Register now to remove this ad

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 94957585960 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to the Playoffs - 2017 Edition

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    And you alone get to decide which buttons were right? What a crock. The boo birds refuse to recognize that this team under Farrell has now won the Division two years in a row for the first time since 1916 despite weak hitting and a rotation near collapse. Instead you second guess every conceivable situation and decision because when the team loses it must have been the managers fault. This was the unremitting drumbeat when Francona, then called Francoma, was here. Heck, moonslav insists the team has no fire because the manager has no fire. I mean we are talking looney tunes stuff.

The team wins two divisions in a row, he stays. Plus he has better information and a whole lot more experience than all us Yahoos on Talksox. Seriously--its that simple.
    My man.

The armchair coaches in here, always think they know best.

2 divisions in a row, in which Farrell has played no small part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Farrell is as much a part of the reason we won as he is part of the reason we lost. Since we won far more than we lost, he must have done a good job.
    Oversimplification.

You're assuming we were a .500 team on paper and JF helped us win more than we lost.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Oversimplification.

You're assuming we were a .500 team on paper and JF helped us win more than we lost.
    I know it's oversimplification, and I said that mostly tongue in cheek. I just think if we're going to blame Farrell for losses, then he should get some credit for the wins.

That said, my opinion has always been that the job that a manager does off the field is more important than his in game decisions. This team has been scrutinized a lot this season. First, the Pedroia/Machado incident. Then the Price/Eck incident. There was an argument caught on tape between Farrell and Pom. There was a lot of distraction with what to do with Pablo and his contract. The leadership on this team was questioned repeatedly, not just here but in the media. So was whether the team had the 'fire' or the make up of a championship team.

Through all of that, Farrell and the team somehow held it all together and came out on top of the division. Farrell has to get some credit for that.

I know it's oversimplification, and I said that mostly tongue in cheek. I just think if we're going to blame Farrell for losses, then he should get some credit for the wins.

That said, my opinion has always been that the job that a manager does off the field is more important than his in game decisions. This team has been scrutinized a lot this season. First, the Pedroia/Machado incident. Then the Price/Eck incident. There was an argument caught on tape between Farrell and Pom. There was a lot of distraction with what to do with Pablo and his contract. The leadership on this team was questioned repeatedly, not just here but in the media. So was whether the team had the 'fire' or the make up of a championship team.

Through all of that, Farrell and the team somehow held it all together and came out on top of the division. Farrell has to get some credit for that.
    I respect your opinion, but disagree.

Now is not the time to discuss all this.

Let's be optimistic, like we both have been all year, and wish for the best.

You are right of course. All that other stuff is soap opera material. The game is played on the field and Farrell and the Sox competed and won the division. I still don't like his aggressive base running philosophy but even that did not seem to have any significant negative impact. They played winning ball for Farrell and that's the bottom line. And they really seemed to have fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Now is not the time to discuss all this.

Ha. I thought I was reading a GOP press release!

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Lolololololol
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Hahahahahaha!1!!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend
    At this point in the Play-offs we have more hits than the Indians, Nationals, Cubs, but we scored 4 runs. HRS? Or hitting with RISP?
    Its not hitting with RISP, its power that is the difference.

Dudes dig the long ball!

Dudes dig the long ball!
    That's the truth. Unfortunately, it does look like major league baseball became somewhat homer-centric this year.

Legend
    RISP I know its only 2 games but were hitting .308
    2 Outs and RISP were hitting .286
    These are respectable numbers (I know its only 2 games) but only team in Play-offs without a HR.

Legend
    Mr. Bellhorn is right. Game is different now. Every analyst has been saying this, all of them Former Major Leaguers.I think they know a little more.

Legend
    Ron Darling said it best, as soon as a Runner gets on, forget everything and swing for the fences.
    Good Managers are letting them do this, so they must like this new Philosophy.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 10-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Everyone digs long balls.

The first thing you usually see when you tune into a nightly highlight show is clips of players going yard.

You don't often see clips of players taking a walk or grounding out to second base.

Why?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."