Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Countdown to the Playoffs - 2017 Edition

Magic Numbers:

Division - 32
    Wild Card - 28
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Only 4 of our remaining 35 games are against a legitimate contender- our last 4 games vs HOU.

19 Home

16 Away

We're only 4 games away from the best record on the AL and two games ahead of last year's pace.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Only 4 of our remaining 35 games are against a legitimate contender- our last 4 games vs HOU.

19 Home

16 Away

We're only 4 games away from the best record on the AL and two games ahead of last year's pace.
    Whoops. It's now August 26, the Sox have looked awful for three straight games, the Yankees are just 3.5 back, and the Indians, at home against KC, can get it down to .5 games with a win tonight.

Yea, verily, it is written that momentum boils down to your next starter, and right now our rotation seems to be disintegrating. Our last three starters were Sale, Porcello, and ERod (who gave up 5 runs in 6.2 innings vastly outpitched both Sale and Porcello). Next up, Fister.

Like you, I'm counting, but right now the countdown is a downer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Whoops. It's now August 26, the Sox have looked awful for three straight games, the Yankees are just 3.5 back, and the Indians, at home against KC, can get it down to .5 games with a win tonight.

Yea, verily, it is written that momentum boils down to your next starter, and right now our rotation seems to be disintegrating. Our last three starters were Sale, Porcello, and ERod (who gave up 5 runs in 6.2 innings vastly outpitched both Sale and Porcello). Next up, Fister.

Like you, I'm counting, but right now the countdown is a downer.
    I realize that it's going to happen from time to time, but the 2 games against the Os shows us how important it is that we win the games that Sale starts. It really hurts us when we lose a game that we are 'expected' to win.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, we are still in very good shape, despite losing 3 in a row!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As far as the playoffs are concerned, we are still in very good shape, despite losing 3 in a row!
    That's why doing so well vs our nearest contenders mattered so much.

Deity
    That's why doing so well vs our nearest contenders mattered so much.
    To date the Sox are 7-8 vs. the Yankees. We are 2-1 vs. Cleveland at home and 2-2 at Cleveland. I'm not seeing "so well vs. our nearest contenders."

Deity
    I realize that it's going to happen from time to time, but the 2 games against the Os shows us how important it is that we win the games that Sale starts. It really hurts us when we lose a game that we are 'expected' to win.
    Earlier in the year I would have agreed about Sale because he lost at least 2 when he pitched great. But he did not pitch well at all in his last 2 losses.

To date the Sox are 7-8 vs. the Yankees. We are 2-1 vs. Cleveland at home and 2-2 at Cleveland. I'm not seeing "so well vs. our nearest contenders."
    I meant in the 16-4 stretch before these 3 losses.

Since July 31st, we've went...

4-3 vs CLE
    4-2 vs NYY
    2-0 vs TBR

We padded our lead, and it helped allow us to have a 3 game losing streak and still be okay.

Deity
    Earlier in the year I would have agreed about Sale because he lost at least 2 when he pitched great. But he did not pitch well at all in his last 2 losses. It also worries me that he continues to lead MLB in innings pitched and batters faced. To his credit he is 4th in total pitches thrown.

The Indiand end with 6 at home vs MN and CWS, but their road is not easy before that:

7 vs DET (4A/3H)
    5 vs KCR
    4 @ CWS
    3 @ NYY
    3 @ LAA
    3 @ SEA
    3 vs BAL

They play more vs contenders than we do.

We face the Yanks once more and end with the Astros in BOS.

I didn't realize the O's are just 2 out of the WC.

WOW!

Earlier in the year I would have agreed about Sale because he lost at least 2 when he pitched great. But he did not pitch well at all in his last 2 losses.
    Yes, it's even worse losing Sale's starts when he pitches great.

The Indiand end with 6 at home vs MN and CWS, but their road is not easy before that:

7 vs DET (4A/3H)
    5 vs KCR
    4 @ CWS
    3 @ NYY
    3 @ LAA
    3 @ SEA
    3 vs BAL

They play more vs contenders than we do.

We face the Yanks once more and end with the Astros in BOS.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Indians and the Yankees play each other next. Win-win for us. That's provided that we win our games, of course.

If I'm not mistaken, the Indians and the Yankees play each other next. Win-win for us. That's provided that we win our games, of course.
    Yes, at least one of our strongest contenders must lose.