Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/16 vs Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I think the walk off against Indians has to be #1. The fact Christian Vazquez of all people hit the walk off bomb, makes it all the more crazy.

But I agree. this is #3.

That walk off against the Yankees where they made all the errors in the 9th was pretty crazy too.
    Yeah, that had to have been as improbable as the Devers HR.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    Betts is broken, huh SpudBoy?
    He sure has looked that way for quite a while has he not BstHcpr? For the record I never said he was broken. I pointed out his new found knack of striking out and bailing on low and away pitches. I said these things long before the media or the big time brains of this board did, as I recall.

It's nice to see him come up big tonight but we have seen far much less of his contributions fueling scoring this season. If you have not noticed that I don't know how to advise you.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Betts hasn't been as good as last year, but he's still by far our best position player. His defense and base running alone make him elite. In a down season he's still a 5 WAR player.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    No runs or RBIs from Nunez or Devers, and yet we pull one out.

Good to see others starting to come up big.

Shut down pen.

Bogey seemingly snapping out of it.

Betts finally looking like Betts.

Keep it up!
    Gee. Don't tell me that you had noticed his disappointing offensive performance too?

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    He sure has looked that way for quite a while has he not BstHcpr? For the record I never said he was broken. I pointed out his new found knack of striking out and bailing on low and away pitches. I said these things long before the media or the big time brains of this board did, as I recall.

It's nice to see him come up big tonight but we have seen far much less of his contributions fueling scoring this season. If you have not noticed that I don't know how to advise you.
    And a bunch of popups too.

I still think it's just a slump (hopefully was), and he's going to have a hot streak like Benintendi is having. He's too good to hit as poorly as he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Betts hasn't been as good as last year, but he's still by far our best position player. His defense and base running alone make him elite. In a down season he's still a 5 WAR player.
    I said nothing to discredit his overall value and you know it.

Can you sit there and tell me that while he has played well that his production at the plate has not been a disappointment?

I love the kid's game but ignoring a down trend in his batting is idiotic and serves no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    And a bunch of popups too.

I still think it's just a slump (hopefully was), and he's going to have a hot streak like Benintendi is having. He's too good to hit as poorly as he was.
    So you concede that my observations are valid? That's nice, I guess.

I do think that it is a slump and that he will find his way back, hopefully soon.

But it is clear he has changed his approach and has lost a lot of command of the strike zone.

That should worry any serious an knowledgeable fan.

So you concede that my observations are valid? That's nice, I guess.

I do think that it is a slump and that he will find his way back, hopefully soon.

But it is clear he has changed his approach and has lost a lot of command of the strike zone.

That should worry any serious an knowledgeable fan.
    Yeah, I just didn't agree with Station13 calling him broken.

Hopefully, that vintage AB in the 9th gives him some confidence this weekend.

Gee. Don't tell me that you had noticed his disappointing offensive performance too?
    No. He's looked awful of late. I even researched his K rate of over 20 the last 10-12 games, which is about double his norm.

I was hoping the big hit was a sign of life, and he did end up with 3 tonight.

I was not an immediate projecting a turn around. I didn't mean to imply he was showing he's turned it around, but I can see how it looks like that's what I meant.

Players lots of time hit a coldness streak. Happened to Beautista earlier as well and he has caught fire lately. Better to get it out of their system now and get it going come playoff time. Never been worried about Betts. Sometimes one good game to get their confidence back is all it takes.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Xander and Mookie are in a really bad way right now.

Can't. Hit.
    Bogaerts may have had a HR today, and it was awesome, but he's basically been an automatic out since the beginning of July. He's been struggling, and this one HR does not change that. I hope he gets his swing back, but right now today is the aberration based on the last two months of his play.

He had 13 hits in July, and 21Ks. Only three of his hits went for extra bases. That's not the usual Bogaerts.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Players lots of time hit a coldness streak. Happened to Beautista earlier as well and he has caught fire lately. Better to get it out of their system now and get it going come playoff time. Never been worried about Betts. Sometimes one good game to get their confidence back is all it takes.
    Beautista?

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Also, I know this doesn't mean anything, but I thought it was a fun tidbit: Bogaerts hit his first career HR against the Yankees in 2013, but that was it for the season. When he started his first full season the next year, his first two HRs of that season were against...Chris Sale and Rick Porcello.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Batting Lead-off for 2/3 of the season didn't help the game come to him, he's had to force things to try and make stuff happen and set the tone. He's a better hitter when he can lay-off pitches that aren't strikes and leading off takes away some of his game plan. Also, pitchers have adjusted and he rarely gets anything inside anymore. It seems like the outside of the plate is his strike zone now and the umpires haven't helped much either with borderline bs calls forcing him to swing at pitches I've never seen him try to swing at. He hasn't lead-off for over a week plus now so I can see him improving. The one good thing out of all of this is that Mookie does really well the more he faces a pitcher and racking up the most plate appearances should help him over the course of the season and these last 40 games or so.... and the play-offs (hopefully).

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I don't think he was blocking the plate on the play. I could be wrong. He seemed infront of the plate and JBJ tried to slide around the tag, that had no ball in the glove.
    I saw a new angle of the play and agree.