Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Pomeranz was worth it

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I didn't like this trade when the Sox made it, especially for a very high profile prospect. But even at the steep price, Pomeranz has absolutely been worth it. I was wrong...
    I'm liking this thread primarily I guess because I liked the trade after seeing Pomeranz pitch against Detroit last summer. obviously this year has been special for him. I'm sure that it was a tough trade though to watch a young pitcher projected to be outstanding traded away. They don't come along everyday. Over the short term (as in 1,2 or 3 years) this has been a big win for us. Without him this year, I don't like our chances so much, and I like the fact that we are on top of the standings.

I never viewed the price as steep, because i don't place a lot of value on 18 year old pitchers, unless the guy is 6'6" and already throwing 98.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

A trade for a pitcher was necessary at the time of this deal.

I was nervous about his newfound starting status but I was not unhappy that we traded away an 18 year old.

I think DD made the right move.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I never viewed the price as steep, because i don't place a lot of value on 18 year old pitchers, unless the guy is 6'6" and already throwing 98.
    But, how many times have the Sox had an 18 year old pitcher ranked in the top 20?

I realize the Sox have not had much luck with pitchers in the system, and I understand that potential value is just that: potential.

My issue was not so much about trading Espi, even though I'd have loved to have rolled the dice on him, but I thought we could have made a bigger package the winter before and got an ace or solid #2.

I'm glad Pom has turned into a solid #2 this year. It was a little bumpy last year.

I've never had anything against Pom. I thought he was a decent #3 or 4.

So far, the deal looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    But, how many times have the Sox had an 18 year old pitcher ranked in the top 20?

I realize the Sox have not had much luck with pitchers in the system, and I understand that potential value is just that: potential.

My issue was not so much about trading Espi, even though I'd have loved to have rolled the dice on him, but I thought we could have made a bigger package the winter before and got an ace or solid #2.

I'm glad Pom has turned into a solid #2 this year. It was a little bumpy last year.

I've never had anything against Pom. I thought he was a decent #3 or 4.

So far, the deal looks great.
    And they did a great job of overhyping this kid and getting a get return for him.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

And they did a great job of overhyping this kid and getting a get return for him.
    We promise that his arm is perfectly fine! Even the part that was damaged at the time we signed him!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Let's not forget that Pomeranz was the player with the injury concerns at the moment of the trade, not Espinosa.

I will say that Pomeranz has had a fantastic turnaround season though after sucking during the half year that he was initially with us after the trade.

Maybe a lot of that had to do with his injury. And this is what we get with a healthy Drew Pomeranz.

What I see in Drew is a pitcher who reminds me of how solid Derek Lowe was for the Red Sox. Drew is still young enough to further perfect his craft and boost up his ability to a strong #2.

DD took a gamble by trading for Pomeranz and for Sale but so far those look like two stroke of genius trades.

We would not be anywhere this season without Sale to anchor the starting rotation and Pomeranz to further solidify it.

The only obvious DD gaffe so far is trading away Travis Shaw. But he more than made up for it by acquiring Nunez. One of the more underrated moves before the trade deadline.

Of course the Red Sox free agency has also sucked - Price and Panda were lemons and we spent mega bucks on them.

But if we can improve our performance in that area next year, I see good things in store for us. Most of the other moves made by the Red Sox front office have looked pretty good to date.

We don't know if he was overhyped.

Plus, the Sox don't do the national rankings.

He was highly thought of, before we even signed him.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    No here is something that definitely needs it's own thread..
    Thread fascist.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I thought the deal for Pomeranz was an overpay, but it was necessary. What irked me the most about it was Dombrowski not backing out of the deal when he found out that Pom was damaged goods. I guess Dombrowski knew something that we didn't.

It's too early to know whether this is a great deal or not, but right now, it looks great. Pom has been a huge part of our late season success.

However, he is likely due for some regression next year.

The Pomeranz deal was a huge overpay. I do not know what injury he had when he came over last year, but I am 100 percent sure he was injured at the time of the trade.

I know in hindsight Espinosa blew out his elbow so the deal looks good now as well as next year, provided Pomeranz continues to throw well.

In my mind, dave over paid in the Kimbrel trade and that set the stage for overpay expectations from every GM from that day toward.

And for some reason, maybe due to desperation, dave has been biting the pillow on every trade since he got here.

Sadly for us dave has taken to pillow biting like a duck to water!

Too bad DD's FA signings haven't had the immediate success of the vast majority of his trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    The Pomeranz deal was a huge overpay. I do not know what injury he had when he came over last year, but I am 100 percent sure he was injured at the time of the trade.

I know in hindsight Espinosa blew out his elbow so the deal looks good now as well as next year, provided Pomeranz continues to throw well.

In my mind, dave over paid in the Kimbrel trade and that set the stage for overpay expectations from every GM from that day toward.

And for some reason, maybe due to desperation, dave has been biting the pillow on every trade since he got here.

Sadly for us dave has taken to pillow biting like a duck to water!
    Clown post bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    let's hold off on sucking each others dicks for a few years and see what comes of the kid......
    I'm more than fine with this. In fact, we can hold off forever if you want. lol

I didn't like this trade when the Sox made it, especially for a very high profile prospect. But even at the steep price, Pomeranz has absolutely been worth it. I was wrong...
    I always liked Pom ( as a solid #3), but at the time I thought it was a huge over pay. Last year it was, this year is wasn't. Anytime Pom performs better than a #3, I'm super-duper happy about it. His true potential was a bit of an unknown and it could've gone either way (and has quite a bit until recently). I still would've liked a far away SD prospect thrown in (like a scratch-off ticket). And we all know TJS is common enough now and better handled that it's not all doom and gloom for Espi's career. Bottom-line:We needed a solid mid-rotation starter more than we needed a potential Ace 3-4 years away prospect. No real complaints here from me.