Sale vs Andriese
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Bruh...dem doggies gonna get FAT.
    Royale w/ cheese x 4
    WIN.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    I think that Yankee loss was big last night. Farrell could (and I would put Sale on a Pitch Count), maybe 80, then out. With an Off-day Monday, he could work the BP.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I think that Yankee loss was big last night. Farrell could (and I would put Sale on a Pitch Count), maybe 80, then out. With an Off-day Monday, he could work the BP.
    Meh. You just might be right Farrell could consider that. Sale has struggled in Septembers. But I seriously doubt Sale would stand for it. Way too much of a competitor to allow pampering even for the best of reasons. That said, I'm sure he would not object to Farrell keeping him in his spot in the rotation after an off day, which then give him that very helpful extra day's rest and, over the season, maybe 1 or 2 fewer starts. What happened a couple times (or more) was Farrell moving him up in the rotation after the rest day to keep him on 5 days rest and no more.

Using Sale a lot or too much is also driven by the rest of the rotation. Fister has really helped in thaT regard just as much as Porcello (love that new word Porcellos) has not. Pom has improved overall since that game (June 11??) when he complained publicly that Farrell shoulda left him in. ERod looked really good in his last start precisely because he was ready from the get go, mixing his pitches, hitting his spots, not overusing his fastball, etc.

Even the hitting is a factor. Early in the season Sale was needed not only because he was our true ace, but also because the hitting was so bad sometimes he needed to get a shutout to keep the game winnable. Remember those early starts when he pitched great and lost?

Legend
    If it was me I'd skip a start. E-Rod inconsistency and doesn't go deep into games. 1 good Start for E-Rod not enough to judge for me. HR hitting team like Tampa good to evaluate Sale, if he's getting tired. When you have a tired arm, Sliders stay flat, and very hittable.
    Maybe good idea, to pitch Sale, maybe I'm making too much of it, good game after he just allowed 3 HRS to Yanks.

I am hoping that Sale carves up this team like a Thanksgiving Turkey.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Not sure if I'll be watching this one, but who knows. Win. Dance. Repeat. x4
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Really hope Sale has a good day today. The guy has been so odd for that he better part of the last month and a half. Hope he gets his shit together.

Deity
    If it was me I'd skip a start. E-Rod inconsistency and doesn't go deep into games. 1 good Start for E-Rod not enough to judge for me. HR hitting team like Tampa good to evaluate Sale, if he's getting tired. When you have a tired arm, Sliders stay flat, and very hittable.
    Maybe good idea, to pitch Sale, maybe I'm making too much of it, good game after he just allowed 3 HRS to Yanks.
    Could be right. I cited one lousy game only because of how it happened--he started out great which he rarely, if ever, does. He loves blasting away that fast ball in the first inning, and if it works OK the 2d as well. He seems to eschew smart pitching. Besides, I'm desperate for something good to say about ERod. To me he has pretty good stuff, but only only from the neck down. He is the polar opposite of Fister.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am hoping that Sale carves up this team like a Thanksgiving Turkey.
    As do we all, especially when we know he can do it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Could be right. I cited one lousy game only because of how it happened--he started out great which he rarely, if ever, does. He loves blasting away that fast ball in the first inning, and if it works OK the 2d as well. He seems to eschew smart pitching. Besides, I'm desperate for something good to say about ERod. To me he has pretty good stuff, but only only from the neck down. He is the polar opposite of Fister.
    In fairness to ERod, I have to admit control/command of his pitches, especially the breaking balls and keeping the ball low in the zone (but not all the time) might be the real problem. In that respect, he is not alone. Porcello can't do that, neither can Pom. Heck, there are times when I think Sale can't do it.

All-Star
    Me too. Then 80 piches the start after that. This huy is the key to the entire Playoffs!

Deity
    Bosoxmal, I sure hope he isn't. Important, no question. But we got got killed by the Indians last year because of three lousy starters, not one. They were ones with the deep rotation, remember? This year they are just as deep and can probably withstand an early win by Sale. What's more, they have hit Sale awfully well this year and before this year.

Our 2013 WS win was mostly about our great pitching, but even then Lackey was as important as Lester. Lackey was the guy who held the Tigers scoreless against the Tigers and Verlander, who gave up just 1 run. Plus the bullpen was fantastic. Don't forget that in 2013 we still had Papi in his prime which meant good hitting and leading the AL in runs scored. In the postseason we got some very timely hitting, some clutch hitting, but not a whole lot of hitting.

Sale can't fix our hitting, and he can't be the totality of our rotation. In fact, it may be in his case that less is more, that Farrell should not want to make him the iron man.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 09-09-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Deity
    1 Nunez SS
    2 Pedroia 2b
    3 Benintendi LF
    4 Betts RF
    5 Moreland 1b
    6 Ramirez DH
    7 Devers 3B
    8 Leon C
    9 Bradley CF

Against righty Andriese, 5 lefty bats, mostly because Sale likes Leon behind the plate. 3d game with Nunez in for Bogaerts at SS. This time with Pedroia at 2b, Devers at 3b, and HanRam at DH--I mention those three because Nunez could play/hit in place of any of them.

Devers and JBJ remain in the bottom of the lineup, but it seems to work. Leon too of course--and all three have lefty bats.

Don't let us down Sale!

That goes ditto for our offense.

WIN!!!