Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 9/16 at Tamp Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    This is funny. Because I know for a fact, if he was caught I would have called it a boneheaded decision. I would have chalked it up as "Benni being Benni", as I almost think that is a thing now. And last night I almost posted something about that decision to run as being written down as a boneheaded decision.

If there ever was an example of the fine line between boneheaded and aggressive, that play was one of them.
    There is a very fine line between boneheaded and aggressive. As you mentioned, three people can watch the exact same play and come up with 3 different conclusions.

I think the general tendency is to think that a play is boneheaded if it doesn't work, and aggressive if it does work. It's the same thing with managerial decisions. If it doesn't work, it was a stupid decision. If it works, it was a good decision. It's human nature to judge things in hindsight.

It would be great if we could all give our opinions before the play happened and the outcome is known, but obviously, that's not possible.

ahahah....... I didn't know this...........

I wonder how that conversation went. hey Rick.......... you know that change up you throw............ well don't throw it anymore............. your changup is crap....
    LOL

Maybe that will be the key to having the 'good' Porcello for the remainder of the season?

To state the obvious, Porcello is going to be a lot more successful if that sinker is sinking. An additional 5" of drop is pretty significant.

I just don't understand what took Cobb so long to figure out what was going on. He must have been in his own world. He didn't even react at all until Benny was about 3/4 the way down the path. maybe even longer.
    Cobb was in the midst of an unraveling. He let that balk call, which he had not been called for this season, get to him.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Interesting stat on Rick, when the Sox score 3 or more runs for him he's 10-0 with a 3.69 era, and the team is a perfect 13-0, in those games.
    Porcello threw a gem yesterday, no doubt. In fact, he really hasn't been that horrible this year, certainly not bad enough to lose 17 games. As you pointed out his run support has been terrible. His ERA this year is 4.46, just .20 above his career number, and his ERA+ is 102, just above average for pitchers. If somehow he can find himself and be consistent he would be the link we really need to make a decent playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    LOL

Maybe that will be the key to having the 'good' Porcello for the remainder of the season?

To state the obvious, Porcello is going to be a lot more successful if that sinker is sinking. An additional 5" of drop is pretty significant.
    These guys aren't making it easy to pick a rotation for the playoffs.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Since Aug. 1, which is 9 starts, Sale's ERA is 4.25. There is just reason for concern with him.

I'm still picking him as my #1 guy, but I'm not feeling as confident about him as I was earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Porcello threw a gem yesterday, no doubt. In fact, he really hasn't been that horrible this year, certainly not bad enough to lose 17 games. As you pointed out his run support has been terrible. His ERA this year is 4.46, just .20 above his career number, and his ERA+ is 102, just above average for pitchers. If somehow he can find himself and be consistent he would be the link we really need to make a decent playoff run.
    One of the NESN guys said last night that in games that the Sox score 3 or more runs that Pocello's starts he is 10 and 0.

That is kind of shocking.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    There is a very fine line between boneheaded and aggressive. As you mentioned, three people can watch the exact same play and come up with 3 different conclusions.

I think the general tendency is to think that a play is boneheaded if it doesn't work, and aggressive if it does work. It's the same thing with managerial decisions. If it doesn't work, it was a stupid decision. If it works, it was a good decision. It's human nature to judge things in hindsight.

It would be great if we could all give our opinions before the play happened and the outcome is known, but obviously, that's not possible.
    If you have been on the sidelines as a coach, you should know the difference between boneheaded and aggressive. In general, you might be right but actually being in the contest might give someone a different perspective on what they are seeing. It is just my opinion understand and people get to choose what they see as boneheaded or aggressive. It would make no difference to me whether a player completed a play successfully or not. Boneheaded, as we tend to define it, just doesn't work. While I say this though, I will freely admit, that on occasion my teams were being aggressive in my way of looking at things, but fans and parents sometimes thought that i was a bonehead. I would never have argued with them about that. Go figure - most of the time you are never all right or all wrong.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    One of the NESN guys said last night that in games that the Sox score 3 or more runs that Pocello's starts he is 10 and 0.

That is kind of shocking.
    One of the posters on another forum suggested that Porcello should start game 2 (assuming we win the ALE) because his road performance (ERA: 3.43; OPSa: .770) is so much better than his home performance (ERA: 5.30; OPSa: .852).

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    These guys aren't making it easy to pick a rotation for the playoffs.
    The Sox never make anything easy. That's part of being a fan!
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.