Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton - U- B-Sox-GM

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I realize Stanton is to be paid $25-32M every year until 2027 and then has a $10M buyout on another $25M option, but the luxury tax hit is just $25M.

For a stud like Stanton, $25M is cheap.

The M's do NOT need to pay salary or take on salary to trade GS.

HE IS NOT A SALARY DUMP PLAYER!

He's worth every penny and then some. Somebody will pay it.

The issue is "paying it" PLUS giving up several top prospects. One or the other is fine, but both is almost always a no-no.

The Sale trade was great, because Sale is making way less than market value.
    I think that opt out puts a lot of uncertainty on his value too. If he's this guy going forward, you only have him for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    I think that opt out puts a lot of uncertainty on his value too. If he's this guy going forward, you only have him for two years.
    That should lessen the return package, yet people are acting like his contract is a salary dump one.

They aren't going to win a WS by 2020. You trade him for assets that could be part of a WS contender in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

as stated for the past 2 years...give miami whatever they want for stanton.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    No way.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSWiMoO8zNE
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Stanton gets hurt (Price) then what? All of that money tied up in one player is not where the Sox need to go. They would ask for Devers and Benny and that is young controllable players with a lot of upside. If you could get him without giving up Devers and Benny then maybe you could think about it. My fear would be that he would come to Boston and become what Judge has become (second half) for the Yankees. The bright lights of Boston has that effect. Right now he is playing in a stress free situation with the Marlins. So I would think real long before trading a Devers or Benny who have show that Boston doesn't seem to bother them.

What they're asking for Stanton and what they'd get are two different things.

As Moon has said repeatedly, for the Sox to sign Stanton would be a double-whammy. They'd not only have to give up prime talent they'd also be stuck with a player's salary that would seriously hamper future acquisitions.

I'd be willing to part with Beni because that would open up a defensive spot for Stanton. I'd also be willing to lose Bogaerts because, frankly, I think he's overrated and replaceable AND you do 'have to give to get'. Toss in Swihart and a couple of ML relievers and we've got the start of a deal.

Something like that would be manageable for the Sox because they'd be taking on salary without giving up pieces vital to the future and manageable for the M's because they'd be getting young, talented players to build around.

The important thing to remember is that the Sox don't NEED Stanton to win their division. They're doing that without him. He's more of a "want" than a "need". If the two teams can't put together a trade that benefits both teams then we walk away.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    I could see giving up something built around Benintendi, a couple of good prospects, and some other pieces...but definitely not "whatever they want." If that's not enough to do it, then too bad.

Again, I think some people are really overestimating what it should take. He's having an incredible season, but this is not pre-arb Mike Trout we're talking about here.

Legend
    Miami asks for Devers, Benni, and Chavis you make that Trade? I don't see them wanting Bogey or Bradley. Just because of years of control, and Agent.
    You make this Trade you kill the Sox for years, for 1 player. No 3rd baseman, in a couple of years only Outfielder you will have is Stanton.
    It will cost more than just Stanton's Contract in the long run. You will need to sign FA's galore.(What's in the Farm for Outfielders and 3rd baseman)?
    Pitching wins championships. Stay on track. Kids are fine here.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-02-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Stanton is going nowhere. Jeter is taking over and I don't think he will want his major assets sold off from a team that is close to contention

Here is your Roster and Minor League prospect problem. #1. Your 40 man Roster payroll flexibility has been strangled by the terrible signings of Sandoval Ramirez and DPrice. You could argue Porcello's contract as well. #2. What Prospects left in the system get a conversation started unless your going to put a player like Betts on the table?

Perfect example is Verlander. Arguably the final piece for Boston to possibly win a Championship and or beat Cleveland plus Sale. No dice, Why? cus you burned yourself with past deals that have you paying luxury tax.

Same with trying to obtain Stanton at the moment. Your payroll and prospect strapped!
    Last edited by MADSTORK; 09-02-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MADSTORK View Post
    Here is your Roster and Minor League prospect problem. #1. Your 40 man Roster payroll flexibility has been strangled by the terrible signings of Sandoval Ramirez and DPrice. You could argue Porcello's contract as well. #2. What Prospects left in the system get a conversation started unless your going to put a player like Betts on the table?

Perfect example is Verlander. Arguably the final piece for Boston to possibly win a Championship and or beat Cleveland plus Sale. No dice, Why? cus you burned yourself with past deals that have you paying luxury tax.
    You're right about the bad deals - but Verlander could turn out to be more of the same. There's a chance you get burned with any big salary you take on. It always seems like a good idea at the time.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MADSTORK View Post

Same with trying to obtain Stanton at the moment. Your payroll and prospect strapped!
    We are better off keeping our young talent and avoiding the mistakes of the past in putting so much into one player in a long term contract. No argument that the guy is good, its that we need some balance on the team and by signing him the balance that we are working towards is lost again. I'm not against looking at trading players that don't fit our long term plans but would rather look at good quality younger players we can get without breaking the bank.

Frankly, I don't get people's willingness to part with Beni (plus others and lots of money) to get Stanton. Yes, Stanton is currently the better player, but Beni is a darn good player in his own right, not to mention that he is younger and cost controlled. I think people have been awestruck by Stanton's homeruns this year. And when I say 'people', I mean 'dudes'. Chicks do not dig the long ball.