Moreland, you are actually betting on players who have actually been good before.
    I'm not a big Moreland fan, and I do not want him back.

I think we can and should do better than Moreland, Granderson and Bautista next year.

Plus, I want a 1Bman not another DH. I don't trust HRam at 1B longterm anymore. I barely trust him at DH.

I'm not happy with the Duda, Hosmer, Alonso, Santana and Morrison FA 1Bmen choices this winter, but I think I'd rather have any of these guys on a short 1-2 year deal over the three above.

Maybe we'll make a trade. Maybe the declining, injury-prone, one-year-left-on-his-contract, Adrian Gonzalez could be gotten for cheap.
    The Dodgers might even pay part of his remaining contract. (I'm not sure I want him either, but he is a possible winter option.)

Legend
    I'm not a big Moreland fan, and I do not want him back.

I think we can and should do better than Moreland, Granderson and Bautista next year.

Plus, I want a 1Bman not another DH. I don't trust HRam at 1B longterm anymore. I barely trust him at DH.

I'm not happy with the Duda, Hosmer, Alonso, Santana and Morrison FA 1Bmen choices this winter, but I think I'd rather have any of these guys on a short 1-2 year deal over the three above.

Maybe we'll make a trade. Maybe the declining, injury-prone, one-year-left-on-his-contract, Adrian Gonzalez could be gotten for cheap.
    The Dodgers might even pay part of his remaining contract. (I'm not sure I want him either, but he is a possible winter option.)
    There are a lot of options. Granderson had been better than Moreland this year too despite hitting .228. Bautista has been dreadful though his line drive stats and such are not really out of line with his career. And while I do not discount 1B defensively - it is still a place to put a bat if you don't have JT Snow out there.

I am optimistic about getting one of the Duda/Hosmer group though - it is a buyer's market ...