Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Otani to be posted

Otani to be posted

Shohei Otani, the white whale, the Japanese unicorn, the slugger who can throw 100mph with a sick slider, will be coming to the bigs this offseason. He will not wait two more years and get the big contract. He will be posted and be subject to the MLB signing rules. This will limit his earnings significantly. That being said, he will still require some money to sign. The Yankees are considered the favorites, although they cannot allocate the most money his way. NY has slowly and quietly acquired extra bonus money in deals. Thy dealt Yefry Ramirez and Matt Wotherspoon to BAL for money and they got $1.5 mil in bonus money in the Gray trade. They've spend around $3.5 mil on their INTL FA's this year and should be able to offer what will amount to their full pretrade slot (about $4.5 mil) to get him. MLB had said it will crack down on any attempts to bypass this rule, but the unioj would have a field day if the MLB tries to punish any signing team from "extending" Otani early in his career. It will be interesting for sure.

Masahiro Tanaka was quoted as saying Otani is a really good hitter, but he is a pitcher in the end. Either way, a DH that can be a front line starter is an interesting thing for sure. I'd love to see him in the Bronx
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Shohei Otani, the white whale, the Japanese unicorn, the slugger who can throw 100mph with a sick slider, will be coming to the bigs this offseason. He will not wait two more years and get the big contract. He will be posted and be subject to the MLB signing rules. This will limit his earnings significantly. That being said, he will still require some money to sign. The Yankees are considered the favorites, although they cannot allocate the most money his way. NY has slowly and quietly acquired extra bonus money in deals. Thy dealt Yefry Ramirez and Matt Wotherspoon to BAL for money and they got $1.5 mil in bonus money in the Gray trade. They've spend around $3.5 mil on their INTL FA's this year and should be able to offer what will amount to their full pretrade slot (about $4.5 mil) to get him. MLB had said it will crack down on any attempts to bypass this rule, but the unioj would have a field day if the MLB tries to punish any signing team from "extending" Otani early in his career. It will be interesting for sure.

Masahiro Tanaka was quoted as saying Otani is a really good hitter, but he is a pitcher in the end. Either way, a DH that can be a front line starter is an interesting thing for sure. I'd love to see him in the Bronx
    The Sox have been quietly acquiring extra bonus money as well. It could be a big showdown.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I bet the Padres or the Twins swoop in and get him at the last moment, just to really throw everyone for a loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

It might be. I don't think SD or MIN will be able to. The Yankees have effectively their entire slot to work with. Otani is said to love the spotlight.

Here's what I think happens. NYY signs Otani for $4 mil. After year 1, we sign him to a 7 year contract with 2 option years. MLB will be upset, but the players union will argue that NY is extending him and not circumventing the rules. Eventually, the Yankees are slapped with a minor INTL signing penalty for a season

his foray into MLB he may opt for an NL team since he enjoys swinging the bat.
    when he becomes a FA down the road he may look to the highest bidder regardless of league....
    other names i have posted under: none

His best chance to play everyday and pitch is the AL. He can DH 4 days a week and pitch the other. Nobody is going to let him play the field four games then pitch the fifth

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The Sox have been quietly acquiring extra bonus money as well. It could be a big showdown.
    This is true, but we've also spent about $7 million as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    His best chance to play everyday and pitch is the AL. He can DH 4 days a week and pitch the other. Nobody is going to let him play the field four games then pitch the fifth
    I don't see that happening. Plus his hitting won't be close here.

Scouts have compared his hitting profile to Christian Yellich. That's no slouch.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    This is true, but we've also spent about $7 million as well.
    What's important is what is left vs what the Yanks have left and who gives the best wink-wink-nod-nod promise of an extension.

His best bet to play every day is to be a position player in the N.L. or A.L. Whoever gets him is going to commit to him playing one side of the ball.

I'm not really sure we see a "wink wink, nod" I can see an understanding to have an early extension buying out some arbitration years but that type of collusion is illegal and the Sox have been caught enough lately.

I also doubt any "wink wink" contract would hold weight if he blows out his elbow in a year.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I don't see that happening. Plus his hitting won't be close here.
    We can all get a hit off Japanese pitching.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I bet the Padres or the Twins swoop in and get him at the last moment, just to really throw everyone for a loop.
    Twins might be gunshy on Asian players after Park not panning out as hoped.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I know the Yanks will be involved and I know they have a significant amount of money available
    Hal sucks

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Twins might be gunshy on Asian players after Park not panning out as hoped.
    I was kidding. I picked those two teams because they have little money compared to others and a very thin history of signing expensive, flashy free agents. Obviously it will be the Sox, Yanks, Dodgers, or someone along those lines. The Marlins or the A's or the Rays probably aren't getting in on this kind of thing. I'm pretty sure the Twins park only stays open because they're using solar panels to sell electricity back to the power company and the Padres are paying Wil Myers by returning all of the beer cans left on the ground to the grocery store after each game.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.