Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Sale

I think it's good that we stretched out Sale last night to get to 300, because now there's no pressure to pitch him the rest of the season. I assume he'll make his next scheduled start on Tuesday, because I figure the division race won't be over by then, but then he's slated to pitch game #162. That one, we can give him a break, unless for some reason, we're tied with NYY. Even this next start on Tuesday, does it make sense to have a pitch count on him, like say 85-90, especially knowing our bullpen? That way, we can likely trust our bullpen, even in a close game, to take some of the load off Sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    You have to get to the playoffs first if you have any intention of winning when you get there. The right decision was made last night with respect to Sale imo. I'm surprised that the issue was even brought up when looking at the slim lead that we have over the Yankees.
    I'm with you on this.

Play to win NOW.

Not sure about leaving him in to pitch the 8th but hey, it was a special night for the guy so we should just lighten up on that.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I live in Indiana where back in 70's we had one class state tournament pretty much for all sports.

In Indiana, first step is to win Sectionals (usually 5-8 teams).

Then came Regionals, 4 Sectional winners play on a Saturday, semi final games at 10 am and 12, then 4 pm final. (not too many schools had lights back then). My baseball coach pitched our 2nd best pitcher for morning game. We got down 8-0 or something, came back but lost 9-8.
    Our senior ace never saw the pitching mound. He was 'saved' for the championship game that never came.

Perhaps Sale won't have to make his last start and Sox can line up their starting rotation.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I'm with you on this.

Play to win NOW.

Not sure about leaving him in to pitch the 8th but hey, it was a special night for the guy so we should just lighten up on that.
    You know me - I'm with you no matter what! I think that it was an issue for them last night whether to bring him back out in the 8th or not. I wasn't sure who really was doing the talking and who was doing the listening in the dugout. They communicated, he came back out did what he needed and wanted to do and its over.
    I was taught this little saying early and I think that if there isn't a specific injury involved it still has merit.
    "What I had, I gave because what I saved, I lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I'm with you on this.

Play to win NOW.

A special night when he was throwing almost effortlessly. No stressful or long innings, most with a big lead. 4 runners all night.

Same number of pitches over 5-6 innings with lots of guys on base is a different story. 1-0 game is a different story.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

How is it any different that wanting to win the ALCS? Sale needs to save his bullets for the postseason. If he goes out and shuts down everyone in October, I'll eat crow again. If not, I hope some of you don't come up with other excuses.
    I'm not into the crow stuff. I'm just not taking this division for granted at all yet. The Yanks have 6 games left vs Toronto, 3 vs Rays, 1 vs KC. 7 are at home. They might win out. We have 4 left against Houston, and Houston is only one out in the loss column for best record in the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'm not into the crow stuff. I'm just not taking this division for granted at all yet. The Yanks have 6 games left vs Toronto, 3 vs Rays, 1 vs KC. 7 are at home. They might win out. We have 4 left against Houston, and Houston is only one out in the loss column for best record in the AL.
    I'm not taking the division for granted either. However, the bullpen has been fantastic. Sale has been about 50/50 in his starts. It appears he needs rest. The bullpen could take over for him and get a win especially when they have a substantial lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

If the bullpen was shaky, I could see a reason to keep going to Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This.

If we were the Dodgers or Astros it's a completely different story with a massive lead in the division....... But with only a 3 game lead over the Yankees (and with how red hot they have been) we still need to put our best players out there to win us games and hopefully the division. We finish the season with the Astros which will be an incredibly tough series and they have been on a roll as well. Yankees could easily win out. I would love to give some rest to some of our best players but unfortunately the division is just too close to do that. The Yankees have no slowed down so we can't either. I wanted Sale to have some rest last night but hey..... a game like that might be just what he needs in terms of confidence. Hopefully the rest of our pitchers are up to the task and we can give Price some more innings before playoffs roll around.

Why will the Astros series be incredibly tough? Shouldn't they be resting most of their starters by then?

I'm not taking the division for granted either. However, the bullpen has been fantastic. Sale has been about 50/50 in his starts. It appears he needs rest. The bullpen could take over for him and get a win especially when they have a substantial lead.
    Bullpen needed some rest too. We had played 8 straight days including a 15 inning game and 2 11 inning games.

Why will the Astros series be incredibly tough? Shouldn't they be resting most of their starters by then?
    Chances are they will be playing for the best record in AL

No one said incredibly tough. But they are one of the best teams and they might be playing for something.

Deity
    Based on how lights out that bullpen has been, I think that you bring up a good point. I kept waiting and watching to see if he was done even after 6. Because he had to wait a little longer than he had between innings, I thought that he was done after 7.
    You could see him in the dugout- didn't put his hat on right away and he didn't get right up and out early. I actually thought that he was done. Maddox was ready to go. I'm glad that it worked out. It was the first game this season that my wife actually stayed up to see through to its' end. When I mention the word sale to her, I don't think that it conjures up an image of Chris Sale!

In the intangibles department, I think not starting Sale last night would have sent a bad message to the team. Like 'No worries, boys, we've got this thing wrapped up, gonna start resting guys and setting things up for the ALDS...heh heh...'