Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 130

Thread: Drew Pomeranz was worth it

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I didn't like this trade when the Sox made it, especially for a very high profile prospect. But even at the steep price, Pomeranz has absolutely been worth it. I was wrong...
    I'm liking this thread primarily I guess because I liked the trade after seeing Pomeranz pitch against Detroit last summer. obviously this year has been special for him. I'm sure that it was a tough trade though to watch a young pitcher projected to be outstanding traded away. They don't come along everyday. Over the short term (as in 1,2 or 3 years) this has been a big win for us. Without him this year, I don't like our chances so much, and I like the fact that we are on top of the standings.

  2. #17
    I never viewed the price as steep, because i don't place a lot of value on 18 year old pitchers, unless the guy is 6'6" and already throwing 98.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  3. #18
    A trade for a pitcher was necessary at the time of this deal.

    I was nervous about his newfound starting status but I was not unhappy that we traded away an 18 year old.

    I think DD made the right move.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I never viewed the price as steep, because i don't place a lot of value on 18 year old pitchers, unless the guy is 6'6" and already throwing 98.
    But, how many times have the Sox had an 18 year old pitcher ranked in the top 20?

    I realize the Sox have not had much luck with pitchers in the system, and I understand that potential value is just that: potential.

    My issue was not so much about trading Espi, even though I'd have loved to have rolled the dice on him, but I thought we could have made a bigger package the winter before and got an ace or solid #2.

    I'm glad Pom has turned into a solid #2 this year. It was a little bumpy last year.

    I've never had anything against Pom. I thought he was a decent #3 or 4.

    So far, the deal looks great.

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    But, how many times have the Sox had an 18 year old pitcher ranked in the top 20?

    I realize the Sox have not had much luck with pitchers in the system, and I understand that potential value is just that: potential.

    My issue was not so much about trading Espi, even though I'd have loved to have rolled the dice on him, but I thought we could have made a bigger package the winter before and got an ace or solid #2.

    I'm glad Pom has turned into a solid #2 this year. It was a little bumpy last year.

    I've never had anything against Pom. I thought he was a decent #3 or 4.

    So far, the deal looks great.
    And they did a great job of overhyping this kid and getting a get return for him.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And they did a great job of overhyping this kid and getting a get return for him.
    We promise that his arm is perfectly fine! Even the part that was damaged at the time we signed him!
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  7. #22
    Let's not forget that Pomeranz was the player with the injury concerns at the moment of the trade, not Espinosa.

    I will say that Pomeranz has had a fantastic turnaround season though after sucking during the half year that he was initially with us after the trade.

    Maybe a lot of that had to do with his injury. And this is what we get with a healthy Drew Pomeranz.

    What I see in Drew is a pitcher who reminds me of how solid Derek Lowe was for the Red Sox. Drew is still young enough to further perfect his craft and boost up his ability to a strong #2.

    DD took a gamble by trading for Pomeranz and for Sale but so far those look like two stroke of genius trades.

    We would not be anywhere this season without Sale to anchor the starting rotation and Pomeranz to further solidify it.


    The only obvious DD gaffe so far is trading away Travis Shaw. But he more than made up for it by acquiring Nunez. One of the more underrated moves before the trade deadline.

    Of course the Red Sox free agency has also sucked - Price and Panda were lemons and we spent mega bucks on them.

    But if we can improve our performance in that area next year, I see good things in store for us. Most of the other moves made by the Red Sox front office have looked pretty good to date.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    And they did a great job of overhyping this kid and getting a get return for him.
    We don't know if he was overhyped.

    Plus, the Sox don't do the national rankings.

    He was highly thought of, before we even signed him.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    No here is something that definitely needs it's own thread..
    Thread fascist.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Though I try to find the answer to all the questions they ask
    Though I know it's impossible to go living through the past

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  10. #25
    I thought the deal for Pomeranz was an overpay, but it was necessary. What irked me the most about it was Dombrowski not backing out of the deal when he found out that Pom was damaged goods. I guess Dombrowski knew something that we didn't.

    It's too early to know whether this is a great deal or not, but right now, it looks great. Pom has been a huge part of our late season success.

    However, he is likely due for some regression next year.

  11. #26
    The Pomeranz deal was a huge overpay. I do not know what injury he had when he came over last year, but I am 100 percent sure he was injured at the time of the trade.

    I know in hindsight Espinosa blew out his elbow so the deal looks good now as well as next year, provided Pomeranz continues to throw well.

    In my mind, dave over paid in the Kimbrel trade and that set the stage for overpay expectations from every GM from that day toward.

    And for some reason, maybe due to desperation, dave has been biting the pillow on every trade since he got here.

    Sadly for us dave has taken to pillow biting like a duck to water!

  12. #27
    Too bad DD's FA signings haven't had the immediate success of the vast majority of his trades.

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    The Pomeranz deal was a huge overpay. I do not know what injury he had when he came over last year, but I am 100 percent sure he was injured at the time of the trade.

    I know in hindsight Espinosa blew out his elbow so the deal looks good now as well as next year, provided Pomeranz continues to throw well.

    In my mind, dave over paid in the Kimbrel trade and that set the stage for overpay expectations from every GM from that day toward.

    And for some reason, maybe due to desperation, dave has been biting the pillow on every trade since he got here.

    Sadly for us dave has taken to pillow biting like a duck to water!
    Clown post bro.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    let's hold off on sucking each others dicks for a few years and see what comes of the kid......
    I'm more than fine with this. In fact, we can hold off forever if you want. lol

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I didn't like this trade when the Sox made it, especially for a very high profile prospect. But even at the steep price, Pomeranz has absolutely been worth it. I was wrong...
    I always liked Pom ( as a solid #3), but at the time I thought it was a huge over pay. Last year it was, this year is wasn't. Anytime Pom performs better than a #3, I'm super-duper happy about it. His true potential was a bit of an unknown and it could've gone either way (and has quite a bit until recently). I still would've liked a far away SD prospect thrown in (like a scratch-off ticket). And we all know TJS is common enough now and better handled that it's not all doom and gloom for Espi's career. Bottom-line:We needed a solid mid-rotation starter more than we needed a potential Ace 3-4 years away prospect. No real complaints here from me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •