Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Otani to be posted

What's the most anyone can offer this guy under the current rules?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    After the Dice-K debacle, I want the Sox staying far away from "can't miss" Japanese superstars.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    After the Dice-K debacle, I want the Sox staying far away from "can't miss" Japanese superstars.
    Is this guy his identical twin or something?

Good thing we gave Papi and Manny a chance after Jose Offerman's flop.

That was weak sauce for you Moon.

Anyways, I'm kind of sick of the Sox chasing all the shiny brass rings from other countries.

I have not seen a lot of value in those deals nor have I seen a big return for trading them with the exception of Sale.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    That was weak sauce for you Moon.

Anyways, I'm kind of sick of the Sox chasing all the shiny brass rings from other countries.

I have not seen a lot of value in those deals nor have I seen a big return for trading them with the exception of Sale.
    I thought linking all Japanese players to Dice-K's flop was tremendously weak. There have been plenty of Japanese success stories.

We've had so many international signing successes, I don't know where to begin. Most have been from Latin America, especially the really good ones. We've also had some pretty good success with Asian player signings. I'm not sure we win in 2013 without Uehara. True, he was proven already, unlike fresh signings, but he and many others prove the gamble is not an impossible gamble.

Remember, we signed Okajima the same year as Dice-K. He was a good signing- very good. The Tazawa signing a couple years later worked out well, too.

Our Top Latin American Signings (many more were failures):
    HRam (brought us Beckett & Lowell)
    Doubront
    Bogaerts
    F Montas
    Margot (helped get Kimbrel)
    Moncada (helped get Sale)
    Castillo
    Devers

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I thought linking all Japanese players to Dice-K's flop was tremendously weak. There have been plenty of Japanese success stories.

We've had so many international signing successes, I don't know where to begin. Most have been from Latin America, especially the really good ones. We've also had some pretty good success with Asian player signings. I'm not sure we win in 2013 without Uehara. True, he was proven already, unlike fresh signings, but he and many others prove the gamble is not an impossible gamble.

Remember, we signed Okajima the same year as Dice-K. He was a good signing- very good. The Tazawa signing a couple years later worked out well, too.

Our Top Latin American Signings (many more were failures):
    HRam (brought us Beckett & Lowell)
    Doubront
    Bogaerts
    F Montas
    Margot (helped get Kimbrel)
    Moncada (helped get Sale)
    Castillo
    Devers

I never said that the Sox never got anything good from Japan.

Certainly Oki and Taz worked out well.

I was referring to the big ticket guys.

Also, I am of the belief that good talent remains in abundance in our own country.

I don't see a need to be in on every so called lock from any country. It's one thing to be competitive, another to be irresponsible with gobs of money.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Also, I am of the belief that good talent remains in abundance in our own country.

I don't see a need to be in on every so called lock from any country. It's one thing to be competitive, another to be irresponsible with gobs of money.
    And let's not forget the who Japanese market that it opened for the Red Sox...not! Dice K's $102 million contract and acquisition cost was very big for the day and it was a big waste. It brought in no market or $ from japan.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I think the max bid is capped at $10,000,000. That's the price of a reliever in today's market. I would take a gamble at the price.

Legend
    He's one of the best hitters in Japan too. Lot of Power.

The max bid is whatever is left in your INTL budget. Small market teams start with close to $6 mil. Big markets (here's looking at us) start at around $5 mil (I think $4.75 mil). You can trade for another sum (I think 75% above cap). I know NY has another $4-5 mil left in their budget as they have spent under $3 mil and obtained the max allotment in a series of deals this season.
    Hal sucks

Legend
    Just read the Sox have $462,000 remaining in their International Bonus Pool. No chance on this kid. It places the Sox 11th out of 30 teams.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Did you feel the same about Darvish?

Legend
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 11-10-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I think he just wants in now.

I can't blame him.

We tend to think it's all about money, and who knows how much he can make here with endorsements, but playing in the best baseball league in the world is every baseball player's dream.

That being said, just because he's turning down a lot of money by coming to the bigs now, doesn't mean he won't grab the best deal offered.

I doubt we get him.

I'm not trying to sound cold and heartless here, but we spent $3.1M on Flores. I wonder what better chance we'd have had for Otani, had we not signed Flores.

All-Star
    I've seen it asked in other places whether, in light of the awful news about Flores, the Red Sox could petition the league for some sort of hardship exemption regarding their international bonus limit. We spent $3.1 million on a kid who sadly will never play a game for the organization, and getting a credit back for all or part of that money could allow us at least a fighting chance at Otani. Not sure if there's any precedent for that sort of move (I'm guessing not), and I feel like a shitty person for even thinking about it...but the business side of things does go on even in the face of tragedy.