Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 end of season Yankee prospect update

2017 end of season Yankee prospect update

With the quick rebuild and the progression of Judge, Severino, Sanchez, Montgomery, and Green on the big stage and the deals of Mateo, Kaprielian, Littel, Polo, Fowler, Rutherford, and Clarkin, our top prospects have changed pretty dramatically. But that being said, we had quite possibly the best minor league season I have seen in years. And that is with us losing our top prospect halfway through the season. Either way, here is a nice little update

1. Gleyber Torres, SS- He turns 21 in December and even with his youth and the fact that he had TJS in mid June, he is still far and away our top prospect. He reached AAA at 20 and slashed a ridiculous .287/.383/.480 at both levels. He stole bases, hit homers, made good contact, walked a ton, played good defense, everything. With the recovery from TJS likely done by the time he laces them up for ST, he will be on the short list of callups during the season and should start the year where he left off, in AAA. He will likely be pressuring Headley on the big stage and would be available for Castro or Didi should they get injured. This kid is a superstar in the making.

2. Estevan Florial, CF- He was #14 on pinstripes plus before the season, but after making the BA all minors second team and making the futures game, the prospect hype is rising. He slashed .298/.372/.479 through A and A+ as a 19 year old. He hit 13HRs, 43 EBH's, stole 23 bases, walked a ton and played stellar D. His only bugaboo is his contact rate, which isn't great considering he K'd 148 times in 110 games. He should be on a similar career path to Torres and should start 2018 in AA.

3. Chance Adams, RHP- Chance turned 23 this season and hit AAA, which doesn't sound entirely impressive. When you consider he was drafted in 2015, that makes it far more interesting. Chance hit his innings cap at 150IP and should be able to handle a major league workload. His walk rate predictably rose as he progressed, but 3.58/9IP isn't too bad. His K rate was good at 8/9IP. What was really impressive was his ability to induce out. He had a .193BAA and a decent HR rate. He throws 4 pitches, all of which he can locate well enough and all of which grade out as big league average or plus. He can cut and run his FB and tops out in the mid 90s. He's got the stuff and the capability to be a top of the rotation starter and will likely be in the mix for the #5 spot in the rotation out of ST

4. Clint Frazier, COF- Most people think Frazier is an old prospect because he has been around the prospect radar so long (drafted in 2013). But he just turned 23 4 days ago. Clint showed in the minors that he can be a source of power and speed, capable of hitting 20+HR and stealing 20 bags a season. He showed good plate discipline in the minors as well, averaging a walk every 2 games. He even showed well in his callup to the majors, where he had 15 extra base hits in 28 games. He will need to take his plate discipline to the next level to be a regular. He likely ends up back in AAA next year with Judge, Hicks, and Gardner all under contract. But he will be on the short list to be called up should one of them go down. He has hand speed like I haven't seen before and he'd be quite a prospect to follow

5. Justus Sheffield, LHP- Justus turned 21 during the season and progressed well in his only taste of AA ball. He did miss time with a lower body injury and only accrued 98IP. He is going to the AFL to add more innings to the time he lost. Sheffield was steady in 2017. His ERA was 3.12 and his K rate was really strong (8.1/9IP). His BB rate was passable (3.1/9IP) but his BAA was nearly .260 and his HR rate was high (1.3/9IP). He is a lefty who throws hard (sits mid 90s) and offers two plus potential yet inconsistent offerings in a slider and change. He is still young and left handed and will definitely be groomed as a starter, yet his stuff could play up in the pen should he not progress beyond AA. He has ace ceiling, but more a floor of a mid rotation guy/high end reliever.

6. Domingo Acevedo, RHP- Nobody has a better fastball in this system aside from Chapman. Acevedo will hit and stay near 100 with some pitches topping out at 103mph. He is Betances' sized at 6'7" and has the heat to match. The interesting thing about him is that he has an advanced change up and an improving but still third breaking ball. He saw 3 levels this year and reached as high as AAA for a stint, but did the most work in AA. His season line was strong at 3.25ERA 133IP 1.20WHIP 9.6K/9IP and 2.3BB/9IP. He has impeccable command of the heater and the change, which is rare for someone so large. He turns 24 prior to the start of 2018 and should be in AAA and on the short list for a callup next season. He has ace type ceiling or could be a closer type arm if converted

7. Dillon Tate, RHP- we got Tate for Beltran, and at the time, it seemed like a reclamation project. Drafted 4th overall just a year prior, Tate had fallen on hard times in the Rangers system. He comes to the Yankee system, the Yankees put him in the pen for the last part of the year and like what they see. They make some mechanical adjustments and change his approach and voila, he is coming close to hitting his ceiling as a starter. In 83.1IP, he pitched to a 2.81ERA and a 1.14WHIP. His K rate wasn't spectacular, but he did limit walks and homeruns while really getting a ton of ground balls. He has a mid to high 90s heater with heavy sink with a plus potential breaking ball and change. He finished the year in AA and since he lost innings due to an injury at the beginning of the year, he will head to the AFL to add more to his workload

8. Miguel Andujar, 3B- what a season this 22 year old had. He slashed .315/.352/.498 between AA and AAA. His power progressed, as he slugged 16 homers. His walk rate did drop a bit, but for a power hitter, he makes an insane amount of contact. He will never walk a lot, but he only struck out 71 times in 125 games. He is very similar to Gregorius in that respect. He won't walk a lot, but he will put the ball in play. For a guy with his power potential, that is a good thing. He has the defensive ability to be a plus defender at the hot corner as well. He played well enough to earn a callup, albeit a brief one where he went 3 for 4. He will be pushing Torres for first prospect called up to the bigs in 2018.

9. Freicer Perez, RHP- Many on here may wonder why I have a 21 yr old from low A ball on here, but this guy is a monster. He is listed on milb.com as 6'8", but he is listed in other places as being up to 6'10". He is still skinny and hasn't grown into his body yet. One thing he has grown into is his fastball. When he was signed, he was low 90s, now he sits mid to high 90s and frequently reaches triple digits. He has very good command for someone so massive and has already shown a plus potential breaking ball and a workable change. He had a good statistical year in 2017 at 2.84ERA 1.14WHIP 8.6K/9IP 3.3BB/9IP. But he has the stuff and the talent to rocket through this system. They babied him for a bit this season, we shall see how far he can go once they take off the kid gloves

10. Nick Solak, 2B- Solak was the 2nd rounder for the Yankees in 2016 and since he was signed, he never stopped hitting. He rocketed through the system and finished the year in AA the year after he signed, which is an impressive feat for a 22 yr old non high 1st round prospect. He hits for average, for power and has patience. His triple slash line through A+ and AA was .297/.384/.452. He is a professional hitter who should be a good bet for double digit homers and steals on a yearly basis while playing good D, hitting for a high average, and walking a ton. His only problem in this system is that he is behind Castro and Torres for a spot and in the pecking order, being Thairo Estrada, as well, although I think Solak has more offensive potential than Estrada and hence a higher ceiling
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 09-10-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    Hal sucks

Where'd you get this list from? I haven't seen Solak in any top 10s to date.

It's my list, taking into account a few sites. Solak was a top 25 guy last year and I love his approach. He had a very impressive season. I could have gone with a number of other guys, but I like this kid
    Hal sucks

I love Florial, if he continues with his development he will be a top20 prospect in baseball by this time next year (probably earlier)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It's my list, taking into account a few sites. Solak was a top 25 guy last year and I love his approach. He had a very impressive season. I could have gone with a number of other guys, but I like this kid
    I like Solak too. I guess now that I think about it he's a fringe top 10 prospect at this point. I'd maybe have Guzman ahead of him, but that's personal preference. Hopefully Schmidt and Sauer pan out and make a jump up the list as well.

I think Abreu and Guzman are in my top 15. I just think Solak has been so consistent at higher levels that he edges the hard throwing lower level pitchers
    Hal sucks

Yankees had 6 players on the top 100 list even after the deals. They had Torres as the #1 prospect in baseball. Also on the list was Mateo, Fowler, and Rutherford. MLB didn't have Acevedo or Tate on their list, but did have Andujar. Otherwise, my top 5 is on there
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 09-20-2017 at 04:49 PM.

BTW, the lower levels of this system is absolutely dominated by high end velocity pitching. Impressive to say the least. I am seeing the write-ups come out now and the multitude of pitchers with high velo at young ages is insane
    Hal sucks

Jonathan Loaisiga is a pretty interesting prospect.

(He) features a potentially plus fastball-curveball combination with the ability to throw either pitch for strikes in any count. The fastball consistently hovers around 95 (t97) with late movement … expect him to start shooting up prospect lists.

He originally signed with the Giants out of Nicaragua back in 2013, but they released him a year later after some injury issues. The Yankees picked him up, he blew out his elbow and needed Tommy John surgery last year, and came back looking good this year. Loaisiga turns 23 in November, and he’s listed at 5-foot-11 and 165 lbs., plus he has an injury history, so there are some things working against him. Still, the Yankees picked him up off the scrap heap, and now he’s being written up as a breakout prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Jonathan Loaisiga is a pretty interesting prospect.

(He) features a potentially plus fastball-curveball combination with the ability to throw either pitch for strikes in any count. The fastball consistently hovers around 95 (t97) with late movement … expect him to start shooting up prospect lists.

He originally signed with the Giants out of Nicaragua back in 2013, but they released him a year later after some injury issues. The Yankees picked him up, he blew out his elbow and needed Tommy John surgery last year, and came back looking good this year. Loaisiga turns 23 in November, and he’s listed at 5-foot-11 and 165 lbs., plus he has an injury history, so there are some things working against him. Still, the Yankees picked him up off the scrap heap, and now he’s being written up as a breakout prospect.
    Never heard of him before, worth to keep an eye on him

Exciting the number of pitchers the Yankees have in the minors, specially the ones with high ceilings

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Yankees had 6 players on the top 100 list even after the deals. They had Torres as the #1 prospect in baseball. Also on the list was Mateo, Fowler, and Rutherford. MLB didn't have Acevedo or Tate on their list, but did have Andujar. Otherwise, my top 5 is on there
    How accurate are these lists, anyway? And we've seen plenty of blue chip Can't Misses who did.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Never heard of him before, worth to keep an eye on him

Exciting the number of pitchers the Yankees have in the minors, specially the ones with high ceilings
    The amount of kids in the lower levels with big arms is insane. Loaisiga will be a MiLB FA after the season, so I anticipate that we will add him to the 40 man to avoid that. He had TJS and his velocity increased. Plus, he can command his pitches well.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    How accurate are these lists, anyway? And we've seen plenty of blue chip Can't Misses who did.
    These lists are accurate for now, nobody can be certain what they are next year or after. And yes, blue chippers can miss, which is why you need to amass them. One of the pundits labeled the Yankee system as the best in the game and “it’s not close”. I believe them for the simple reason that we have 6 top 100 guys and something like 15 arms in the system not on that list who have top shelf talent. The pitching depth in this system just shot through the roof. I’ll provide the rest of my rankings with SR’s I’ve pulled from various sites when I’m not post call. When you see the 23 and under crowd who can hit 97 and have at least one plus secondary pitch, you’ll think I’m making it up. I promise you, I’m not. The signings that we’ve made plus the draft picks and the trades have been pure gold. Just a few for instances, when the Yankees traded Nova a year back, we got a struggling lefty starter named Stephen Tarpley. We convert him to relief and he’s throwing mid 90s cheddar and is dominating. We dealt James Pazos, who wasn’t going to make our pen, for Zach Littel who lit the world on fire and we turned him into Jaime Garcia. We dealt Ben Gamel to the Mariners for 2 19 yr old pitchers who made major progress this year in Orozco and De Paula, both who throw mid to High 90s. Cash is amassing arms and it’s incredible to see the scope

1. Gleyber Torres, SS- He turns 21 in December and even with his youth and the fact that he had TJS in mid June, he is still far and away our top prospect. He reached AAA at 20 and slashed a ridiculous .287/.383/.480 at both levels. He stole bases, hit homers, made good contact, walked a ton, played good defense, everything. With the recovery from TJS likely done by the time he laces them up for ST, he will be on the short list of callups during the season and should start the year where he left off, in AAA. He will likely be pressuring Headley on the big stage and would be available for Castro or Didi should they get injured. This kid is a superstar in the making.

2. Estevan Florial, CF- He was #14 on pinstripes plus before the season, but after making the BA all minors second team and making the futures game, the prospect hype is rising. He slashed .298/.372/.479 through A and A+ as a 19 year old. He hit 13HRs, 43 EBH's, stole 23 bases, walked a ton and played stellar D. His only bugaboo is his contact rate, which isn't great considering he K'd 148 times in 110 games. He should be on a similar career path to Torres and should start 2018 in AA.

3. Chance Adams, RHP- Chance turned 23 this season and hit AAA, which doesn't sound entirely impressive. When you consider he was drafted in 2015, that makes it far more interesting. Chance hit his innings cap at 150IP and should be able to handle a major league workload. His walk rate predictably rose as he progressed, but 3.58/9IP isn't too bad. His K rate was good at 8/9IP. What was really impressive was his ability to induce out. He had a .193BAA and a decent HR rate. He throws 4 pitches, all of which he can locate well enough and all of which grade out as big league average or plus. He can cut and run his FB and tops out in the mid 90s. He's got the stuff and the capability to be a top of the rotation starter and will likely be in the mix for the #5 spot in the rotation out of ST

4. Clint Frazier, COF- Most people think Frazier is an old prospect because he has been around the prospect radar so long (drafted in 2013). But he just turned 23 4 days ago. Clint showed in the minors that he can be a source of power and speed, capable of hitting 20+HR and stealing 20 bags a season. He showed good plate discipline in the minors as well, averaging a walk every 2 games. He even showed well in his callup to the majors, where he had 15 extra base hits in 28 games. He will need to take his plate discipline to the next level to be a regular. He likely ends up back in AAA next year with Judge, Hicks, and Gardner all under contract. But he will be on the short list to be called up should one of them go down. He has hand speed like I haven't seen before and he'd be quite a prospect to follow

5. Justus Sheffield, LHP- Justus turned 21 during the season and progressed well in his only taste of AA ball. He did miss time with a lower body injury and only accrued 98IP. He is going to the AFL to add more innings to the time he lost. Sheffield was steady in 2017. His ERA was 3.12 and his K rate was really strong (8.1/9IP). His BB rate was passable (3.1/9IP) but his BAA was nearly .260 and his HR rate was high (1.3/9IP). He is a lefty who throws hard (sits mid 90s) and offers two plus potential yet inconsistent offerings in a slider and change. He is still young and left handed and will definitely be groomed as a starter, yet his stuff could play up in the pen should he not progress beyond AA. He has ace ceiling, but more a floor of a mid rotation guy/high end reliever.

6. Domingo Acevedo, RHP- Nobody has a better fastball in this system aside from Chapman. Acevedo will hit and stay near 100 with some pitches topping out at 103mph. He is Betances' sized at 6'7" and has the heat to match. The interesting thing about him is that he has an advanced change up and an improving but still third breaking ball. He saw 3 levels this year and reached as high as AAA for a stint, but did the most work in AA. His season line was strong at 3.25ERA 133IP 1.20WHIP 9.6K/9IP and 2.3BB/9IP. He has impeccable command of the heater and the change, which is rare for someone so large. He turns 24 prior to the start of 2018 and should be in AAA and on the short list for a callup next season. He has ace type ceiling or could be a closer type arm if converted

7. Dillon Tate, RHP- we got Tate for Beltran, and at the time, it seemed like a reclamation project. Drafted 4th overall just a year prior, Tate had fallen on hard times in the Rangers system. He comes to the Yankee system, the Yankees put him in the pen for the last part of the year and like what they see. They make some mechanical adjustments and change his approach and voila, he is coming close to hitting his ceiling as a starter. In 83.1IP, he pitched to a 2.81ERA and a 1.14WHIP. His K rate wasn't spectacular, but he did limit walks and homeruns while really getting a ton of ground balls. He has a mid to high 90s heater with heavy sink with a plus potential breaking ball and change. He finished the year in AA and since he lost innings due to an injury at the beginning of the year, he will head to the AFL to add more to his workload

8. Miguel Andujar, 3B- what a season this 22 year old had. He slashed .315/.352/.498 between AA and AAA. His power progressed, as he slugged 16 homers. His walk rate did drop a bit, but for a power hitter, he makes an insane amount of contact. He will never walk a lot, but he only struck out 71 times in 125 games. He is very similar to Gregorius in that respect. He won't walk a lot, but he will put the ball in play. For a guy with his power potential, that is a good thing. He has the defensive ability to be a plus defender at the hot corner as well. He played well enough to earn a callup, albeit a brief one where he went 3 for 4. He will be pushing Torres for first prospect called up to the bigs in 2018.

9. Freicer Perez, RHP- Many on here may wonder why I have a 21 yr old from low A ball on here, but this guy is a monster. He is listed on milb.com as 6'8", but he is listed in other places as being up to 6'10". He is still skinny and hasn't grown into his body yet. One thing he has grown into is his fastball. When he was signed, he was low 90s, now he sits mid to high 90s and frequently reaches triple digits. He has very good command for someone so massive and has already shown a plus potential breaking ball and a workable change. He had a good statistical year in 2017 at 2.84ERA 1.14WHIP 8.6K/9IP 3.3BB/9IP. But he has the stuff and the talent to rocket through this system. They babied him for a bit this season, we shall see how far he can go once they take off the kid gloves

10. Nick Solak, 2B- Solak was the 2nd rounder for the Yankees in 2016 and since he was signed, he never stopped hitting. He rocketed through the system and finished the year in AA the year after he signed, which is an impressive feat for a 22 yr old non high 1st round prospect. He hits for average, for power and has patience. His triple slash line through A+ and AA was .297/.384/.452. He is a professional hitter who should be a good bet for double digit homers and steals on a yearly basis while playing good D, hitting for a high average, and walking a ton. His only problem in this system is that he is behind Castro and Torres for a spot and in the pecking order, being Thairo Estrada, as well, although I think Solak has more offensive potential than Estrada and hence a higher ceiling
    Hal sucks

11. Albert Abreu, RHP- Abreu turns 22 in 5 days, but he is anything but a kid. He was limited to 50+IP this year due to injury but did return healthy at seasons end. He throws a FB that tops out at 99 with a big time slider and a solid changeup. He is working on a power curve. He has ace potential as well as good command of his arsenal for someone so powerful and so young. If healthy, he will rocket through the system next season.

12. Tyler Wade, SS- Wade had a hell of a 2017 culminating in 55 big league at bats. This season, he dominated AAA with a .310/.382/.460 slash line with 26 steals while playing solid D up the middle. He is blocked in the system currently and might benefit from a trade. He's got power enough to hit a ton of doubles and probably hit double digit HRs. He has the speed and the smarts to steal a ton of bases as well. He could be a dynamic top of the order hitter

13. Jorge Guzman, RHP- Guzman came over in the McCann trade and was as advertised in terms of power. Routinely sitting 98-99 and regularly hitting triple digits, Guzman has power most teams dream of. He didn’t have the feel for his breaking stuff when he came over, so the focus was to develop the curve and change. His curve is a wipeout pitch now, reaching 90mph. His change has made strides but is a distant third. If the change develops, he is a top of the rotation type arm. If it doesnt, he could close without a doubt. Guzman showed impeccable command in his 67IP for the NYO with only 18 walks compared to his team leading 88 strikeouts. Guzman has a ceiling like few others

14. Thairo Estrada, SS- Estrada is a slick fielding middle infielder who quietly put up a very solid season in 2017. He hit over .300 with an OBP of .353. His power was late to the party, but could develop into the 10-15HR range max. He's an above average runner as well who should steal some bases as he gets better reading pitchers. He should be on the short list for AAA as a 22 yr old and could be an option for NYY by season's end. As with Tyler Wade, it appears Estrada is blocked by better prospects above him, so I anticipate he could be trade bait going forward, but he has a pretty reachable ceiling of being a starting SS and a floor of a utility man capable of hitting a bit, stealing bases and playing good D up the middle

15. Dermis Garcia, 3B- Dermis has now power. In 63 games, he hit 17HR as a 19 yr old. He also walked 38 times in 63 contests. He brought his BA up to .249, good enough to make his OPS near .900. He strikes out far too much, which drives down his BA, but to have his power at his age is rare. Should he take the next step offensively, he could be an absolute beast. He has 50HR potential, but if he doesnt make contact, it could never come to be.

16. Matt Sauer, RHP- 2nd rounder for NYY, who was really a fringe 1st round prospect with big money demands. With Schmidt getting TJS and a lower slot, the Yankees were able to get Sauer. Sauer is a big, strong 18 yr old RHP who throws absolute heat. He stands 6'5" now and is starting to fill in. He tops out in the high 90s, around 98mph. He has a wipeout slider when it's working which flashes plus. His change and curve need work. He has top of the rotation type ceiling and that will be tested, but with his stuff and apparent violent motion, his future could be in the back end of a pen someday

17. Taylor Widener, RHP- Taylor was a 12th round selection in 2016 and immediately jumped onto the scene as a sleeper for NYY. Taylor was another drafted reliever who is being stretched out. Capable of hitting 97mph, he can maintain mid to high 90s heat as a starter. He has a solid slider and a developing change that made some progress this year out of the rotation. He limited the HR ball, struck out 9.8 per 9IP and held opponents to a .206BA. One thing that did fall a bit was his command as a starter. He did walk 3.8/9IP and if he is to stay a starter, he will need to cut that down

18. Jake Cave, OF- No better time to have the season of your career than the season before hitting MiLB FA. Cave was a highly touted draftee when the Yankees took him out of HS in 2011. He was always a guy with all the tools but middling production. The Reds took him in the Rule V but he couldnt stick on the team. 2017 was his final chance before being relegated to minor league depth status and boy did he deliver. .305/.351/.542 slash with 20HR and good defensive chops enough to play at least an average CF. Cave has basically played his way onto the 40 man roster and will likely be in the battle for 5th OFer next season with Frazier and behind Ellsbury. Cave has never shown this type of power before, but if it continues, he could carve out a starting role in CF for a big league club

19. Clarke Schmidt, RHP- First round pick in 2017. Had TJS in May, so should have some play towards the middle of 2018. Was trending up into the top 10 picks when he blew out his elbow. Sits mid 90s with sinker and tops out around 97mph. Plus potential curve and slider, average change. If he comes back the way he went in, that'd be a bonus. If he adds velocity like some do, he could have a deadly arsenal which would put him into the top of the rotation ceiling category. He just started throwing again, but wont be ready for minor league games until June at the earliest

20. Nolan Martinez, RHP- 3rd round pick in 2016, Nolan has battled injuries in his first year and a half in the system. He can run it up there to 95 already as a 19 yr old and has a nasty slider as well. He did have the highest spin rate in the draft in 2016, which gives his heater late life. Lost development time due to a shoulder injury, but finished the year healthy. Likely to make the NYP this upcoming season. Has the stuff to be a mid rotation pitcher or if he ticks up further, a #2 starter or setup/closer type in the pen
    Hal sucks