Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Pomeranz was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    One bone of contention: trading for a starter was "necessary", but Pom was not the only guy to trade for, and Espi was not the only guy we had to trade to get a starter.

It looks like DD picked a good starter for 2017-2018 maybe, but not really 2016 which was the major impetus of the trade, right? I get that.

Usually, GM trade good prospects for 2 month rentals. Getting 3 playoff cycles is a huge plus from this trade, despite the fact that the first one (P.O. cycle) did not work out too well.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/25/1...umors-deadline

Pomeranz was the best starter available at the deadline last year. Hill struggled with injuries and didn't pitch up to expectations down the stretch.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/25/1...umors-deadline

Pomeranz was the best starter available at the deadline last year. Hill struggled with injuries and didn't pitch up to expectations down the stretch.
    We don't know all the pitchers that were dangled and not traded.

Yes, on paper, Pom was the best pitcher (Apr-Jun) that got traded.

I agree, and if he is injury prone, that's part of the trade evaluation criteria (as with Espi), but my point was that I feel the "questionable" label is (at least) starting to peel away.
    I agree.

I was pushing to trade for Pom, like 6 weeks before the trade. When it happened (found out we traded Espi), all I thought was "Oh,boy... I hope I'm right".

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I agree.

I was pushing to trade for Pom, like 6 weeks before the trade. When it happened (found out we traded Espi), all I thought was "Oh,boy... I hope I'm right".
    Same here. i do have to say that regardless of how things ultimately ended up for him last year after I saw him lock up with Verlander in a pitcher's duel in Fenway, I really really liked the trade. Seeing him live made a difference. A big young lefty with lots of movement on whatever he throws. Glad that it has worked out for him so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    whatever Dojji just said, I'm on board with that.
    Me too.

It's common sense.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Nothing wrong with uncommon sense either.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I always liked Pom ( as a solid #3), but at the time I thought it was a huge over pay. Last year it was, this year is wasn't. Anytime Pom performs better than a #3, I'm super-duper happy about it. His true potential was a bit of an unknown and it could've gone either way (and has quite a bit until recently). I still would've liked a far away SD prospect thrown in (like a scratch-off ticket). And we all know TJS is common enough now and better handled that it's not all doom and gloom for Espi's career. Bottom-line:We needed a solid mid-rotation starter more than we needed a potential Ace 3-4 years away prospect. No real complaints here from me.
    That's it in a nutshell for me. IMO, the trade needed to be done.

Was that surgery predictable at the time of the trade?
    why does that matter to you?
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

All-Star
    I think I started the process of eating crow on this trade a few months back. I'm not writing off Espinoza by any means at this point, but Pomeranz has been superb this year. I haven't heard any news on this, but hopefully DD has already started thinking about working out an extension this winter.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/...be-even-better

Per FanGraphs’ wins above replacement, Pomeranz is the second-most valuable lefthanded starter among those qualified in the American League (you know who's No. 1). He's one of the 10 best starters in the AL overall.

Is this the year Pomeranz became the pitcher he always envisioned he would be?

“I don’t know, I mean, I had a pretty dang good year last year,” Pomeranz said, referring to a 3.32 ERA between the Padres and Sox, and an All-Star selection. “I think these last two years have been kind of you know, more what I wanted to be like. But I still, I don’t think I’m done yet, you know what I mean?”

Most pro athletes say there’s always room to improve. Pomeranz, however, was able to specify what he wants. The focus is on his third and fourth pitches: his cutter and his change-up.

“My changeup’s been really good this year,” Pomeranz said. “That’s something that still can go a lot further. And same with my cutter too. I still use it sparingly. I don’t think me just being a six-inning guy is the end of it for me either.

“You set personal goals. You want to throw more innings, cover more innings so the bullpen doesn’t have to cover those. Helps save them for right now during the year.”

I'm glad he realizes that he needs to figure out how to go more than 6 innings.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Nobody factors in the Park. Toughest Park to pitch in the Majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    why does that matter to you?
    Because we should not judge a trade in hind sight until the team control of all players expires.

It would be like me saying we didn't actually need Pom last year, because he ended up sucking, and we won anyways.

Legend
    Still say Padres make Espinoza a Reliever, (Closer). Quickest way to the Majors at this point.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-22-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Legend
    He'll be 21 when he gets on Field again, takes about 1 year to pitch to get his full strength again, 22,should be 100%. He makes the Majors by 24, that would be good as far as I'm concerned. If he's good.
    By that time both the Sox and Padres, will be different teams.
    Trades are made to help both teams, injury to Espinoza, makes this win for Sox. Unfortunate, but true.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-22-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Because we should not judge a trade in hind sight until the team control of all players expires.

It would be like me saying we didn't actually need Pom last year, because he ended up sucking, and we won anyways.

Ok..but I think we can get bogged down in the details too. Keeping Espinoza in the hope that he'd be ready in 2019 could very well affect the acquisitions we make in 2018 and what their performance is in 2019, 2020, and until Espinoza is actually ready to pitch again. How do we figure that into the equation?

When we start tracking things like this it soon starts to look like a "family tree' with branches off branches which yield branches of their own. The difference is that in MLB each branch bears a different "fruit" and that fruit's vale has to be figured in also - as well as the value of the players whom the "third generation" of players (fruit) gets traded for. It quickly becomes so unmanageable as cast doubt on any conclusion made from looking at it.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully