Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Returning Pedey!

Hybrid View

Returning Pedey!

I have some concern regarding the news that Pedroia is ready and returning for the 4-game series beginning tonight in the Bronx. And I do so hope that he is good-to-go!

Albeit, Pedey has been a stalwart mainstay in the Sox lineup for as long as I can remember, and a team leader, but he is none-the-less coming off a serious injury and bound to be a bit rusty. Is it reasonable to think that his at-bat timing will be back? I'd feel a bit more comfortable if he were to have a couple of rehab starts with the PawSox or SeaDogs.

Coupled with the fact that Nunez has been very steady at 2B and a spark at the plate. To disrupt his routine at this point may well be counterproductive.

There's been talk of rotating him in the lineup; alternately substituting him for Bogaerts, Devers, Pedroia on a night-to-night basis, thus giving days-off to players and keeping them fresh for the stretch run in September.

There may be some merit to this strategy, but I'm inclined to think that keeping the status quo and a set lineup, that is presently winning ball games, is a more prudent approach.

I further believe that ballplayers are creatures of habit and juggling lineups early in the season may be beneficial in coming up with the best lineup, but at this stage of the season, coming to the ballpark each day, players respond better when the lineup is set and they know where they stand.

Nunez can also DH and play LF.

Beni has struggled vs LHPs and could probably use a break.

vs LHPs:
    Nunez can play LF (as Beni or JBJ sit), 3B or DH (HRam or Moreland play 1B)

vs RHPs:
    Nunez can play 2B, SS or LF (as Betts gets some rest)

He can basically sub for any player except our catchers. All-in-all, he should get to play 90% of the games, if that's what we want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

vs LHPs:

vs RHPs:

He can basically sub for any player except our catchers. All-in-all, he should get to play 90% of the games, if that's what we want to do.

Watching Nunez tonight, I want him nowhere near the outfield.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    I don't want him anywhere near short either. Bring up Lin to play there or Marrero. With Bogaerts totally lost at the plate, what do we lose by subbing for him?

We do have a problem coming up when Pedey gets back in that there will be no where for Nunez to play other than PH. Hanley is back to making hard and sometimes loud contact and Moreland should also play as he has had a hot bat.

When JBJ gets back Saturday, Young and Davis will not likely see much action either, nor will Holt. Beni showed he can hit a tough lefty tonight so I wouldn't go with the lefty/righty thing either.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Less balls hit there.

Deity

vs LHPs:

vs RHPs:

Nunez is a good bat, but anywhere he plays will exact a defensive price as he has repeatedly demonstrated. I think holt is better at every position, and he sure ain't no great defender. But Holt's bat right now makes him 2d to Nunez at any position.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 09-01-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Nunez is a good bat, but anywhere he plays will exact a defensive price as he has repeatedly demonstrated. I think holt is better at every position, and he sure ain't no great defender. But Holt's bat right now makes him 2d to Nunez at any position.
    He is not a good defender, but IMO, Bogaerts desperately needs to sit for a few games. The defensive difference between Nunez and Bogaerts should not be that great, but the offensive upgrade should be.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    He is not a good defender, but IMO, Bogaerts desperately needs to sit for a few games. The defensive difference between Nunez and Bogaerts should not be that great, but the offensive upgrade should be.
    Pedey had a very good night defensively and while he is bound to be rusty at the plate he held his own, got a hit and fouled off a few against Chapman. Nice to see him back.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Pedey had a very good night defensively and while he is bound to be rusty at the plate he held his own, got a hit and fouled off a few against Chapman. Nice to see him back.
    Very nice to see Pedroia back. He made his presence defensively known right away. It will be good to get Jackie back today. There is nothing I like better than a well pitched, well defended game.

Exactly.

We need a well rested Bogey for the playoffs.. . this coming from a guy who obsesses over premium SS defense.

Exactly.

We need a well rested Bogey for the playoffs.. . this coming from a guy who obsesses over premium SS defense.

I'd find it difficult to say "Bogey" and "premium SS defense" in the same sentence.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Exactly.

I am with you on the defense at shortstop, but I am having such a hard time watching Bogaerts at the plate right now. He needs some time off.

Deity
    Nunez aggravated his knee and was removed from the Sox post-season roster. His career with the Red Sox is likely over...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Nunez aggravated his knee and was removed from the Sox post-season roster. His career with the Red Sox is likely over...
    Yeah if his knee is junk for 2018 I don't see the Sox making a push to sign him.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yeah, that could be the end of Nunez with the Red Sox. I have no idea what the extent of the injury is and whether resting it over the offseason will heal the injury. I would think, however, that if he is healthy, he will be cheaper to re-sign, at least.