Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 9/15 @ Tampa Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I have a bad feeling about Longo...
    We blew a couple of great run scoring opportunities in the 11th and 12th, which I was afraid would come back to bite us. I kept thinking that the Rays, a good home run hitting team, are one swing away from a walk off. Thankfully, the pen did its job.

Great win!

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Wow, that was an outstanding bunt by Swihart
    It was good to see Swihart back on the field. It was even better to see someone on our team lay down a good sac bunt (which turned into a hit). He did a good job behind the plate too.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    I would love to know the stats for this team with the bases loaded or any runner at 3rd base with less than 2 outs. This team's fucking terrible in that spot
    With a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, we score the runner 50% of the time. League average is 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    OK. So thinking over this. Moreland has been playing ball since he was 8 at the least. Every person on this thread knows, when you commit to running, then the head goes down and you go balls to the wall as fast as you can and looking back only slows you down.

So what the fuck happened?

I don't want to harp on this stuff, but we've been talking about keeping a log. And this should be entered.
    Enter it. Boneheaded play that did not cost us a game.

Even if the Sox had lost, it would be a boneheaded play that did not cost us a game.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeBostonian View Post
    Workman is probably going to get killed in his sleep tonight.
    Workman has not had a good September, but he was very good in July and August.

No seriously..... he was dialed in tonight. Dominated......
    The pen, on the whole, did a very good job.

Kelly's 3 innings were huge.

Legend
    Rule of thumb never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. Reason why baseball people have been saying this probably for a 100 years. Your in scoring position. Simple, and if you do go you better be 100% sure you'll make it. The extra base is not as important as the out.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-16-2017 at 08:09 AM.

I'm not agreeing with you on this. He should know by now. I can't see blaming this on the coaching staff that has only coached this person the last 6 months......
    A professional baseball player should certainly know the basics of how to run the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What a game!

We must have left 99 runners on base tonight. Ran into outs. Calls overturned and confirmed against us. Hits stolen by Kiemeier. Just about everything seemed to go wrong, but we've scrapped our way beyond the setbacks.
    IMO, both teams showed a lot of heart in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    The guy who drafted JBJ and Betts....
    ! ! !

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Rule of thumb never make the 1st or 3rd out at 3rd base. Reason why baseball people have been saying this probably for a 100 years. Your in scoring position. Simple, and if you do go you better be 100% sure you'll make it. The extra base is not as important as the out.
    Then you would love Daniel Nava as your man on 2b with no one on 1b and no one out. He was listening to you and that sacred rule several years ago when the next batter actually hit a fly over the rightfielder's glove in Fenway and it got all the to the wall. Nava, meanwhile, no doubt terrified of that never ever make the 1st out at 3b rule, finally decided to slide into 2b because he was sure the ball would be caught. He never advanced to 3b. The hitter, appalled, did get back to 1b safely.

As for being in scoring position on 2b--again, we are assuming no one on 1b so the guy on 2d has a decision to make--why are most teams very happy when the hitter moves that guy to 3b on a groundout or fly ball, especially with no one out? Reason: there are huge advantages to having a man on 3b with one out vs. a man on 2b with one out.

So, me, I don't like those never ever rules nor the requirement that anything aggressive needs to have a 100% guarantee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    We blew a couple of great run scoring opportunities in the 11th and 12th, which I was afraid would come back to bite us. I kept thinking that the Rays, a good home run hitting team, are one swing away from a walk off. Thankfully, the pen did its job.

Great win!
    True on the 11th and 12th--very frustrating even though on one of those innings we actually hit a couple of balls hard that were caught.

Overall, Barnes and Workman notwithstanding, the bullpen was excellent. Sale did not have a quality start and did give up 2 dingers, but he went 6, giving up 4. The problem for us onlookers was that looked pretty fatal, especially when Barnes gave up the dinger and the Sox were down 3 and looking helpless at the plate. The 9th was under those circumstances stunning. Plus Bogie smacking a hard single to drive home the tying run. What?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Then you would love Daniel Nava as your man on 2b with no one on 1b and no one out. He was listening to you and that sacred rule several years ago when the next batter actually hit a fly over the rightfielder's glove in Fenway and it got all the to the wall. Nava, meanwhile, no doubt terrified of that never ever make the 1st out at 3b rule, finally decided to slide into 2b because he was sure the ball would be caught. He never advanced to 3b. The hitter, appalled, did get back to 1b safely.

As for being in scoring position on 2b--again, we are assuming no one on 1b so the guy on 2d has a decision to make--why are most teams very happy when the hitter moves that guy to 3b on a groundout or fly ball, especially with no one out? Reason: there are huge advantages to having a man on 3b with one out vs. a man on 2b with one out.

So, me, I don't like those never ever rules nor the requirement that anything aggressive needs to have a 100% guarantee.
    I guess you don't understand the explanation. You hit a ball, with no out, and go to third and get thrown out that's not smart baseball. Count the outs. Your at 2nd ground ball to 2nd baseman same thing. You don't take that chance. Going to 3rd is fine if your 100% sure with no outs, you get thrown out that's dumb. No Old School it's common sense. Triples are the hardest hit to get in baseball.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-16-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Legend
    Sean McAdam made a good point, Swihart had a good game for not playing for awhile. Those 7 innings caught, in a big game was encouraging. Especially his first Pitcher he caught was Kimbrel, who is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Sean McAdam made a good point, Swihart had a good game for not playing for awhile. Those 7 innings caught, in a big game was encouraging. Especially his first Pitcher he caught was Kimbrel, who is not easy.
    Yes! I mentioned in a previous post that I thought he did a good job behind the plate. Not only 7 innings caught, but he caught 6 different relievers, which is no small task.