Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rotation discussion

All-Star
    Red Sox lefty Eduardo Rodriguez has undergone a significant knee surgery, per a team announcement. Specifically, he had a patellofemoral ligament reconstruction performed on his right knee.

It is expected that Rodriguez will not be able to resume pitching for around six months. That would put him on course to be ready by mid-April of next year, though of course he’ll need some time to work into full game condition. Accordingly, it seems clear he won’t be available for the club for some time early in the 2018 campaign.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...e-surgery.html

Add at least one more starter to the offseason to-do list.
    Last edited by Jack Flap; 10-17-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Looks like Dombrowski was misquoted. What he must have said was that he wasn't aware of any Red Sox players who weren't having offseason surgery.

We all knew this was coming. I predicted this back in June. This is a MAJOR surgery, akin to what Dustin Fowler had done, although the wound is surgical rather than traumatic. Expect nothing from ERod next season. If he comes back and wins a spot, then that’s gravy

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Looks like Dombrowski was misquoted. What he must have said was that he wasn't aware of any Red Sox players who weren't having offseason surgery.
    Lol. Hahahahaha!!! Good one.

I saw the press conference live. Not sure of his exact words but he did indicate that he was not aware of any Sox players that would be having surgery.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We all knew this was coming. I predicted this back in June. This is a MAJOR surgery, akin to what Dustin Fowler had done, although the wound is surgical rather than traumatic. Expect nothing from ERod next season. If he comes back and wins a spot, then that’s gravy
    Yes we were talking about this many months ago.

You affirmed that a sublexation (sp) would make more sublexations more likely and that surgery was in the offing.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Expect nothing from ERod next season.
    Way ahead of you there, tbh.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Would anyone take half of Porcello's contract for 2018 and 2019? Moon?
    The Sox would in a heartbeat
    I think some people (not you) think GMs only look at last year's numbers to determine value. While last season does pull a lot of weight, there are many other factors involved.

I bet we could find a taker who would pay $14-15M. I doubt we look for a taker.

Opening Day?

1. Sale (ACE+)
    2. Price (hard to hope for 32 starts and a strong post season)
    3. Pomeranz (keep the fingers crossed)
    4. Porcello
    5. Wright
    6. Velazquez, Johnson, Beeks
    (ERod at some point?)

Maybe we sign Cobb or Lynn.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Lol. Hahahahaha!!! Good one.

I saw the press conference live. Not sure of his exact words but he did indicate that he was not aware of any Sox players that would be having surgery.
    Note, nothing so far on Pedey and nothing on Nunez. Both probably will be slated for surgery. Hanley, by my reading, may require additional surgery now the first phase has allowed the good doctor to see the shoulder condition.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Opening Day?

1. Sale (ACE+)
    2. Price (hard to hope for 32 starts and a strong post season)
    3. Pomeranz (keep the fingers crossed)
    4. Porcello
    5. Wright
    6. Velazquez, Johnson, Beeks
    (ERod at some point?)

Maybe we sign Cobb or Lynn.

Ohtani!!!!

Desperate dave needs to sign him. He is the real deal and the perfect fit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Ohtani!!!!

Desperate dave needs to sign him. He is the real deal and the perfect fit for us.
    or he's Dice-K v.2.0
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

The Sox would in a heartbeat
    I think some people (not you) think GMs only look at last year's numbers to determine value. While last season does pull a lot of weight, there are many other factors involved.

I bet we could find a taker who would pay $14-15M. I doubt we look for a taker.
    we wouldn't get back equal value in talent if they're picking up so much of the freight. Unless you believe offloading Porcello is addition by subtraction. At this point, now that ERod's out for some time, I'd be careful to not offload any starters unless it's part of a deal for a better starter, which is unlikely.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

I'm not for trading Porcello.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Note, nothing so far on Pedey and nothing on Nunez. Both probably will be slated for surgery. Hanley, by my reading, may require additional surgery now the first phase has allowed the good doctor to see the shoulder condition.
    I read somewhere Pedey will not have surgery. His issue cannot be corrected any further by more surgery.

Nunez is a FA, so it's not really our problem, unless we choose to make it so.

I read somewhere Pedey will not have surgery. His issue cannot be corrected any further by more surgery.

Nunez is a FA, so it's not really our problem, unless we choose to make it so.

What injury could he have that can't be cured by surgery?