Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton - U- B-Sox-GM

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Ya'll are are pretty fun at parties and bbq's i bet. /s/
    I would be a riot at parties and bbqs, if I ever went to them.

Screenshot_20170823-122322.jpg

I asked Dave Cameron about the ridiculous original trade in the thread. I even threw in the best two Red Sox prospects. Response was predictable.

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/dave-ca...chat-2448.html
    Last edited by BstHcpr; 08-23-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I would be a riot at parties and bbqs, if I ever went to them.
    Ha! I can just see it now. I ask you what beer you wanted while I'm reaching in the cooler and you're reply is something like "any random beer would be fine, thanks".

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    Screenshot_20170823-122322.jpg

I asked Dave Cameron about the ridiculous original trade in the thread. I even threw in the best two Red Sox prospects. Response was predictable.

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/dave-ca...chat-2448.html
    If the Marlins trade Stanton, they aren't going to take on another team's junk--Price, Hanley, and Castillo--even if you sweeten the pot with prospects like Groome and Chavis.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Ha! I can just see it now. I ask you what beer you wanted while I'm reaching in the cooler and you're reply is something like "any random beer would be fine, thanks".
    LOL Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    If the Marlins trade Stanton, they aren't going to take on another team's junk--Price, Hanley, and Castillo--even if you sweeten the pot with prospects like Groome and Chavis.
    Absolutely not. It would make no sense for them to take those 'junk' players.

Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    Now that Stanton has passed through waivers, he is eligible to be traded. And IMO, he would look absolutely great in a Sox uniform.

But acquiring him would necessitate dealing with the remaining $295M over next 10 years.

So the question becomes what would the Sox be willing to give up and what would the Marlins be willing to accept.

How about Price, Hanley, Rusney Castillo, and maybe a couple of throw-ins from PawSox?
    If Pablo was still here we could throw him as well. The Marlins are looking to dump salary in any Stanton trade. They would want young and controllable players in return. I'm sure Devers and Benny would be the start of what they want in any trade. As much as Stanton's bat would look great in the Sox lineup you can't take on that much $$$$$$$$$ and still give up your best young players.

If the LT implications weren't a concern here's what I'd start with: Benintendi, Bogaerts, and Swihart. They're young, cost controlled, & talented. And replaceable. I'd even throw in Kelly & any RP not named Kimbrel who's currently on our 25 man roster. And I'd be willing to talk after that.

However, nothing offsets that huge LT implication unless we could toss David Price into the deal but Price's salary makes him not someone the M's would be interested in.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

I'm still a little unclear why the Marlins would be heavily motivated to trade him. He's their franchise right now. He's a young megastar. If you can't keep that kind of player maybe you should just move the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm still a little unclear why the Marlins would be heavily motivated to trade him. He's their franchise right now. He's a young megastar. If you can't keep that kind of player maybe you should just move the franchise.
    Right, why would you trade your marquee player? Fans will absolutely go nuts. If I'm their fan, I would only be okay with

Sale
    E Rod
    Devers
    Betts
    Groome
    Flores
    Benintendi

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Right, why would you trade your marquee player? Fans will absolutely go nuts. If I'm their fan, I would only be okay with

Sale
    E Rod
    Devers
    Betts
    Groome
    Flores
    Benintendi
    I agree, which makes any trade impossible for the M's to make. They have a highly paid player whom they'd like to unload but can't. It's somewhat like the situation the Sox may be in with David Price, but the reasons for the player being untradeable are different.

Stanton's being untradeable for any reasonable package because of his perceived value means that if the M's want to get rid of him they'll eventually have to lower their asking price, just as the Sox may have to eat a lot of Price's contract if they want to get rid of him.

You can sell anything if the price is low enough.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

I realize Stanton is to be paid $25-32M every year until 2027 and then has a $10M buyout on another $25M option, but the luxury tax hit is just $25M.

For a stud like Stanton, $25M is cheap.

The M's do NOT need to pay salary or take on salary to trade GS.

HE IS NOT A SALARY DUMP PLAYER!

He's worth every penny and then some. Somebody will pay it.

The issue is "paying it" PLUS giving up several top prospects. One or the other is fine, but both is almost always a no-no.

The Sale trade was great, because Sale is making way less than market value.

Stanton has an opt-out after 2020. If you're thinking in terms of a ticking clock for the Marlins that might be it. But that's 3 more seasons. I don't think trading him now makes any sense at all for them.

Stanton has an opt-out after 2020. If you're thinking in terms of a ticking clock for the Marlins that might be it. But that's 3 more seasons. I don't think trading him now makes any sense at all for them.
    Who do the Yankees have that would be a match in a trade for Stanton?

If some team is bound to snag him, there are only a handful who can pay the tariff.

The Yankees would do this in a blink of an eye.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I wouldn't either, but when you're losing, not drawing fans and one player is set to make a quarter to a third of your entire payroll budget in the coming years, I can see why the thought is there.