Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 team celebration at Fenway

1967 team celebration at Fenway

Could someone list the 17 players from the 1967 team that were in attendance at last nights ceremony?

1. Yaz
    2. Reggie Smith
    3. Mike Andrews
    4. Hawk Harrelson
    5. Rico Petrocelli
    6. Jim Lonborg

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    Could someone list the 17 players from the 1967 team that were in attendance at last nights ceremony?

1. Yaz
    2. Reggie Smith
    3. Mike Andrews
    4. Hawk Harrelson
    5. Rico Petrocelli
    6. Jim Lonborg
    add - lee "the stinger" Stange, Jose santiago, Jerry Moses

1. Yaz
    2. Reggie Smith
    3. Mike Andrews
    4. Hawk Harrelson
    5. Rico Petrocelli
    6. Jim Lonborg
    7. Mike Ryan
    8. Jim Landis
    9. George Thomas
    10. Bucky Brandon
    11. Hank Fischer
    12. Gary Waslewski
    13. Dave Morehead
    14. Lee Stange
    15. Jose Santiago
    16. Jerry Moses (* Did not play in 1967)

Still missing one. Did my best with pictures I found.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Trivia I am not sure of ... is Red Sox-Cardinals the most frequently played World Series matchup that does not involve the Yankees? They've met 4 times since 1918

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Trivia I am not sure of ... is Red Sox-Cardinals the most frequently played World Series matchup that does not involve the Yankees? They've met 4 times since 1918
    Giants and A's have met 4 times as well.

Hey thanks CP for your response. Another poster added that Jerry Moses didn't play for the 67 Sox. That of course does not invalidate him from being there. Did you catch a glimpse of him or see a picture of him at the ceremony?

Hey MVP, thanks for your help, outstanding effort! Perhaps, one of the forum's other members will yet remember noticing the missing #17 who was in attendance.

I wonder if the Sox had a group picture taken of the guys who were in attendance?

Deity
    Hey thanks CP for your response. Another poster added that Jerry Moses didn't play for the 67 Sox. That of course does not invalidate him from being there. Did you catch a glimpse of him or see a picture of him at the ceremony?
    Just did my look back from memory. Prior to Mike Ryan and the acquisition of an older Elston Howard (who we all were very happy to get). I remember Tillman and Nixon very well. I did go back over the 67 roster and Moses did not appear. i could have sworn that he made at least a cameo appearance that year. I wonder if George Thomas was there?

Hey MVP, thanks for your help, outstanding effort! Perhaps, one of the forum's other members will yet remember noticing the missing #17 who was in attendance.

I wonder if the Sox had a group picture taken of the guys who were in attendance?
    http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/...5883_th_45.jpg

I'm too young to help out with names if I don't have the back of the jersey. Take a look.

AL Most Valuable Player Carl Yastrzemski will take part in the ceremony along with Cy Young Award winner Jim Lonborg.

Other notable players scheduled to attend are Mike Andrews, Gary Bell, Bucky Brandon, Ken Harrelson, Dave Morehead, Rico Petrocelli, Billy Rohr, Mike Ryan, Jose Santiago, Reggie Smith, Lee Stange, George Thomas, and Gary Waslewski.

This only lists 15 guys, but lists Rohr and Bell who I didn't catch. Maybe the 17 were the 15 I mentioned with Bell and Rohr with Moses not counting? IDK.

Globe story doesn't list Fischer or Landis who were definitely there per photographic evidence.
    Last edited by mvp 78; 08-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Just did my look back from memory. Prior to Mike Ryan and the acquisition of an older Elston Howard (who we all were very happy to get). I remember Tillman and Nixon very well. I did go back over the 67 roster and Moses did not appear. i could have sworn that he made at least a cameo appearance that year. I wonder if George Thomas was there?
    Kind of interesting that you'd remember Russ Nixon, as he was one of my favorites. However, Russ was a former Indians catcher when the Sox acquired him in 1960. And he played for the Sox through 1965 after which he played for the Twins in 66 & 67. He then spent his final year with the Sox in 1968 before retiring.

But you might find it interesting that in 1967, Dick Williams did the unheard of by carrying 4 catchers on the roster, Tillman, Ryan, Howard, and rookie Russ Gibson who was an all-around athlete from Durfee High in Fall River.

I particularly remember Russ, because I attended Attleboro H.S. and we played Durfee in the Bristol County League. Russ was a 3-sport-star at Durfee High and a constant thorn in the side of AHS's whenever we competed with Durfee regardless of the sport. Playing forward, he led Durfee's basketball team to the 1956 New England Championship.

Interestingly enough, as a 27-year-old rookie in 1967, he made his major league debut with the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium on April 14, catching fellow rookie Billy Rohr, who started against Whitey Ford and the New York Yankees. Rohr was one strike away from a no-hitter when Elston Howard who would later in the season join the Sox, looped a two-out, ninth inning single to right-center field. Gibson also contributed to Rohr's 3–0, one-hit shutout, going 2–for–4 and scoring a run.

Later in the season, on June 12 he hit a two-run home run at Fenway Park to defeat the Yankees 3–1. This home run was his first major league home run and it was hit off of Joe Verbanic.

And to top it off, he caught the first game of that year's World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

And finally, before the 1970 season he was sold by Boston to the Giants, playing for them until 1972. On June 23, 1968, Russ went 4 for 4 against the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park in Chicago. All four hits were off two of the greatest knuckle ball pitchers of all time, 3 of them against Wilbur Wood and one against Hoyt Wilhelm.

Kind of interesting that you'd remember Russ Nixon, as he was one of my favorites. However, Russ was a former Indians catcher when the Sox acquired him in 1960. And he played for the Sox through 1965 after which he played for the Twins in 66 & 67. He then spent his final year with the Sox in 1968 before retiring.

But you might find it interesting that in 1967, Dick Williams did the unheard of by carrying 4 catchers on the roster, Tillman, Ryan, Howard, and rookie Russ Gibson who was an all-around athlete from Durfee High in Fall River.

I particularly remember Russ, because I attended Attleboro H.S. and we played Durfee in the Bristol County League. Russ was a 3-sport-star at Durfee High and a constant thorn in the side of AHS's whenever we competed with Durfee regardless of the sport. Playing forward, he led Durfee's basketball team to the 1956 New England Championship.

Interestingly enough, as a 27-year-old rookie in 1967, he made his major league debut with the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium on April 14, catching fellow rookie Billy Rohr, who started against Whitey Ford and the New York Yankees. Rohr was one strike away from a no-hitter when Elston Howard who would later in the season join the Sox, looped a two-out, ninth inning single to right-center field. Gibson also contributed to Rohr's 3–0, one-hit shutout, going 2–for–4 and scoring a run.

Later in the season, on June 12 he hit a two-run home run at Fenway Park to defeat the Yankees 3–1. This home run was his first major league home run and it was hit off of Joe Verbanic.

And to top it off, he caught the first game of that year's World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

And finally, before the 1970 season he was sold by Boston to the Giants, playing for them until 1972. On June 23, 1968, Russ went 4 for 4 against the Chicago White Sox at Comiskey Park in Chicago. All four hits were off two of the greatest knuckle ball pitchers of all time, 3 of them against Wilbur Wood and one against Hoyt Wilhelm.

So you are a Blue Bombardier!

I live in the Land of NA.

We have Red Rocketeers here.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity

I remember that game by Rohr like it was just yesterday. What I mostly remember was the catch by Yaz to keep the no hitter alive. i was a big Reggie Smith fan too back in the day. i really enjoyed listening to him last night. I actually remember seeing him play a little second base. What I hope everybody heard were the words said about Yaz. His legend was forever cemented during that 67 season. Like Reggie said - he carried that team. Interestingly enough, he talked about how comfortable everyone else was with having Yaz in the lineup and how positively that affected everyone.

Yaz was the best.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."