Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Otani to be posted

  1. #16
    What's the most anyone can offer this guy under the current rules?

  2. #17
    After the Dice-K debacle, I want the Sox staying far away from "can't miss" Japanese superstars.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Fui sobre agua edificada, mis muros de fuego son

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    After the Dice-K debacle, I want the Sox staying far away from "can't miss" Japanese superstars.
    Is this guy his identical twin or something?

    Good thing we gave Papi and Manny a chance after Jose Offerman's flop.

  4. #19
    That was weak sauce for you Moon.

    Anyways, I'm kind of sick of the Sox chasing all the shiny brass rings from other countries.

    I have not seen a lot of value in those deals nor have I seen a big return for trading them with the exception of Sale.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    That was weak sauce for you Moon.

    Anyways, I'm kind of sick of the Sox chasing all the shiny brass rings from other countries.

    I have not seen a lot of value in those deals nor have I seen a big return for trading them with the exception of Sale.
    I thought linking all Japanese players to Dice-K's flop was tremendously weak. There have been plenty of Japanese success stories.

    We've had so many international signing successes, I don't know where to begin. Most have been from Latin America, especially the really good ones. We've also had some pretty good success with Asian player signings. I'm not sure we win in 2013 without Uehara. True, he was proven already, unlike fresh signings, but he and many others prove the gamble is not an impossible gamble.

    Remember, we signed Okajima the same year as Dice-K. He was a good signing- very good. The Tazawa signing a couple years later worked out well, too.

    Our Top Latin American Signings (many more were failures):
    HRam (brought us Beckett & Lowell)
    Doubront
    Bogaerts
    F Montas
    Margot (helped get Kimbrel)
    Moncada (helped get Sale)
    Castillo
    Devers


  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I thought linking all Japanese players to Dice-K's flop was tremendously weak. There have been plenty of Japanese success stories.

    We've had so many international signing successes, I don't know where to begin. Most have been from Latin America, especially the really good ones. We've also had some pretty good success with Asian player signings. I'm not sure we win in 2013 without Uehara. True, he was proven already, unlike fresh signings, but he and many others prove the gamble is not an impossible gamble.

    Remember, we signed Okajima the same year as Dice-K. He was a good signing- very good. The Tazawa signing a couple years later worked out well, too.

    Our Top Latin American Signings (many more were failures):
    HRam (brought us Beckett & Lowell)
    Doubront
    Bogaerts
    F Montas
    Margot (helped get Kimbrel)
    Moncada (helped get Sale)
    Castillo
    Devers

    I never said that the Sox never got anything good from Japan.

    Certainly Oki and Taz worked out well.

    I was referring to the big ticket guys.

    Also, I am of the belief that good talent remains in abundance in our own country.

    I don't see a need to be in on every so called lock from any country. It's one thing to be competitive, another to be irresponsible with gobs of money.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I never said that the Sox never got anything good from Japan.

    Certainly Oki and Taz worked out well.

    I was referring to the big ticket guys.

    Also, I am of the belief that good talent remains in abundance in our own country.

    I don't see a need to be in on every so called lock from any country. It's one thing to be competitive, another to be irresponsible with gobs of money.
    And let's not forget the who Japanese market that it opened for the Red Sox...not! Dice K's $102 million contract and acquisition cost was very big for the day and it was a big waste. It brought in no market or $ from japan.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I never said that the Sox never got anything good from Japan.

    Certainly Oki and Taz worked out well.

    I was referring to the big ticket guys.

    Also, I am of the belief that good talent remains in abundance in our own country.

    I don't see a need to be in on every so called lock from any country. It's one thing to be competitive, another to be irresponsible with gobs of money.
    I think the max bid is capped at $10,000,000. That's the price of a reliever in today's market. I would take a gamble at the price.

  9. #24
    He's one of the best hitters in Japan too. Lot of Power.

  10. #25
    The max bid is whatever is left in your INTL budget. Small market teams start with close to $6 mil. Big markets (here's looking at us) start at around $5 mil (I think $4.75 mil). You can trade for another sum (I think 75% above cap). I know NY has another $4-5 mil left in their budget as they have spent under $3 mil and obtained the max allotment in a series of deals this season.
    How many more years left in ARod's contract?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •