Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 9/18 @ Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Farrell's fait will be decided on what kind of run we have in the playoffs is my guess. Even though a lot of people want him fired right now regardless of what happens. If we make it to the World Series can't see him going anywhere.
    If they make it to the WS, they should give him an extension even if they end up losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i like him. do you guys really hate the dude? i mean, at least he gives us a 1/2 inning break from whatever slug is sitting in for remy.....
    I don't like the ties!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If they make it to the WS, they should give him an extension even if they end up losing.
    This.

Not saying we aren't a good team but not so sure the World Series will be such a gimme like they were in 04 and 07. Dodgers, Nats and Cubs would be one hell of a tough series for the Sox.

If they win one series: one more year for Farrell.

If they win two series: extension for 2-3 years.

If they win the WS: extension for 4-5 years.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    This.

Not saying we aren't a good team but not so sure the World Series will be such a gimme like they were in 04 and 07. Dodgers, Nats and Cubs would be one hell of a tough series for the Sox.
    Tough crowd. In 2004, 2007, and 2013 the Sox had really good offenses and led the league (or near it) in runs scored, OPS, etc. Plenty of dingers too.

Indeed, in all three years the Sox led MLB in net runs scored vs. runs scored against--

In 2004 the Sox net was +180 and the Cardinals were the only ones better with + 187. Does anyone remember who we played in the WS?

In 2007 The Sox led MLB with + 210, and the next three were the Yankees at +191, the Indians at +115, and the Rockies at +110. Does anyone remember we played in the ALCS and WS that year?

In 2013--you must know where this is headed--the Sox led with +197, next were the Cardinals with +187, and next were the Tigers with +172.

So, wild and crazy though this might sound, just maybe a team's net--runs scored minus runs against--is a decent barometer for postseason success.

This year the Indians lead the MLB pack with +227 (a huge differential), then come the Yankees at +175 and the Dogers at +172, the Astros at +151, the Nationals at +144, the Diamondbacks at +143, and, finally, the Sox at +113.

And people want to dump Farrell because he failed to take this splendid hitting and pitching team all the way in 2017?

Our fundamentalists are no doubt wanting to say, "hold it. You forgot all those stupid boneheaded decisions by Farrell and his lassitude in preventing weak fundamentals on the basepaths and in the field. OSurely those are worth something because we all know those other mangers never make mistakes and their teams all play good, fundamental baseball all the freaking time. Surely that's worth at least 100 runs per season, which means the Sox really should be at +213. That's the difference between a Francona at the helm and a Farrell."

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Tough crowd. In 2004, 2007, and 2013 the Sox had really good offenses and led the league (or near it) in runs scored, OPS, etc. Plenty of dingers too.

Indeed, in all three years the Sox led MLB in net runs scored vs. runs scored against--

In 2004 the Sox net was +180 and the Cardinals were the only ones better with + 187. Does anyone remember who we played in the WS?

In 2007 The Sox led MLB with + 210, and the next three were the Yankees at +191, the Indians at +115, and the Rockies at +110. Does anyone remember we played in the ALCS and WS that year?

In 2013--you must know where this is headed--the Sox led with +197, next were the Cardinals with +187, and next were the Tigers with +172.

So, wild and crazy though this might sound, just maybe a team's net--runs scored minus runs against--is a decent barometer for postseason success.

This year the Indians lead the MLB pack with +227 (a huge differential), then come the Yankees at +175 and the Dogers at +172, the Astros at +151, the Nationals at +144, the Diamondbacks at +143, and, finally, the Sox at +113.

And people want to dump Farrell because he failed to take this splendid hitting and pitching team all the way in 2017?

Our fundamentalists are no doubt wanting to say, "hold it. You forgot all those stupid boneheaded decisions by Farrell and his lassitude in preventing weak fundamentals on the basepaths and in the field. OSurely those are worth something because we all know those other mangers never make mistakes and their teams all play good, fundamental baseball all the freaking time. Surely that's worth at least 100 runs per season, which means the Sox really should be at +213. That's the difference between a Francona at the helm and a Farrell."
    No, people want to fire him because this team has performed poorly and have played some really shitty, lacklaster and dumb baseball at times. This team was +184 just last year. Someone needs to be blamed for dropping over 60 runs with only losing one real player.

No, people want to fire him because this team has performed poorly and have played some really shitty, lacklaster and dumb baseball at times. This team was +184 just last year. Someone needs to be blamed for dropping over 60 runs with only losing one real player.
    Although Farrell has done some dumb things and I question some of the calls he makes on a regular basis. We did win a World Series under him and we are among the best teams pitching wise in the MLB. I obviously am not as against Farrell as a lot of the members are on this board....... The trouble with this team is we get a lot of our runs and hits in bulk. When this team hits a stride they are fantastic and among the best in baseball but when we cool down it's like they could give zero shits and are basically out there for a pay cheque. That is where Farrell as a manger needs to get them motivated to do their job. That is why I am waiting to see what happens in the Playoffs. A run to the World Series (especially beating a team like Cleveland) would do wonders for Farrell...... However another sweep in the first round is going to look extremely ugly on Farrell and I can't see him sticking around. Although at this point I really question who would do a better job than him. Managers like Francona are extremely rare. Teams are lucky to ever have a manager like that. We might lose Farrell and get something as bad or worse.

Travis Shaw was that important last season?

If anyone will go, it might be Chili Davis. Even allowing last season being career years for some, the drop off has been stunning. There's an old stat called runs produced,; it's runs scored + runs driven in - home runs (no double dipping); it's not perfect but in this case it is illustrative:

2016 2017 Difference
    Betts 204 165 -39
    Bradley Jr. 155 101 -45
    Bogaerts 183 132 -51
    Pedroia 164 97 -67
    Ramirez 162 79 -83

Pedroia has missed a lot of time this year, so that explains some of that large number but I was surprised how few runs Hanley produced last year; this year has been a cliff dive.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Meh. I hope you realize the Sox only need to go 7-5 in the next 12 games to finish with 93 wins, same as last year.

And let's not forget that the guy we lost was one David Ortiz, the crucial link to the great offenses of 2004, 2007, and 2013. Ortiz helped win two WS for Francona--remember him?--and another for Farrell. Without him, the hitting has unquestionably suffered, and that is most noticeable in the team's slugging percentage and number of dingers. Last year we were #1 in MLB in slugging and #9 in dingers, this year #26 in slugging and #27 in dingers, but we are still 10th in scoring.

Are you saying the slugging and dingers dropped off the table because Farrell makes dumb decisions and doesn't stress fundamentals? That's a hard sell.

I think that 10th in scoring, still in the top 1/3 in MLB, suggests that crazy, boneheaded baserunning might be helping more than hurting and that Farrell has adjusted pretty well to the precipitous drop in hitting with power.

I would love to claim credit for Farrell for the overall improvement in defense--pitching plus fielding--because so far, with 12 games to go, the Sox have given up just 616 runs, over 100 below last year's 729. But I give most of the credit to DD for getting Sale and earlier Pom and Porcello and this year Fister. Plus Kimbrel, Reed, et al. The pitching is better for the very simple reason that the pitchers are better (Porcello being the exception of course).

You are probably more of an aficionado of baseball than I, which explains why you hate weak fundamentals and I, appallingly, tolerate them--if such they are. I won't at all disagree that sometimes Farrell's decisions don't work out. I have raged against them myself. But overall I think there is a pretty good rationale for all of them and admit he has better information and more experience than I.

Finally Having Faith; OR These Guys Are Making Me Freakin' Crazy!!!

So last night it's 5-1; and being a semi-old fart AND pissed that Fister got whacked; AND we're in a hole early again; I decide to call it a night. So I get up about 2 a.m. and check my phone. Sox 10 Oriholes 8. DAMN!!! After 15 innings and now this! What are they going to do next?!! Walk on water?!! Having faith is the only answer; because if you don't have it; they will rub your nose in it. As well they should!!

G
    O SOX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    At least the Twins made them work for it. More than can be said for the Birds Thursday through Saturday.
    Matthew Kory‏Verified account @mattymatty2000

38 percent of the Yankees run differential this season (+174) has come versus the Orioles (+66)

That is just whack.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    More likely than not, both teams will be in the thick of a playoff race in a given year. MLB should schedule them the last two weekends every year.
    For the sake of my mental well being, I'm glad they don't do that every year.

Meh. I hope you realize the Sox only need to go 7-5 in the next 12 games to finish with 93 wins, same as last year.

And let's not forget that the guy we lost was one David Ortiz, the crucial link to the great offenses of 2004, 2007, and 2013. Ortiz helped win two WS for Francona--remember him?--and another for Farrell. Without him, the hitting has unquestionably suffered, and that is most noticeable in the team's slugging percentage and number of dingers. Last year we were #1 in MLB in slugging and #9 in dingers, this year #26 in slugging and #27 in dingers, but we are still 10th in scoring.

Are you saying the slugging and dingers dropped off the table because Farrell makes dumb decisions and doesn't stress fundamentals? That's a hard sell.

I think that 10th in scoring, still in the top 1/3 in MLB, suggests that crazy, boneheaded baserunning might be helping more than hurting and that Farrell has adjusted pretty well to the precipitous drop in hitting with power.

I would love to claim credit for Farrell for the overall improvement in defense--pitching plus fielding--because so far, with 12 games to go, the Sox have given up just 616 runs, over 100 below last year's 729. But I give most of the credit to DD for getting Sale and earlier Pom and Porcello and this year Fister. Plus Kimbrel, Reed, et al. The pitching is better for the very simple reason that the pitchers are better (Porcello being the exception of course).

You are probably more of an aficionado of baseball than I, which explains why you hate weak fundamentals and I, appallingly, tolerate them--if such they are. I won't at all disagree that sometimes Farrell's decisions don't work out. I have raged against them myself. But overall I think there is a pretty good rationale for all of them and admit he has better information and more experience than I.
    Good post.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by CTSox1 View Post
    So last night it's 5-1; and being a semi-old fart AND pissed that Fister got whacked; AND we're in a hole early again; I decide to call it a night. So I get up about 2 a.m. and check my phone. Sox 10 Oriholes 8. DAMN!!! After 15 innings and now this! What are they going to do next?!! Walk on water?!! Having faith is the only answer; because if you don't have it; they will rub your nose in it. As well they should!!

G
    O SOX!!!
    Don't feel too bad, I'm a genuine old fart, and I too went to bed when the score got to 5-1. You'd think at my age I'd know better, but damn, it seems I'll never learn. I did however stay up the following night for the miraculous 1-0 win on a passed ball in extra innings. They truly are the cardiac kids!

What it really boils down for me is I just don't think we can get anyone else that will do as good of a job as Farrell. Why take him out and replace him with somebody brand new who isn't familiar with the team. Our offense has been sluggish at the best of times this year there is no doubt about that But we also have a top 5 pitching rotation in the entire league as well as a pretty great defense. If Farrell and this team can make a nice playoff run and get through the Astros in the first round (which is who we will likely play) I don't see why Farrell would be taking a hike. A World Series championship 4 years ago and now back to back playoff appearances (this year without Ortiz) I am fine with Farrell. I can honestly say the man has made some questionable calls all year especially regarding pitchers staying in too long but that can happen with the best of managers and coaches.