Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Pomeranz was worth it

Drew Pomeranz was worth it

He's gonna finish with somewhere around 180 innings of 143 ERA+ and around 4 WAR. His production is very lterally the difference between our current place in the division standings and being tied with or half a game behind the Yankees. After the regression of Price and Porcello, it's impossible to understate just how critical Drew Pomeranz is to this rotation.

Especially notable in light of the fact that Anderson Espinosa sucked last year and hasn't thrown a single pitch this year and had TJS after we successfully dumped him on San Diego. Especially because there was all this furor over how the Red Sox had supposedly spent Espinosa to purchase damage goods and those damaged goods have thrown over 200 innings of big league ball in the meanwhile.

Just thought that was worth bringing up
    Last edited by Dojji; 09-20-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

No here is something that definitely needs it's own thread..
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

He may be the best value in Baseball, and we got him for a kid with TJ surgery who will not get to MLB until 2020 or 2021 if ever.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

He may be the best value in Baseball, and we got him for a kid with TJ surgery who will not get to MLB until 2020 or 2021 if ever.
    Seeing that he won't even pitch until 2019, it was lucky that we dumped him when we did.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Seeing that he won't even pitch until 2019, it was lucky that we dumped him when we did.
    I never thought there was any reason to regret the trade, because his ETA was so far out under even ideal circumstances and so much can go wrong in an extended period of time. Now, the trade looks like a one-sided coup.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Like most trades for a prospect....TBD.
    Espinosa worth wont be known for a grip of years.
    of course now the MLB player will be "worth it". he's playing and contributing. nobody was expecting Espy on the 2017 Sox 25 man roster or 40 man for that matter.
    let's hold off on sucking each others dicks for a few years and see what comes of the kid......
    other names i have posted under: none

I think it depends on how long he stays this good. If he finishes out this year and rolls for the next 2, then yes. If he finishes this year and regresses or gets hurt, then it will be entirely dependent on Espinosa's progress. This isn't like they dealt a wing and a prayer minor leaguer. They dealt a top 25 prospect at 18 who threw like Pedro. If Espinosa comes out fine from TJS and is in the bigs dominating come 2020, then the deal could be a wash. As it stands right now, the win does appear to be in the sox favor
    Hal sucks

He has been absolutely fantastic all year long for us. What a great pick up for us and honestly is the one pitcher I think I fully trust right now going into playoffs. Sale since the All Star break has scared me, Porcello seems to be getting his groove back but inconsistent and same with Fister. Poms should win us whatever game he starts. Watching him this year has been fun. If Sale can find his form from the first half of the season and Porcello plays like he did last game along with Poms pitching like he has all season I really don't think there is a team (even Cleveland) that could stop us in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I think it depends on how long he stays this good. If he finishes out this year and rolls for the next 2, then yes. If he finishes this year and regresses or gets hurt, then it will be entirely dependent on Espinosa's progress. This isn't like they dealt a wing and a prayer minor leaguer. They dealt a top 25 prospect at 18 who threw like Pedro. If Espinosa comes out fine from TJS and is in the bigs dominating come 2020, then the deal could be a wash. As it stands right now, the win does appear to be in the sox favor
    What we have gotten from him between this year and last year for $3-4 million/ year has been worth it, even if Espinoza makes it to the majors in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Like most trades for a prospect....TBD.
    Espinosa worth wont be known for a grip of years.
    of course now the MLB player will be "worth it". he's playing and contributing. nobody was expecting Espy on the 2017 Sox 25 man roster or 40 man for that matter.
    let's hold off on sucking each others dicks for a few years and see what comes of the kid......
    That's all that happens on TS. What else are you here for?

Deity
    Good year, no question. Good acquisition. But am I the only one on edge with every batter he faces and all those pitches he throws each inning?

The knuckle curve is good, but he sometimes leaves it up. The so-so fastball works because he spots it well and picks the right times to throw it (in conjunction with the catcher of course).

Last night I saw a graphic that said, season to date, about 90% of his pitches are one or the other--fast ball or knuckle curve. After one inning, I don't remember which, I checked the location of every pitch for every batter, and it was clear to me he has gotten pretty good at working those corners while also moving the location around and alternating those two pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Good year, no question. Good acquisition. But am I the only one on edge with every batter he faces and all those pitches he throws each inning?

The knuckle curve is good, but he sometimes leaves it up. The so-so fastball works because he spots it well and picks the right times to throw it (in conjunction with the catcher of course).

Last night I saw a graphic that said, season to date, about 90% of his pitches are one or the other--fast ball or knuckle curve. After one inning, I don't remember which, I checked the location of every pitch for every batter, and it was clear to me he has gotten pretty good at working those corners while also moving the location around and alternating those two pitches.
    After 5 months of him working out of jams, I would have thought you would have developed a comfort level with him on the mound with men on base. He has been nothing short of extraordinary this season. You defend all sorts of bonehead plays, but Pomeranz worries you? Go figure. Your credibility is plummeting.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I think it depends on how long he stays this good. If he finishes out this year and rolls for the next 2, then yes.
    For clarification, 2018 is Pomeranz's final arb year. 2019 he's a free agent.

lol
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    I didn't like this trade when the Sox made it, especially for a very high profile prospect. But even at the steep price, Pomeranz has absolutely been worth it. I was wrong...