Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Otani to be posted

  1. #31
    Thinking same thing on Flores, he must have been pretty good. Bad Luck, and Sad, same time.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Did you feel the same about Darvish?
    I am reticent about chasing most of these unproven international big ticket stars.

    The only one I thought would really be good was Suzuki.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I am reticent about chasing most of these unproven international big ticket stars.

    The only one I thought would really be good was Suzuki.
    I liked Matsui and Abreu, too.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I am reticent about chasing most of these unproven international big ticket stars.

    The only one I thought would really be good was Suzuki.
    I think this is fair...you'll certainly avoid some busts this way, but will also miss out on some fine players.

    In Ohtani's case, it's just money (and not all that much of it in the big scheme of things, due to the changes in the system) and seems a worthwhile gamble to find out if he's really the elite talent many believe.

  5. #35
    Matsui was a damn good ballplayer, underrated. Knees did him in.

  6. #36
    Dice-K was 33-15 over his first two seasons (3.70 ERA) with a 5.5 WAR.

    He had the 17th best ERA- at 81 for those two years.

    He nibbled the corners too much and walked too many guys, but he was pretty good out of the gate.

    Man, did he suck afterwards.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Matsui was a damn good ballplayer, underrated. Knees did him in.
    Even with the bum knees, he still was over .788 in his first 8 seasons- leading the league in games played for his first 3 seasons.

    He had an OPS over .855 for 5 out of 6 years.

    He also had over 90 RBIs in 5 of his first 7 seasons with the only two falling short, being his injury years.

  8. #38
    The third degree burns from Dice-K still haven't healed. No to Otani.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Hate will fuel your rage, drugs will get you high, money buys respect, love will get you by.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Twins might be gunshy on Asian players after Park not panning out as hoped.
    Every team that has ventured in to the Asian marketts has had their share of players who didn't pan out. Passin on Otani because Park, who came from a different country altogether, did not pan out would be like passing on Bryce Harper because Matt Bush didn't pan out...

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I am reticent about chasing most of these unproven international big ticket stars.

    The only one I thought would really be good was Suzuki.
    Plenty of them have been successful. The failure rate among Japanese players is probably about the same as the failure rate of any other country...

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    The third degree burns from Dice-K still haven't healed. No to Otani.
    Uehara and Okajima didn't heal them?

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Uehara and Okajima didn't heal them?
    Uehara was amazing with us. He should have cured any ails all by himself.


  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Dice-K was 33-15 over his first two seasons (3.70 ERA) with a 5.5 WAR.

    He had the 17th best ERA- at 81 for those two years.

    He nibbled the corners too much and walked too many guys, but he was pretty good out of the gate.

    Man, did he suck afterwards.
    I don't think it's a coincidence that Dice-K's downfall began in a WBC year. In 2009 Dice-K won his second WBC MVP award, and there were stories about the Japanese team taking great liberties with how hard they worked him. That year he only pitched 59.1 innings and that was basically it for him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •