Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 219

Thread: Returning Pedey!

  1. #1

    Returning Pedey!

    I have some concern regarding the news that Pedroia is ready and returning for the 4-game series beginning tonight in the Bronx. And I do so hope that he is good-to-go!

    Albeit, Pedey has been a stalwart mainstay in the Sox lineup for as long as I can remember, and a team leader, but he is none-the-less coming off a serious injury and bound to be a bit rusty. Is it reasonable to think that his at-bat timing will be back? I'd feel a bit more comfortable if he were to have a couple of rehab starts with the PawSox or SeaDogs.

    Coupled with the fact that Nunez has been very steady at 2B and a spark at the plate. To disrupt his routine at this point may well be counterproductive.

    There's been talk of rotating him in the lineup; alternately substituting him for Bogaerts, Devers, Pedroia on a night-to-night basis, thus giving days-off to players and keeping them fresh for the stretch run in September.

    There may be some merit to this strategy, but I'm inclined to think that keeping the status quo and a set lineup, that is presently winning ball games, is a more prudent approach.

    I further believe that ballplayers are creatures of habit and juggling lineups early in the season may be beneficial in coming up with the best lineup, but at this stage of the season, coming to the ballpark each day, players respond better when the lineup is set and they know where they stand.

  2. #2
    Nunez can also DH and play LF.

    Beni has struggled vs LHPs and could probably use a break.

    vs LHPs:
    Nunez can play LF (as Beni or JBJ sit), 3B or DH (HRam or Moreland play 1B)

    vs RHPs:
    Nunez can play 2B, SS or LF (as Betts gets some rest)

    He can basically sub for any player except our catchers. All-in-all, he should get to play 90% of the games, if that's what we want to do.



  3. #3
    They went 19-9 without him in the lineup. They don't need him!
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They went 19-9 without him in the lineup. They don't need him!
    The mark of a good team. Lose one of your best players and don't miss a beat.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nunez can also DH and play LF.

    Beni has struggled vs LHPs and could probably use a break.

    vs LHPs:
    Nunez can play LF (as Beni or JBJ sit), 3B or DH (HRam or Moreland play 1B)

    vs RHPs:
    Nunez can play 2B, SS or LF (as Betts gets some rest)

    He can basically sub for any player except our catchers. All-in-all, he should get to play 90% of the games, if that's what we want to do.


    Watching Nunez tonight, I want him nowhere near the outfield.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Watching Nunez tonight, I want him nowhere near the outfield.
    I don't want him anywhere near short either. Bring up Lin to play there or Marrero. With Bogaerts totally lost at the plate, what do we lose by subbing for him?

    We do have a problem coming up when Pedey gets back in that there will be no where for Nunez to play other than PH. Hanley is back to making hard and sometimes loud contact and Moreland should also play as he has had a hot bat.

    When JBJ gets back Saturday, Young and Davis will not likely see much action either, nor will Holt. Beni showed he can hit a tough lefty tonight so I wouldn't go with the lefty/righty thing either.

  7. #7
    I think its time to think about sitting Boegarts so Nunez can play every night.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Watching Nunez tonight, I want him nowhere near the outfield.
    Less balls hit there.

  9. #9
    Pedey catches that pop up that Nunez let's fall last night. Sox need his all around game back in the lineup.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Pedey catches that pop up that Nunez let's fall last night. Sox need his all around game back in the lineup.
    The question is, is Pedey Pedey?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The question is, is Pedey Pedey?
    That's a very good question. We're not going to learn the answer to it until he plays.
    Any owners who sign previously suspended PED abusers to a big $$ contract are as guilty of perpetuating the PED problem as are the players.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The question is, is Pedey Pedey?
    Not yet. He's not going to play everyday for a while.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nunez can also DH and play LF.

    Beni has struggled vs LHPs and could probably use a break.

    vs LHPs:
    Nunez can play LF (as Beni or JBJ sit), 3B or DH (HRam or Moreland play 1B)

    vs RHPs:
    Nunez can play 2B, SS or LF (as Betts gets some rest)

    He can basically sub for any player except our catchers. All-in-all, he should get to play 90% of the games, if that's what we want to do.


    Nunez is a good bat, but anywhere he plays will exact a defensive price as he has repeatedly demonstrated. I think holt is better at every position, and he sure ain't no great defender. But Holt's bat right now makes him 2d to Nunez at any position.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 09-01-2017 at 11:08 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Not yet. He's not going to play everyday for a while.
    He's not even going to play complete games right now.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Nunez is a good bat, but anywhere he plays will exact a defensive price as he has repeatedly demonstrated. I think holt is better at every position, and he sure ain't no great defender. But Holt's bat right now makes him 2d to Nunez at any position.
    He is not a good defender, but IMO, Bogaerts desperately needs to sit for a few games. The defensive difference between Nunez and Bogaerts should not be that great, but the offensive upgrade should be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •