Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 end of season Yankee prospect update

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    [B]All this with a team that's currently sitting on a 97-98 pythagorean W-L record!
    You sure about that?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Nice work jack, very thorough

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    You sure about that?
    Baseball Reference has them at 96-60.

I was close . (I meant to say 97-98 wins.)

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    This is a very impressive top 10, the ones I really like of this list are:

2. Florial - I believe he will be a top 20 prospect before the end of 2018
    9. Perez - For me, he will be in a few the top 100 lists sometime during the next year

Dark horse: Dillon Tate
    Stud: Gleyber Torres

The rest of them are really good prospects, most of them should taste the majors during 2018. and have good ML careers

The one I have a bad feeling about is Clint Frazier, hope I'm wrong, but he might flame out big time next year
    The one I have a bad feeling about is Tate and I think we should move him if we have the opportunity. I love the stuff, but BA’s criticism rings true. He doesn’t miss enough bats for someone with his stuff. This year was a progression for him, maybe next season he starts racking up the K’s, but for someone with lights out stuff who is finally locating, I’m surprised he doesn’t fan more. I really like Frazier, but I can see the concern. I don’t think he becomes a 35 HR masher, but I think his patience will eventually carry over and we can see an Aaron Rowland type player with a touch more power.

The one I like in this list is

17. Taylor Widener - Don't know a lot about him, but I have a good feeling about him, I'm calling it, he will be a 2018 version of Chance Adams

The rest of them are either far away or a very high risk prospects, but you never know. I will keep an eye on Dermis Garcia and Nolan Martinez
    Widener is looking like Adams 2.0. Finding a reliever who maintains his stuff when stretched out to start is rare. We found it a few times. This kid is ready to pop

From here is really hard to project but:

23. Billy McKinney - Late boomer, he will be good, but chances are he will end up as trade bait
    26. Trevor Stephan - Could be a fast riser, he is what I call finding gold in the later rounds of the draft
    McKinney is interesting. He had prospect hype, lost it, then found it again. I think when he was drafted, the ceiling was starting COF with power. I don’t think that’s changed much aside from his ceiling dropping to lower tier COF. He’s well rounded, which is always good. I like Stephan more and more. He came out of college really a one pitch pitcher with that nasty fastball with run, but he really made strides with his secondary stuff. I’m intrigued to see where they start him

One other thing about McKinney. I expect the Yankees to do what they did with Gamel with him. He needs to be on the 40 man. I think he gets added and dealt for lower level guys with potential.
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 09-26-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    McKinney is interesting. He had prospect hype, lost it, then found it again. I think when he was drafted, the ceiling was starting COF with power. I don’t think that’s changed much aside from his ceiling dropping to lower tier COF. He’s well rounded, which is always good. I like Stephan more and more. He came out of college really a one pitch pitcher with that nasty fastball with run, but he really made strides with his secondary stuff. I’m intrigued to see where they start him

One other thing about McKinney. I expect the Yankees to do what they did with Gamel with him. He needs to be on the 40 man. I think he gets added and dealt for lower level guys with potential.
    I think McKinney is Aaron Hicks 2.0, all the talent in the world, but it will take sometime to translate into on game performance

In this list are three prospects I really like:

30. Deivi Garcia - Part of the international pool of prospects have a lot of scouts talking about him
    31. Glenn Otto - Another fast raiser from this year class, we'll hear good things from him in 2018
    34. Jonathan Loaisiga - This is one of the special ones, I believe he just recovered from TJ and if he stays healthy he can reach his high ceiling
    Garcia just turned 18 and has a deep arsenal with good velocity. He is probably adding velocity to his frame. I love Otto. He’s a starter who was abused in a relief role at Rice. His stuff is top notch. I also love Loaisiga, but I anticipate he might be traded. IIRC, he is Rule V eligible and might need to be on the 40 man

Garcia just turned 18 and has a deep arsenal with good velocity. He is probably adding velocity to his frame. I love Otto. He’s a starter who was abused in a relief role at Rice. His stuff is top notch. I also love Loaisiga, but I anticipate he might be traded. IIRC, he is Rule V eligible and might need to be on the 40 man
    I heard somewhere that they will add Loaisiga to the 40 man roster

I hope so. The Yankees rehabbed him and he is starting to show who he is. No point in doing so if you’re just letting him walk

Btw, my ranking of Loaisiga might be way too low. I floated a ? On another site and was ridiculed for his 30s ranking. So be it

Btw, my ranking of Loaisiga might be way too low. I floated a ? On another site and was ridiculed for his 30s ranking. So be it
    Imagine how loaded is our system if you have to slot a guy like him in the 30's, he could be a top 10 prospect in several systems

BA is rolling out their top 20's for each league.

AAA has two leagues, the IL and the PCL.
    Top 20 IL prospects
    #9 Chance Adams
    #15 Miguel Andujar
    #16 Clint Frazier

BA did say that the IL is stacked this year compared to the PCL, but still strange to think there are 15 better prospects in the IL than Frazier, but I digress. Adams had a hell of a season, but did start off in AA and he tired as he reached his innings cap. Andujar burst onto the scene and his combo of contact and power is impressive. He is young, but his warts are his lack of walks. Frazier spent half the season in the bigs, but he has a ways to go before he hits his ceiling. Either way, for a team with such young big league talent and having dealt away what we did to have 3 top 16 guys in the IL is impressive to say the least

AA
    There are three leagues in AA, the Eastern League, the Texas League and the Southern League
    Top 20 EL
    #10 Miguel Andujar
    #11 Justus Sheffield
    #12 Domingo Acevedo

Strange to see three in a row, but Andujar really shouldn't be classified here as hes already in the rankings in AAA. Sheffield had a very solid AA season as did Acevedo.

A+
    3 leagues in High A, the Carolina League, the California League and the Florida State League
    #7 Dillon Tate
    #14 Nick Solak

Tate re-established his prospect status and Solak bashed his way out of the FSL by seasons end

A
    Two leagues in the A division, the South Atlantic and the Midwest
    #2 Estevan Florial

In the comments section, they did say Freicer Perez just missed the top 20.

A Short Season
    There are two leagues in the Short Season section, the NY Penn League and the Northwest League
    Top 20 NYP
    #2 Jorge Guzman
    #9 Trevor Stephan
    #14 Juan De Paula
    #16 Oswaldo Cabrera

They haven't done rookie ball yet, but the talent here is undeniable for sure
    Hal sucks

Good update Jack

The only one which surprise me is Oswaldo Cabrera, I was not expecting to have him this high, but I'll take it

Legend
    Yankees are light years ahead of the Sox in the Minors for Pitching. Their Double AA team and A teams were rated the best in young arms.
    I've seen Acevedo, he's going to be something. Hear his ball pop throughout the park. Maybe not this year, but he'll be in NY in 2019.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 10-05-2017 at 05:06 AM.