Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Drew Pomeranz was worth it

He has a clunker of a start and everyone talks about him being a 4th/5th starter again. Not surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He has a clunker of a start and everyone talks about him being a 4th/5th starter again. Not surprising.
    Oh, he's our #2 starter, not much doubt about that. But, I say again, he's our #2 largely because Price has been on the DL for big chunks of the season and came back too late to be a viable starter in the postseason. Porcello stinks this season despite the Cy Young last year. All those dingers are the result of his over-reliance on the fast ball and his inability to keep the ball low in the strike zone in an era when those shifts almost guarantee outs if the batter will hit a grounder. I think ERod right now is a better pitcher than Pom but agree he hasn't proven it yet. Lately, he's been pretty darn good, but, sadly, that could vanish. Heck, I still like Fister, but these days that's a hard sell.

Right now, despite my grievances about Pom, I think he is a sure starter in the first 3 games of the ALDS. If ERod gets another good start and Pom fumbles his next, maybe ERod is the #2. Porcello is still #4. And I'm not sure what happens to Fister.

And thank goodness Price right now represents a pretty good long reliever--say, 3 innings, maybe 4--if one of the starters falters.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 09-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Once Price is back to the starting rotation I will be interested to see where Poms goes. 3rd??

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Once Price is back to the starting rotation I will be interested to see where Poms goes. 3rd??
    Physically it looks to me as though E-Rod should be able to occupy the 3 hole if not be a solid #2. He is broad and strong. We will see how he matures mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Physically it looks to me as though E-Rod should be able to occupy the 3 hole if not be a solid #2. He is broad and strong. We will see how he matures mentally.
    That's what I like about the guy. He's broad-shouldered and thick through. He's a guy who should be able to generate some velocity when he wants to and some of his 'stuff' is practically unhittable. IMO if/when he gets his act together and finds the plate with more of his pitches he could very well be our#2. (translation - anyone else's #1, but he's pitching behind Chris Freakin' Sale!)
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Now that a few folks have agreed ERod and Price might actually be better than POM, I would like to return to the title of this thread and agree with those who argue Pom has worked out. I don't like him, but his numbers are pretty darn good, and there can be no doubt he was badly needed this year. To me he has indeed been worth it. In 2013 we let a great fielding SS--Iglesias--go to Detroit so we could pick up Jake Peavy as a partial replacement for Buchholz. Peavy wasn't that great in 2013, but he was enough and therefore worth it when the Sox went all the way. I only regret the loss of Iglesias because I really enjoy great defensive plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Now that a few folks have agreed ERod and Price might actually be better than POM, I would like to return to the title of this thread and agree with those who argue Pom has worked out. I don't like him, but his numbers are pretty darn good, and there can be no doubt he was badly needed this year. To me he has indeed been worth it. In 2013 we let a great fielding SS--Iglesias--go to Detroit so we could pick up Jake Peavy as a partial replacement for Buchholz. Peavy wasn't that great in 2013, but he was enough and therefore worth it when the Sox went all the way. I only regret the loss of Iglesias because I really enjoy great defensive plays.
    I still get really nervous with Price during playoffs but I am hoping if he is in the bullpen and gets some innings in during the playoffs it might spike his confidence a bit and hopefully he can play a full solid game in the rotation. Hopefully we can make a decent run and give Price some work during the post season....... I have never once thought Drew was better than Price regular season wise..... But there isn't a pitcher on our rotation that scares me more than Price during the playoffs.

Pom's velocity has been decreasing steadily for the past month or so. He was averaging 92 something and is now averaging 90 something. That is significant. Last night he was supposedly in the 87-89 range for the short time he was out there. He is also nearing the maximum number of innings he's ever pitched in a season. And then there is this:

Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats 3h3 hours ago

Along with velocity concern, Pom isn't getting swing and misses with his curveball. Only 11 on his last 203 and 3 on his last 86.

I'm not one to overreact to one bad outing, and I'm not. However, there may be legitimate cause for concern with Pom being tired.

Deity
    I think that Pomeranz did look tired.

I just want to give another shout out to Pom. I can't say enough how huge I think his performance yesterday was.

Also:

Drew Pomeranz made 10 starts against teams that have qualified for the 2017 postseason: the Sox went 9-1 in those games (6-1, 2.62 ERA).